Lasik surgery

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My surgery was $3500, and in Alberta you can claim it on your income tax as major medical, look into what BC has to offer.

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never knew you could claim it, i wonder if i still can claim it after 2 years? Any one know if it is still claimable now?
Total cost was about $3500 for myself and my benefits covers $1000. I had mine done at King Lasik.

hevy_chevy67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never knew you could claim it, i wonder if i still can claim it after 2 years? Any one know if it is still claimable now?
Total cost was about $3500 for myself and my benefits covers $1000. I had mine done at King Lasik.

Rules are weird for medical expenses. In your current tax year you can pick a 12 month block to claim. So for 2014 returns, the earliest you could go back is back to January 2, 2013 (would take you to January 1, 2014). If you paid for it after on or after January 2, 2013, you can claim it this year. Otherwise you would need to go back and amend your return from two years ago.

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I paid $1400 for mine at Lasik downtown. They went bankrupt 3 months later lol. I wonder if I could claim that after 14 years? :cool:

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with mine, initially they were light sensitive, i would see halos first couple weeks after surgery but that went away. I went to King Lasik and had no complaints. They were really thorough with their procedure and leading up to procedure. There are only two places I would personally go to in Edmonton area, Gimbel and King Lasik. I was referred to King as a friend had gone there, along with about five of her family members. Just make sure you do your research. Another friend of mine went to another place in Edmonton and the day of surgery they changed what procedure they were going to use, didn't secure the eye to cut her eye open with the scalpel (they told her just to look at the light) it was very unprofessional and she had to go back for corrective surgery.

I had mine done three years ago, the next day i was reading 20/20, the week after 20/15. The best money I've ever spent, and i truly believe cost shouldn't weigh a factor when dealing with your eyes as we do only get one set IMO.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well after 2 months it's now come down to next week. the initial appointment is next week Tuesday and if all goes good my surgery is booked for Wednesday. I am looking forward to smashing my work and my day to day glasses into little pieces. My income tax refund should be my bank account next week.

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm coming up on a year after having lasik done and nothing but good things to say, best money I've ever spent its made me a better sledder, dirt biker,skier EVERYTHING it amazing how much easier this stuff gets when u can see u won't regret

Pilsner

Reaction score
I had mine done, Lasik. That was 17 years ago, I was 27 years old. Good results, typical side effects, halos, poor night vision, that all went away with time. My vision is degenerating now at the age of 43, I don't need glasses yet but distance and the need for readers will come. Best investment to the quality of life.

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had mine done in Calgary 4 months ago and man is it sweet not haven to wear contacts or glasses anymore !!! Well worth it and I wish i would have done it a long time ago .

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where in Calgary did you have yours done? my is going to be at Lasik in downtown Calgary
Had mine done in Calgary 4 months ago and man is it sweet not haven to wear contacts or glasses anymore !!! Well worth it and I wish i would have done it a long time ago .

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same place your going , stayed in the hotel right near the lasik center . You will not regret it !!!!

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome thanks the hotel is booked right next door will give a report next week after I can see.
Same place your going , stayed in the hotel right near the lasik center . You will not regret it !!!!

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lucky.
I did it 10-12 years ago.
Best money I I ever spent.
I am getting old man eyes now but my corrected vision is still 20/15.
It's funny in the hotel. Everybody is walking around with the same dark glasses on..
Only tough part is smelling your own eyeballs cooking....
Just sayin'

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY Turnks.. I can't smell so will be just walking around with the dark glasses
Lucky.
I did it 10-12 years ago.
Best money I I ever spent.
I am getting old man eyes now but my corrected vision is still 20/15.
It's funny in the hotel. Everybody is walking around with the same dark glasses on..
Only tough part is smelling your own eyeballs cooking....
Just sayin'

drop the hammer

Reaction score
I got mine done winter of 1999 in Edmonton. Went sledding later that same week. That trip was a pain in the ass as I had to put eye drops in continually as the eyes were very dry from the surgery, stopped many times on the trail up in Valemont, i had better luck with the gel eye drops. After they healed and the various eye drops were done (which sucks, i can't recall totally but I think it was like a month of them, maybe it's less now) it was just awesome to not have contacts or glasses. Now 16 years later and still great!!
I did get some minor halo's during night driving but nothing too bad (at the time i was driving 12,000 Km's a month doing field work). I don't even notice it now.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sure getting a lot of great comments about the surgery and about afterwards

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had mine done almost 10 years ago. I looked at LASIK and Gimbal but in the end I decided on IQ Laser in Edmonton. One surgeon, state of the art equipment and perfect results. In the initial consult they will honestly tell you if you are a good candidate or not. Pretty cool eye analysis. More expensive but hey it's your eyes. PM me if you want more details.

Top Bottom