Large Avalanche in McBride - Renshaw Jan 29 - 17 involved - 5 Passed RIP

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
listening to a CBC news report today about the inspectors measuring the size of the avy etc...they said it was a 700 meter wide fracture at the crown. if it happened where I think it did (on the "stairs") that's an incredible amount of snow that must have funneled down that trough.

kind of makes me shiver to think of all the times our group has gone up or come down there.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
listening to a CBC news report today about the inspectors measuring the size of the avy etc...they said it was a 700 meter wide fracture at the crown. if it happened where I think it did (on the "stairs") that's an incredible amount of snow that must have funneled down that trough.

kind of makes me shiver to think of all the times our group has gone up or come down there.
There's a YouTube video showing the snow cloud coming from that avalanche, and it is INSANE!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a YouTube video showing the snow cloud coming from that avalanche, and it is INSANE!!

If it's this one, I'm pretty sure that was a controlled avalanche set off by highways dept. and not the one that killed the sledders. All the vehicles backed up and a heli already in the air lead me to that assumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AZiLK8-b2Q

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Makes me shiver too as we too have passed through there many times, and I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I would like to know what the trigger was?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This was not on the stairs. It was on the way back to Spirit lake.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the gps coordinates? Id like to check it out on google earth.

Thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the gps coordinates? Id like to check it out on google earth.

Thanks
took a screen shot of my google earth, coordinates on the lower right corner

spirit%20lake1_zpsfi1aztai.png

mlins18

Reaction score
Just to clarify, this is over the last saddle as you are starting to make your decent down onto spirit?

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

lsone

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
RIP. Heartbreaking to hear :/

We've had 3 very tragic events this winter, I really think we can all benefit knowing what happened. Im wondering how many were on the mountain riding when it slid, if they were having a break at the bottom and couldn't get out of the path, etc.

Last edited:

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found myself getting wrapped up in finding out exactly where this happened, like many of you.

Then it dawned on me, IT DOESN'T MATTER. If you look at the route to Spirit Lake, there are several serious concern areas after dropping down and north of the back side, and we have rode by all of them many times. We are not into high marking, so we don't poke the big hills, but we have certainly passed through some dangerous areas on a regular basis.

With all tragedy we must learn.

We need to ride every slope like it could let go at any time, minimize risk and use the numbers of our group to our advantage.

My heart breaks for everyone involved.

Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sure is back there. Never been back that area. How long does it take on average to get back to the lake?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
pin b of the above map
i was right.... Always cornices way up above the ridge on the peak,. At the "b" on that map(where that trail juts to the left) you either side hill just below the ridge, or drop down and around like the trail shows ... Always a chit show getting back up, because of small trees, rocks and ice... Someone always gets in trouble there. Creek/small valley and trees makes it a terrain trap.... All the times we've been back to spirit and beyond, never seen an avy in that area.... :(

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was right.... Always cornices way up above the ridge on the peak, and you either side hill just below the ridge, or drop down and around... Always a chit show getting back up, because of small trees, rocks and ice... Someone always gets in trouble there. Creek/small valley and trees makes it a terrain trap....

We stick to the bottom of that area when passing through and yes this is the bottleneck of going to Spirit Lake.
This is the 15th year I have been going to Spirit and usually make about three trips a year.

First time I have even heard of this areas sliding - so so terrible that people where in the area.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't even count how many times we have dropped that slope instead of taking the side hill around. Sobering moment......Wake up call to re-evaluate the terrain we consider safe. Like Summitric said above, have never seen any sign of slide activity on that slope, but there is a definite terrain trap at the bottom.

Top Bottom