KX450f or YZ450f for a timbersled mounain horse???

taylorgboom

Reaction score
I am stuck between the 2 bikes, ideally I would buy a KTM 500, but I race motocross in the summer so it will be a dual purpose bike, and from what I understand the new 450's are making about 60HP! Also, LT or ST? some say there is no real advantage to having the LT unless it is on a big bike and in 4 feet of powder.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I guess that depends what you would rather race in summer. and perhaps price and what your dealership is like to deal with.... but faced with those options I would go green

Cberg

Reaction score
I have ridden with guys on both bikes. I don't know if Yamaha is using the air fork now but if they are not I would probably go with the Yamaha, I have read the air fork isn't ideal for winter use. Both bikes do work very well and dealer support and convience would be a huge deciding factor.

Last edited:

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with the yz450f for my snow bike,, I race a KTM 350 and prior yoo that a yz450f cant beat yammies motors and suspension, there stator puts out enough power to run lights and heated grips.. Not sure if the kawi stator does? Plus the newer kawi has air forks no good in winter.. The ktm 450sxf would be a great mx/snow bike I woulda went that route but got a great deal on my yammi.. Stator on ktm sxf need to be upgraded as well to run lights etc

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Kx will start way easier when it's minus 20 or after diving it to the pin for long periods of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powdermuncher

Reaction score
YZF all the way better fork and on the snowkit ouperforms most anything else bone stock -- that ass backward engine layout seems to work better for snow, she realy lifts the skis and goes

sorsy

Reaction score
I am running a 2012 KX450F and love it..yes the KTM is nice for the e-start and enough jam to run a headlight and heated grips but once again you can only run 1 or the other at a time...I have a headlight but no heated grips..you can get the combo for the kx from Cyclops if that's the way you want to go...I just did not want to spend the big money, I just pack a few more pairs of gloves..i really love the close ratio trans compared to the WR just seems easier in the tight trees, but once again that is all up to your riding styles. Not sure if the new 15's KX are running an air fork still but if they are you can get a used set of oil/spring forks and throw them on in the winter. the KX starts so easy you can actually start it with your hand when warm...had to do it a couple times the way I was hung up in the trees...I run a thermo-bob thermostat on mine spliced in a temp gauge and it ran at 180*F all day long...I made a home-made engine shroud out of crazy carpet to keep the snow off and got rid of the stock air box went with a UNI filter from Timbersled works great no snow issues anymore. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Top Bottom