Seriously thinking about a snowbike

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some input and advice from any experienced snowbikers. I got out of sledding for 6/7 years and bought a new Summit last fall. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful machine but I think my riding style is more suited to a bike. Here's what I'm thinking of building...

2015 KTM 500 EXC..I still want to ride the street in the summer.
2016 MH LT with TSS

Any thoughts on my bike selection, upgrades I should do, ST or LT...anything at all would be great. A bit more info...I'm around 200 lbs and prefer boondocking and powder riding.

Thanks and happy riding!!

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
I have tried one this past weekend and it was ST which the guys all say for tree riding is the best. It was the new kit from timber sled and must say was impressed. Looking at having them for next season at Alberta Cycle, should have some prices on them soon. That's a big maybe not sure if they will be a big hit?

Last edited:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ridden with both TS and Yeti kit. Yeti kit is so much lighter and efficient it's crazy. The KTM is the way to go.

McGrath

Supporting Vendor, Alberta Cycle
Reaction score
Have no idea which ones work best still trying to hook up a ride with Jamie to compare then I guess could make a proper decession, but again Im no expert either was just saying was impressed how well it did handle. although the guy tried following me down the hard pack trail and that scared the **** out of me to have a bike ghost riding beside me while I was on my sled, ouch is all I can say. Hope they get that part figured out.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at this seriously as well after riding a couple this winter. I have been really thinking about the new SX 137 as opposed to the LT. Have heard the SX kit handles much better being narrow and with a 137 it would still give some flotation in the deep and steep.

My only holdback right now is i wouldnt want to buy a new bike and want to use my Husky TE300. I think the 300 is a powerful engine as far as 2 strokes go but not sure it would have the torque to run the track as well as a 4 stroke. Would be nice and light though for sure.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Amen to your signature ducati...that's sweet!! I haven't been looking at the SX but I know on the new ST and LT it looks like they've come out with a suspension similar to BRP's t-motion...that along with being able to utilize the mono shock now should make it a pretty incredible ride. I think I've already convinced myself this is the route I'm going to go but would still like to take one for a spin. I know a lot of guys are set up on 2 strokes but to be able to ride the street in summer gotta go with 4. I picked the KTM just because its the only one I found with EFI and I really don't want to go backwards and start messing around with carbs at altitude again. My biggest concern was what I would need to do to make the bike more "winter" friendly. The only thing that kinda spooks me like McGrath said was the packed trail riding, I hear they can be a little squirrelly!!

Anybody looking for a new Summit that's not even broke in yet?lol

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on the snow bike idea:

I have a 2014 KTM EXC 500 and love the bike and too would love to try a kit on it. It is a big hit to the wallet to do both the bike and the snow bike kit. Next problem would be finding friends to ride with and loading on to a truck deck. Finally I hear that the kits take a toll on the motor and a regular rebuild can be in store for frequent riders?

So far the Polaris Pro has satisfied my need to feel like I am on a dirt bike in the winter, A Ski-Doo never felt as much as a dirt bike and I rode those for many years.

I hear that in the USA, 3 states have banned snow bikes, I assume they just don't fit in a traditional category. Anyway my decision would be helped along if I could ride it on Alberta snowmobile only trails without being ticketed just because its registered as a motorcycle.

I don't mean to get your thread side tracked, rather, just throwing out my thoughts to help you make a well thought decision.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have some of the same concerns with the snow bike idea for sure, after riding a couple the concerns fell out of my mind for a second with how fun it was in the trees and sidehills.....

One of the reasons i would like to go two stroke is for the maintenance factor for sure. I can see these being tough on engines and a rebuild on my 300 is only a small fraction of what a rebuild on a 450 4 stroke is. The other regular maintenance is cheaper on my 300 as well, i sold my 450SXF a couple years ago and it always seemed i was spending money on something (oil, filters, valve checks, etc...) whereas the 300 i throw some oil in the gas, tranny oil in and away i go.

I hear ya with the concern about loading on a deck, i use a deck all the time and was looking at that to figure out what would be a safe way of loading. A winch on the headache rack came to mind but i am still not sure.

Basically right now i can see myself riding my Pro again next year unless someone comes along and wants to buy it for the right money, then i would be buying a snowbike kit. At that point i think i would either look at the Yeti 137 or the Timbersled SX137.

If i was to buy a new bike along with the kit i would most definitely look at the Husky or KTM 500 with street legal capability. One of those in the summer with my supermoto wheel and brake setup would be unreal to ride in the city.

Big Diesel

Reaction score
I've rode sleds for years, in the fall of 2013 I bought a Ktm500 and put a timbersled kit on it, once u have it the sled will sit in the garage, I put 35 miles on my 2013 pro that winter and 18 day on the snowbike, I love the bike just my 2 cents

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, some very good information to consider. Interesting about some states banning the bikes. I'm not sure what the reasoning would be to do that as long as things are insured and registered properly but worth looking into. Big Diesel if it's not too much to ask I'd sure be interested in having a peek at your setup sometime, I see we don't live too far apart...or if you're going for a ride through the Pass look me up. I won't be back from work until the end of the month, the way this winter has gone I'm thinkin the riding might be done by then but who knows. Anyone else with more to ad to the thread feel free...pics are always good too.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts on the snow bike idea:

I have a 2014 KTM EXC 500 and love the bike and too would love to try a kit on it. It is a big hit to the wallet to do both the bike and the snow bike kit. Next problem would be finding friends to ride with and loading on to a truck deck. Finally I hear that the kits take a toll on the motor and a regular rebuild can be in store for frequent riders?

So far the Polaris Pro has satisfied my need to feel like I am on a dirt bike in the winter, A Ski-Doo never felt as much as a dirt bike and I rode those for many years.

I hear that in the USA, 3 states have banned snow bikes, I assume they just don't fit in a traditional category. Anyway my decision would be helped along if I could ride it on Alberta snowmobile only trails without being ticketed just because its registered as a motorcycle.

I don't mean to get your thread side tracked, rather, just throwing out my thoughts to help you make a well thought decision.

Just get the ST kit and be done with it.

As far as taking a toll on the motor, the way they gear the kits doesn't put any more load on the motor than if you were riding it normally. You will tend to rev it out a little more if the bike is under power, so basically anything under a 450 4 stroke or 300 2 stroke from what I have seen.

The fun factor is ever lasting I think. Once I rode one I didn't want to get off it! I will be watching for either a early model used FI four stroke or a 300 xcw and then either go with a used ST kit as you can find 14-15 model years for $4000-5000 right now, or go all out on the '16 ST. Ideally if I can have a snowbike for $8000ish thats not to bad.

A '15 500 with the LT is going to be quite the machine! Not sure why you couldn't find other FI bikes, pretty much all the new four's are FI.

Clay911

Reaction score
we rented 2 bikes in Feb of this year and since riding them one day i have not rode my sled again( i put over 2000 km a year on in the mountains) i bought a 300 XC and sno checked a 16 ST. Sled is for sale.

Nothing is like it. can go places no one else can and ride fresh snow every day of the year. No brainer.

if you want more info fast check out the snobike category on snowest, they are very active compared to here. every question you could have has been answered over their.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just snowchecked a Yeti and cant wait! Im running a 2011 KTM 530exc which is setup as a full motard right now and its a monster on the street, has as much torque as my cummings, lol. Selling my deck and just going to load it in the box as i seem to drive myself when ever i want to ride anyways so the deck money will go to the yeti purchase. Now just need to find more snow bikes to ride with as sledders will be boring, hahahaha

Reaction score
i think any bike will work if youre riding with other bikes. if you're riding with sleds youre going to need some more power.

the deck thing is easy. put a strip of superglides in the middle of your ramp. get a wireless ATV winch and wire it up on the deck. they winch up pretty easy. jsut clip the cable onto the peg closest to you and walk it up. thats how i do it. 3rd season now and i might change the fabric line on it. it wears a bit rubbing on the back of the deck. decks are still nice as you can haul more gear, a sled ect.

if you have a carb make sure its heated by coolant somehow. my setup is pretty hokey pokey but it works great.

budget about 1/2 as much fuel as you do on a sled.

got one ride on my yeti a weekend or two ago.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think any bike will work if youre riding with other bikes. if you're riding with sleds youre going to need some more power.

the deck thing is easy. put a strip of superglides in the middle of your ramp. get a wireless ATV winch and wire it up on the deck. they winch up pretty easy. jsut clip the cable onto the peg closest to you and walk it up. thats how i do it. 3rd season now and i might change the fabric line on it. it wears a bit rubbing on the back of the deck. decks are still nice as you can haul more gear, a sled ect.

if you have a carb make sure its heated by coolant somehow. my setup is pretty hokey pokey but it works great.

budget about 1/2 as much fuel as you do on a sled.

got one ride on my yeti a weekend or two ago.

Is that a 500 in a newer frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
i like it. only rode it once may long weekend but its alot lighter for sure. i geared it taller and it still seems to go thru the gears quicker than i recall ever before. the front ski grips real nice. i suspect washing out the front end is a thing of the past. fit and finish is A+

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a kit ST in 2014 and put it on a newer yz450f.. Never tried one before but new it would be a blast in the trees. Its crazy where you can go and effortless pretty much to ride compared to sled..On the trail the thing is a blast as well as long as theres alittle bit of soft snow the thing rails the corners with tons of traction. I upgraded to the 15 kit last year didnt feel much different than my 14 kit. Lots of changes to the 16 kits and with the yeti in the game will be interesting to see how these machines progress.. Soon as a guy can get some decent reliable hp on these things my sled will be for sale

Harooch

Reaction score
Basically, Snowbiking is the greatest sport ever to grace this planet. Haha, but really, it is incredibly fun and addictive and you'll probably permanently park your sled once you have one. I had been sledding for about 7 years, got the snowbike, sold the sled immediately, and now dream of snowbiking year round. I'm on a 2010 CRF 450r and a 2014 Short Track. Going to do the TSS upgrade for this coming winter.

You can't ride with sledders--that is definitely annoying because most sledders are skeptical of snowbikes still, and there's not a ton of other snowbikers--hopefully that changes soon. It's kind of fun when you first get your snowbike to go out with sledders and show them what they are missing, but it quickly loses its appeal because you immediately disappear into the tight trees and gullies and crazy sidehill zones and they are just stuc mostly on the single track or the easy open areas and you never really see them again for the rest of the day until you pop back up to show them you're still alive.

Loading onto a deck is something you will figure out in the first 10 minutes and is a non-concern...I just walk my bike up my ramp, no biggie.

I stuck a thermostat on my MX bike, Rekluse Clutch (helpful), oversized gas tank, fmf pipe for some extra HP, some over sized bark busters, and some good skid and rad guards. Other than that, just bolt on your kit and let the ultimate glory begin.

I am a huge seller/advocate/preacher/bragger/proclaimer of all things snowbike. Just get one, you can't really understand the fun factor until you've spent some time on one and really experienced the true freedom of exploration that they give you. It's like no other machine--you just point and shoot and go where ever you want. It's like dirt biking in some perfect Utopia heaven place.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically, Snowbiking is the greatest sport ever to grace this planet. Haha, but really, it is incredibly fun and addictive and you'll probably permanently park your sled once you have one. I had been sledding for about 7 years, got the snowbike, sold the sled immediately, and now dream of snowbiking year round. I'm on a 2010 CRF 450r and a 2014 Short Track. Going to do the TSS upgrade for this coming winter.

You can't ride with sledders--that is definitely annoying because most sledders are skeptical of snowbikes still, and there's not a ton of other snowbikers--hopefully that changes soon. It's kind of fun when you first get your snowbike to go out with sledders and show them what they are missing, but it quickly loses its appeal because you immediately disappear into the tight trees and gullies and crazy sidehill zones and they are just stuc mostly on the single track or the easy open areas and you never really see them again for the rest of the day until you pop back up to show them you're still alive.

Loading onto a deck is something you will figure out in the first 10 minutes and is a non-concern...I just walk my bike up my ramp, no biggie.

I stuck a thermostat on my MX bike, Rekluse Clutch (helpful), oversized gas tank, fmf pipe for some extra HP, some over sized bark busters, and some good skid and rad guards. Other than that, just bolt on your kit and let the ultimate glory begin.

I am a huge seller/advocate/preacher/bragger/proclaimer of all things snowbike. Just get one, you can't really understand the fun factor until you've spent some time on one and really experienced the true freedom of exploration that they give you. It's like no other machine--you just point and shoot and go where ever you want. It's like dirt biking in some perfect Utopia heaven place.
Great first post! Thanks for your input!

Top Bottom