KX 250 Dirt Bike Clutch Issue

Reaction score
Good Day

I have a 2000 KX 250 and for the life of me I cant get the clutch to disengage. I can see the cable actuating the levered shaft going into the case but it doesn't seem to do anything... any ideas a great help .
Thanks

SAVAGE420

Reaction score
Website
www.bansheehq.com
Pull your cover and clutch out and check your basket for groves and to see if it's worn out.

Also mabey your push rod welded its self to the ball bearing.

Pull the clutch cover and have a look see.

Reaction score
whats the trick to getting the clutch out? there are 5 bolts holding the outside cover of the basket.... will it explode apart by removing these bolts? I f anybody has a generic exploded view of the clutch it would be appreciated.

SAVAGE420

Reaction score
Website
www.bansheehq.com
whats the trick to getting the clutch out? there are 5 bolts holding the outside cover of the basket.... will it explode apart by removing these bolts? I f anybody has a generic exploded view of the clutch it would be appreciated.

Nope, just undo the bolts with the springs under them one by one that holds the pressure plate on. It will NOT spring apart at you. Just make SURE when you go to tighten the bolts that hold the springs on the pressure plate that you tighten them in a criss cross pattern and DO NOT over tighten them at all, 8ftlbs per bolt is what you want there. No more.

Pull the pressure plate off and the clutch plates are right there to check out.

Here is a pic of a 2000 KX250 clutch assembly to look at to get an idea whats in there. Its real simple and easy to do, should take 20-30 minutes tops from clutch cover off to basket off.

What i do is lay my bike on its side then its way easier to work on and the rest off the tranny oil doesn't go everywhere.

Ask more questions if you cant figure something out.
Good luck.

2000KX250L2US_E1350.gif

Reaction score
Hey Savage 420

Thanks for the help and the picture it helped alot. I found the discs to be stuck together hard and it was tough getting them apart. A fair bit of water also came out with the oil when I drained it too, probably sat like that since the last guy rode it. Couple of quick questions for ya.... can I take a wire wheel to the metal only discs to clean them up... and what kind of oil does the clutch take?

Thanks in advance
MC

SAVAGE420

Reaction score
Website
www.bansheehq.com
Hey Savage 420

Thanks for the help and the picture it helped alot. I found the discs to be stuck together hard and it was tough getting them apart. A fair bit of water also came out with the oil when I drained it too, probably sat like that since the last guy rode it. Couple of quick questions for ya.... can I take a wire wheel to the metal only discs to clean them up... and what kind of oil does the clutch take?

Thanks in advance
MC

IMO, i would replace all the plates and fibers with new if they were stuck together and water sitting on them for a while.

The water issue sounds to me like the water impeller seal is gone, leaking into the clutch cover and mixing with the oil and needs to be replaced.(cheep easy fix).

I use bel-ray gear saver for tranny fluid in my banshee. Works great.

Top Bottom