krazycanadian.com
2000' - 7 inches
3000' - 25 inches
4000' - 38 inches
5000' - 6'.2"
6000' - 7'.3"
7000' - 7'.6" to 8'.9"

snowpack up the Norns Range Jan 21 / 2010

firm base windblown, deep and soft in the trees at alpine and below, trails both were groomed Tuesday and Thursday last week and Goose creek held up well, but Ladybird creek got trashed yesterday...

KrazyCanadian

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
krazycanadian.com
not much new snow in the last 7 days, but here's what it looks like up on the norns range.

jan2010166.jpg

Castlegar club cabin,, 6350' elevation , looking down on Castlegar under the fog

jan2010167.jpg

Groomed trail's have been outstanding this year, the new moggle master drag works fantastic.

jan2010168.jpg

jan2010170.jpg

jan2010173.jpg

View of the range looking from the Airport, looking over at Cougar ridge, and Ladybird.

jan2010192.jpg

And a view from Cougar ridge looking back at the Airport. and Jokers Knob

jan2010194.jpg

jan2010193.jpg

Castlegar down below, looking from the ridge beside Cougar.

jan2010183.jpg

looking north up the Slocane Valley, from Jokers Knob

jan2010184.jpg

Looking at the back side of Cougar from Jokers knob.

Last edited:

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great pictures dan, thanks. when she starts snowing we may have to do a ride

Stocky

Reaction score
Hey Dan,
Great pics, have you had a chance to check out Rover's recently? Thinking of hitting that area next Saturday. :cool:

Glenn

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hay Colin is the Apex up and running? We may be around your neck of the woods next Saturday will see on conditions looking forward to riding the Norns again then on Sunday off to Meteor Mine climbs. Btw we had a blast in Revy nothing broken a minor Boondocker problem on the M8 but man we had some good laughs :d

That groomed trail looks sweet, Stocky I think FB could ride the Blizzard up to the cabin now!

shiznitt100

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a rb3 and just trying to set fuel and timing now, having a hard time getting the lap top to stay charged long enough to tune, i have another pc comming tonight so off i go up lady bird. conditions right now are like spring, all set up and can climb anything. we are to get snow this week and it is needed. i will be around both weekends. hope to see you guys again and maybe ride this time.
what happened to boondocker?,

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure lets hook up either Ladybird / or Airport Saturday I’ll call you Friday night! The Boondocker on the 09 M8 ya I left the parking lot at Boulder all was great a km from the cabin bogging big time almost like a high temp bog but no flash / like running on one cylinder pulled the plugs clutch side seemed like is was not firing plugs were bad so replaced them with new, bang off I went good for 5 min bogging again so good old Hairy Mark stopped by see if all was good we were scratching our heads tweaked the numbers a bit leaned it out still bogging then it cleared up all started running good for the rest of the weekend had it a little lean so fattened it up a bit ran great. Put a new shift assist in and a modified boot back on the SLP High Flow air intake but this should not of caused this, all is running great now very odd, thought maybe even a wire I will check it over again.

Going to ride the 900 next weekend haven’t had a good run on it yet this year after the mods and love climbing with that beast I was going to fill the NOS up but if the climbing is spring like in the Norns maybe not.

KrazyCanadian

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
krazycanadian.com
Rover has the same conditions as the Norns Range, Empire near Kaslo and Meadow Mtn, also very similar....

No New snow really this week also, almost 14 days with only an inch here and there new...

Norns is getting trashed quickly....

devildogg

Reaction score
Rover has the same conditions as the Norns Range, Empire near Kaslo and Meadow Mtn, also very similar....

No New snow really this week also, almost 14 days with only an inch here and there new...

Norns is getting trashed quickly....

I am coming over from the East Kootenays to ride in a week or so I will bring snow :d
DarrenDsBasin.jpg

ww004.jpg

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still like spring riding in the kootenays some fresh up top last few day's, good snow to hook up and go. Rode Barrett last weekend some small natural avy's have came down most danger zones looked to have slid but caution in this area.
Meteor Mine Hill Climbs were great last Sunday, nice to see Cam Hicks take that stock 600 up and over, some good climbing was had by all!

IMGP0596.jpg

IMGP0594.jpg

IMGP0603.jpg

IMGP0601.jpg

Coxy

Reaction score
Couldn't of gotten a much nicer day for Meteor for sure hey?? I hope to have most of the carnage from Meteor fixed for this commin week, hopin for a lil bit of snow!!
How was barrett, was there enough snow to climb some of it?

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barrett was great did some good climbing that day the south end bowl you can get up and over save some ride time rather then going up Huckelberry hut end to get up past 7000' + level the north west side did a great pull up the chute 1100 ft str8 up from the lake and go left lol here you can also access the upper side of Dominion no one followed me :eek: so never went up further past into the second level. Watch for skiers Heli Pin up top and they drop down into Barrett, I was up at Lost Lake a month back lots of trees have growen up no climbing that day there is a few nice chutes to pull but need more snow, however the Ice fishing was great! Barrett riding was much better the Cabin was looking a bit run down may have to take the Jeep in this summer fish and fix her up a bit. New snow falling this week so may be a whole new ball game up there now, some major avy run out zones to cross to access Barrett, be safe man!

Did you see that guy launch her at Meteor, looked like superman he and the sled got what 40 50 + Ft of air time and all was good not a thing broke I hear. That was not you I hope? the only real carnage I seen other then that was at the Salmo Hotel later on that day lol?

Coxy

Reaction score
Yeah man, those slide runouts goin into barrett send some chills down your spine. Last year they slid down through the bottom of that creek and up the other side at the same level or higher as you sit on the opposing side, pretty crazy.

I did see that guy do get bucked, was quite a mishap haha. Sled just idled down to the bottom without him, looked fine. Not sure if you saw my spill... But i was the one at far right side climb, was playin around over on that side. Made it up once, second pull i got a bit too close to the tree's and couldnt get it turned around, and piled it up into the tree's about 100 feet later. Busted it up a bit, no structural damage, snout, hood, air box, and the can broke in 2. The clean white cat isnt so purdy anymore lol.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Play safe this weekend kids, CAC special bulletin out for these areas, make sure you come back alive.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Play safe this weekend kids, CAC special bulletin out for these areas, make sure you come back alive.

Read two incident reports from the Notch at Fernie. The trees have been affected by the loading and the weather. The slide from Thurs. the 18th caused some shoulder damage with trauma from trees. This is maybe a heads up; ride safe, use terrain analysis, and as Modman says, "come back alive!"

Top Bottom