kEYSTONE

New_M7_Ryder

Reaction score
Read the post on revys website on keystone and it said we can go up there. Question is has anyone gone in there yet? Can you get in there and park a 4 place trailer or is it only for decks? We have a radio so that should be fine. if anyone knows let me know as we are heading up there in 1 week and we have always had a great time in there.

Thanks

rough-country

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.rough-country.ca
There is active logging on Keystone and its 7 days a week. The contractor told me he will try to keep some pull outs cleared and the end of the road open but that could be hit and miss depending on the snow conditions. If you unload lower down and ride the the road you will be fined as some have already been nailed. There trying to get the logging done as soon as possible and be out of there by the end of December. If your going up make sure you have a radio with the logging channels programed in and call your KM's. Just a reminder,Keystone is always open and the back end (Standard Basin) is closed from Jan 1 to April 15.

BLUE PLATE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
----- Original Message -----From: Ron Laroy
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:41 PM
Subject: logging in Keystone

There is active logging taking place on the Keystone. There is absolutely no room for parking any more than about 5 pick ups at the 11 km, there is no room for trailers of any kind and no turn around beyond the 3 km. Do not unload your sleds and travel up the road, this is not only very dangerous for both yourself and any logging traffic (a loaded logging truck does not stop very fast when coming down an icy road), but is it also illegal and you will be ticketed. Do not block the road to industrial traffic, this has been happening and it makes for a very dangerous situation for loaded logging trucks and any other type of traffic.

There is no logging on weekends but there could still be logging traffic in the form of service vehicles and the moving of heavy duty equipment. This is a radio controlled road, the frequency is 153.515.

Help us keep this area open by playing by the rules, make it safe for both yourself and especially for the logging traffic in the area. If not, the road will be closed until they are finished logging up there.

Cpt.Ron

Reaction score
Logging on Keystone, how interesting???

When one considers that Keystone is such a sensitive area for the Mountain Caribou that large portions of it are closed to Sledders from January 1 through April 15, yet it is open to Logging???

bogey

Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that logging takes the animals food source away as "no trees" "no lichen" I personally have never seen a sledder eating lichen but then I am not a goverment employed biologist either. The whole Caribou thing to me looks like they are losing there food source and has nothing to do with sledding.
Logging on Keystone, how interesting???

When one considers that Keystone is such a sensitive area for the Mountain Caribou that large portions of it are closed to Sledders from January 1 through April 15, yet it is open to Logging???

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the fact that logging takes the animals food source away as "no trees" "no lichen" I personally have never seen a sledder eating lichen but then I am not a goverment employed biologist either. The whole Caribou thing to me looks like they are losing there food source and has nothing to do with sledding.

Money talks...

bogey

Reaction score
In the twenty plus years I have been riding the mountains of BC i have seen Caribou probably 30 times and never once were they disturbed by my presence on a snowmobile but have seen them run from helicopters on a couple of occasions. Do the heli skiers observe the same area closures that sledders do?

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the twenty plus years I have been riding the mountains of BC i have seen Caribou probably 30 times and never once were they disturbed by my presence on a snowmobile but have seen them run from helicopters on a couple of occasions. Do the heli skiers observe the same area closures that sledders do?
NO THEY DO NOT. It is in fact the exact opposite, in almost every caribou closure area you will see an active heli or cat ski operation.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NO THEY DO NOT. It is in fact the exact opposite, in almost every caribou closure area you will see an active heli or cat ski operation.
Lets call it was it really is: its a heli-skiing closure (to sleds)...not a caribou closure. It has been this way since the very first "caribou closure".

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does the caribou riding area follow the same dates. Closed to sleeding from Dec1 to Apr15. Open before and after those dates?

Top Bottom