Keeping your ATV looking "new"?

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One concern I've had with the black plastics on my renegade is that they will quickly scuff and begin to show that "dull" look. Has anyone found a product that can maintain that showroom floor look?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfotunatly black is probably the worst colour for a quad but in my opinion when they are new they look sweet.Was going to buy the new kawasaki brute force in black and red but after talking to a few people with black quads have decided to go with blue.You could try Plexis,it is a spray on wipe off polish that is as good of plastic polish/cleaner as you will find.
Good Luck!
catmando!

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good suggestion, thanks Cat.

One other opinion I've heard from the guys at Riverside is coating the plastics with 3M tape, which adds a layer of protection and maintains a showroom shine. Anyone ever done this?

AC4life

Reaction score
Im having the same problem sweigh...bought an 08 KQ black. Its only got 400km on it and its starting to fade off a bit and show scratches. I guess when it comes down to it tho, it is a quad and nothing stays new forever. Guess a guys just gotta get a new one when it starts to look to bad....haha, if only it was that easy eh.

lucm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Brute Force that is black and it is really dull and scratched up now after 2300kms. I have tried everything to get it shined up again but nothing really works. Someone told me to try get a few layers of clear coat painted on the plastic?? Irregardless my son thinks my quad looks cool with the scratches and "slightly used" look so thats the way mine is going to have to be.

AC4life

Reaction score
Yep, i agree with your son. Its a quad, not a sports car. They are meant to be used and slightly abused...gives it character with a few scratches. I sure do miss the way my bike looked the first day i picked it up tho. Oh well, ill get to feel the same way about another bike in a few years.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Steal the Mop'n Glow from the wife and add some to the wash water. Helps brighten the plastic, but doesn't do much for the deep sctraches. Also helps prevent scuffing.

plumbum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.outlawatvclub.com
here ya go. i have read about guys using it and the liked it but said it is alot of work. makes it look new though. it would be something i would consider when selling the bike or a once a year thing. as well if you arent worried about the scratches but want it shiney, you can use pledge. shines nice, dust repelant and smells nice and lemoney after. lol.

burgewx

Reaction score
Every scratch or dent has a story behind it. I also have tried many different things attempting to keep my machines shiny. Finally i gave up , now they are starting to show some character, and i'm left with lasting memories & stories to tell.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leonard, do you recommend that polish from experience or cause it's listed on that ATV site? many of their products get mixed reviews, so I'm weary of coating my machine in something that will potentially only make things worse.

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here ya go. i have read about guys using it and the liked it but said it is alot of work. makes it look new though. it would be something i would consider when selling the bike or a once a year thing. as well if you arent worried about the scratches but want it shiney, you can use pledge. shines nice, dust repelant and smells nice and lemoney after. lol.

I agree with Plumbum on the Pledge thing.... A dealer recommened it a few years back and I`ve been using it ever since. Doesn`t do anything for the scratches but seems to shine it up nicely without a whole lot of effort. I also find the mud seems to wash off allot easier...

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. I guess I'll start with the pledge and see how it handles things. Since there are a variety of pledge products, does it matter which one I use?

redrum

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys. I guess I'll start with the pledge and see how it handles things. Since there are a variety of pledge products, does it matter which one I use?

I just use the cheap standard lemon flavor......

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello everyone . pull off all your plastics if they are in bad shape, and have them sprayed with LINEX ,it can be top coated any color you choose, and then clear coated,easy to wash and will not scratch. this adds a little extra wieght but who gives a #$%. you don't have to carry it. I did a lite wieght wedge hood , sled fell off the trailer 40 kls, on a wet gravel road in trout lake upside down , never hurt it at all but my stock 8oo rmk took a nasty beating.
IT'S A LONG STORY just my 2 cents thanks . CHRIS

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't be able to see the scratches if it's covered in mud, and gettin it covered in mud is way funner than polishing!!

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well mothers is a very well known and good brand.
I mothers my ATV every time i wash it.. it keeps it looking nice and wet. and it also helps mud run / fall off when im mud bogging it.

Ill try the wax out when i can find some. im also going to try that X-TREAM CLEAN MUD GUARD that everyone raves about. ive seen it in the mud natz videos being used and it looks to be the cats @$$ keeping mud from sticking onto the ATV.. it sheets off in quick order that would a nice change. i might even have to cover myself in the spray next haha.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Use The Spray On Tire Cleaner/shine On My Snowmobile And Keeps It Pretty Shiny Lookin'.... Puts A Nice Protective Coating On It Too, And Helps Repel Snowandmud(pun Intended)....... But It Really Works..... Also Keeps The Snow And Ice From Building Up On The Running Boards.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mothers works really good but after the 10th hole not so good mud starts to stick after it washes off. so anything teflonish that will stay on the plastic will be good as sheding water/mud

Top Bottom