Keeping The 08

mcrc

Reaction score
Hi all, Although the new sleds look pretty good this year I can not justify forking out the cash when my sled works so well.

I got a smoking deal on my sled when I bought it new. It was from the US and the guy said he would meet me in Golden. Little did I know he had no idea about the legalities of bring a sled to Canada to sell. He got to the border had to pay a ton in fines and deliver the sled to my door to get his money back.
Unfortunately little did I know about the problems I would have with a sled with no warranty.

First The Belt Alignment Issue

That was a pretty easy fix. Shimmed the secondary and can now make a 166 last 700 miles.

Fixed the Leaky oil cap with an aluminium insert.

Welded the drive shaft. I still can not get a new one from doo!

Then stabbed a tree and ripped the rear suspension up on the first day of the weekend. All my fault but made worse by the wimpy track.

A late night in the shop and lots of help from friends and I was good to go for the rest of the weekend. Needed to replace the track and went with a 2.5 156 camo extreme. This has been the best upgrade to date!

The bogging in the deep stuff was driving me crazy. That has been fixed with an extreme vent on top of the instrument cluster.

So new for this year Floats all around. I went with nextech rear set up. I ran the float with the factory springs for most of last year but have now pulled out the springs and am just using air.

I am not sure what air pressure to use. The fronts are at 50. The front track shock is at 80 and the rear at 135 is the same as the springs on full firm. I will post my opinion after the first ride weekend. Only two weeks to wait!

Attachments

• damage.jpg
    damage.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 271
  • skid.jpg
    skid.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 271
  • clutch.jpg
    clutch.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 268

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious - why is the adjuster on the secondary so far away from the helix / looks good other wise - might have to play with air pressures to get it to your liking:)

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Although the new sleds look pretty good this year I can not justify forking out the cash when my sled works so well.

I got a smoking deal on my sled when I bought it new. It was from the US and the guy said he would meet me in Golden. Little did I know he had no idea about the legalities of bring a sled to Canada to sell. He got to the border had to pay a ton in fines and deliver the sled to my door to get his money back.
Unfortunately little did I know about the problems I would have with a sled with no warranty.

First The Belt Alignment Issue

That was a pretty easy fix. Shimmed the secondary and can now make a 166 last 700 miles.

Fixed the Leaky oil cap with an aluminium insert.

Welded the drive shaft. I still can not get a new one from doo!

Then stabbed a tree and ripped the rear suspension up on the first day of the weekend. All my fault but made worse by the wimpy track.

A late night in the shop and lots of help from friends and I was good to go for the rest of the weekend. Needed to replace the track and went with a 2.5 156 camo extreme. This has been the best upgrade to date!

The bogging in the deep stuff was driving me crazy. That has been fixed with an extreme vent on top of the instrument cluster.

So new for this year Floats all around. I went with nextech rear set up. I ran the float with the factory springs for most of last year but have now pulled out the springs and am just using air.

I am not sure what air pressure to use. The fronts are at 50. The front track shock is at 80 and the rear at 135 is the same as the springs on full firm. I will post my opinion after the first ride weekend. Only two weeks to wait!

iss your sled in your house??

mcrc

Reaction score
just curious - why is the adjuster on the secondary so far away from the helix / looks good other wise - might have to play with air pressures to get it to your liking:)

The secondary is held open with the tool to put the belt on. You can see the handle in the pic. The stock plastic one fell off and marked up all the clutch surfaces. I just installed the up date. Works very well.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your drive shaft should get changed it don't matter were you got it,ITS A SAFETY RECALL NOT WARRENTY.I changed a bunch out of state drives,your dealer is screwing you, phone the complaint line they want them changed.

mcrc

Reaction score
Your drive shaft should get changed it don't matter were you got it,ITS A SAFETY RECALL NOT WARRENTY.I changed a bunch out of state drives,your dealer is screwing you, phone the complaint line they want them changed.

Well Tukernater, Though about what you said and phoned around and am getting the driveshaft changed. I thought the tech was going to run away screaming when he found out he had another 08 to fix! The hole process has been a PITA because I had custom drivers for the camo extreme. Pressing on and off drivers is a pain. If I never do it again it will be too soon! If you ever have to do it take your time and measure it allot and use a sharpie to mark the alignment as it is easy to have it out by one indent. I have now been at the dealer three times and should be able to pick the sled up Friday.

They found some other stuff wrong which makes me mad because it is going to cost money but if it saves a ruined day due to problems it is money well spent IMO.

AST 1 course on Saturday and first ride with the new suspension next Thursday. I hope we get some more snow! Will post some pictures and impressions of the nextech set up.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
Well Tukernater, Though about what you said and phoned around and am getting the driveshaft changed. I thought the tech was going to run away screaming when he found out he had another 08 to fix! The hole process has been a PITA because I had custom drivers for the camo extreme. Pressing on and off drivers is a pain. If I never do it again it will be too soon! If you ever have to do it take your time and measure it allot and use a sharpie to mark the alignment as it is easy to have it out by one indent. I have now been at the dealer three times and should be able to pick the sled up Friday.

They found some other stuff wrong which makes me mad because it is going to cost money but if it saves a ruined day due to problems it is money well spent IMO.

AST 1 course on Saturday and first ride with the new suspension next Thursday. I hope we get some more snow! Will post some pictures and impressions of the nextech set up.
You should add a clutch kit to the list you will notice a huge gain as you have put more strain on the motor with the traction of the track.
I noticed when i put that track on my 08 that i lost all the adjustment on the clickers and fixed that with a clutch kit.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

YEP no fun i'm glad you got the new shaft,i bought a new shaft and put some 10 tooth 2.52 supreme tools billet drivers there ajustable
the only way to go.:) sorry bad speller

Top Bottom