Keep your guard up, even the small slopes can surprise you

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This video goes to show the importance of understanding the true extent of persistent weak layers. The typical "mount everest" type slopes are not the only ones that can surprise us.
As sledders, the terrain we can cover in a matter of hours demands that we pay attention to, continually test and observe the snow that we are riding on as well as our surroundings.
Thank you very much to the great group of riders that donated the footage. This is something that can really raise awareness within our community.

Ride safe everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhAUcvXa3Q

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dep! Good reminder for everyone about small slopes, terrain traps, and the importance of leaving space between riders and keeping an eye out for your buddies. Glad they were all safe.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that is crazy! Yes thanks for sharing, just goes to show how quick it can happen.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a ton of terrain like that, never seen any slides like that before. Thanks for posting that.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not even time to hit an air bag on something that quick. If he was last guy in the group and no one turned around, things could have perhaps ended differently.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...that's crazy. Could certainly see why a guy would figure that wouldn't pose too much of a threat. Whomever has the helmet cam on great work at getting to the guy super fast. That's definitely the kind of guy I want in my riding group.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Good work on posting that Curtis! It is always wise for the "sweep" to be available at a moments notice and notice that the group seemed to be tight (waiting at the end) but spread out as mentioned above. Lots of help available quickly and that's the way it should be, IMHO.

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Between mcbride and Valemount

Were you not riding "between McBride and Valemount" on January 10th? Like Rotax_Kid I was impressed how the guy filming skirted the toe, watched the slide to see where the victim ended up and spotted the hand and uncovered the head so quickly. Noticed also that it sure looked like Brandons' sled involved in the rescue and you were riding with him that day. Hmmmm

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To bobsledder and moyiesledhead..... This is why u need avy gear, no matter where u are... Even if u are in greystokes.... Not much of a mole hill... But sure let go

Just so we are all clear, at what point in THIS case/video was all the 'avy gear' deployed??

And how could this slope NOT be seen as a potential danger?? Open, relativly steep, huge trap at the bottom??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just so we are all clear, at what point in THIS case/video was all the 'avy gear' deployed??

And how could this slope NOT be seen as a potential danger?? Open, relativly steep, huge trap at the bottom??
I agree 100%

What i was referring to was a thread a bit ago where a guy asked if he needed avy gear to ride greystokes..... Both bobsledder and moyiesledhead said they would ride with out there, there's nothing going to slide there

Well that wasn't much of a hill, has terrain traps hell yes

But where the guys got caught in greystokes last year, in the one cut block, also has a similar terrain trap .... I'm sure there's lots of places anywhere that is similar...

But anything above town, even just a trail ride needs gear just in case

I've seen the Sidehill of the trail into sale slide from the high side bank, go way over the trail and into the trees into the caribou closure.... Would have pushed a guy into the trees and who knows what would have came of it

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%

What i was referring to was a thread a bit ago where a guy asked if he needed avy gear to ride greystokes..... Both bobsledder and moyiesledhead said they would ride with out there, there's nothing going to slide there

Well that wasn't much of a hill, has terrain traps hell yes

But where the guys got caught in greystokes last year, in the one cut block, also has a similar terrain trap .... I'm sure there's lots of places anywhere that is similar...

But anything above town, even just a trail ride needs gear just in case

I've seen the Sidehill of the trail into sale slide from the high side bank, go way over the trail and into the trees into the caribou closure.... Would have pushed a guy into the trees and who knows what would have came of it

So again, in the video we all whatched at the start, which av gear was used??

Top Bottom