Kanedog discovers a Clutching CATastrophy, again. Pics!

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Clemina today. One cat being towed off the hill with a cracked/ failed primary clutch. The guy was lucky though, as it failed close to the main trail by the cabin and not two mountains over. It’s getting deep!

Last edited:

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It shouldn’t cost cat a dime. It’s a team industries issue.

It’s going to be the old blame game...our clutch is fine, it’s your engine causing the failures. It’s not our engine it’s your clutch. Nether one of them is going to want to hold this hot potato. Someone will have to pay at some point

Powpowpow

Reaction score
So does anyone think an aftermarket clutch cover would fix the cracking? Or some people just saying it does

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does anyone think an aftermarket clutch cover would fix the cracking? Or some people just saying it does

The covers have a lot of slop around bolt head and they are to light and get weakened during balancing.
Anything stronger/tighter will be better.
Sorry but no warranty on advice.
Still need to balance clutch or else crank end bearing will take a beating at 8250RPM.

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The covers have a lot of slop around bolt head and they are to light and get weakened during balancing.
Anything stronger/tighter will be better.
Sorry but no warranty on advice.
Still need to balance clutch or else crank end bearing will take a beating at 8250RPM.

So once aftermarket cover goes on the complete clutch needs to be send out for balancing then?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not really clear on the reasoning for having the clutch cover bolt holes to be that much larger than the bolt. Especially on something getting spun at 8200rpm and subjected to that level of heat. Has anyone measured the difference between the bolt diameter and the cover bolt hole size?

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not really clear on the reasoning for having the clutch cover bolt holes to be that much larger than the bolt. Especially on something getting spun at 8200rpm and subjected to that level of heat. Has anyone measured the difference between the bolt diameter and the cover bolt hole size?

The hole size to the bolt dia doesn't matter. The bolts are there for clamping force only. They have no lateral rigidty to help anything else. The step around the cover is suppose to keep the towers from moving outwards at 8200 rpm. IMO the whole clutch is too light in construction and needs a redesign. Cat engine is making good power now and needs a better clutch to go with it. It needs to be more robust and made with better castings.

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hole size to the bolt dia doesn't matter. The bolts are there for clamping force only. They have no lateral rigidty to help anything else. The step around the cover is suppose to keep the towers from moving outwards at 8200 rpm. IMO the whole clutch is too light in construction and needs a redesign. Cat engine is making good power now and needs a better clutch to go with it. It needs to be more robust and made with better castings.

Yup
Both clutches too.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im pretty sure its the exact same clutch on the king cat and there is no issues there. 200+ hp. It has a different part number for the difference crank taper, but the rest is the same.

Wonder why there holding up on the 4 stroke but not on the 2 stroke??

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure its the exact same clutch on the king cat and there is no issues there. 200+ hp. It has a different part number for the difference crank taper, but the rest is the same.

Wonder why there holding up on the 4 stroke but not on the 2 stroke??

Not as many of them around? i hardly see any on the hill.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seen this on facebook. Being that this is on a polaris does this suggest it might be more of a team problem rather than a cat problem??
capture.jpg

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is not the primary on a Polaris an in house item or does Team build it for them.
This looks like a primary taking out a secondary.
Belt looks good!

Looks like lack of maintenance to me . Lol
If not cleaned and maintained chit comes apart .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me tell you a lot of BRP 's clutching problems started in 2007 when Team Industries took over building clutches from Rotax. Not a big fan of that company.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like lack of maintenance to me . Lol
If not cleaned and maintained chit comes apart .

The mechanic at a cat dealer told me to check my primary for cracks before every single ride. I have seen firsthand and heard of lots exploding. I took 2 sleds to the dealer with 1000 miles on them and both primary clutches had a crack. I do not think this is a maintenance issue. Important to note that once you explode the primary clutch your engine will fail 3-4 rides later.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The mechanic at a cat dealer told me to check my primary for cracks before every single ride. I have seen firsthand and heard of lots exploding. I took 2 sleds to the dealer with 1000 miles on them and both primary clutches had a crack. I do not think this is a maintenance issue. Important to note that once you explode the primary clutch your engine will fail 3-4 rides later.

I believe it’s a problem as well and was commenting on the one pic that was posted .
Stand by my comment on that one .

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it’s a problem as well and was commenting on the one pic that was posted .
Stand by my comment on that one .

What do you see in the picture that makes you think that’s why it exploded?

Last edited:
Top Bottom