Kakwa to McBride

himark1

Reaction score
Snochuk Your right about the morkill, I think I know the waterfall your talking about,never been down, but it is possible to go into intersection mtn since I have done it from the morkill.... Not sure on the regs about closure from intersection back towards the lake, it's a long trek... Even to intersection nevermind down the valley then back up. I'm interested... Never rode kakwa from the AB side just from the walker creek. I was born raised in PG.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the PG snowmobile club have some cabins out there,around the halfway mark to Kakwa that you can overnite in if you are a member of their club? Or is that farther north?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do remember seeing people coming into the kakwa cabins from the mcbride side. And I'm pretty sure they stayed at a cabin half way. Not sure where though. I've always thought about that trek.

Luvinit

Reaction score
Talked about ita few years ago, determined that you would need a heli to make a fuel drop, can,t remember where on the route it was.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the PG snowmobile club have some cabins out there,around the halfway mark to Kakwa that you can overnite in if you are a member of their club? Or is that farther north?

Anyone from the PG club on this forum? i will check if they have a website and ask a few questions. Sounding like the Walker crk road may play a big part in this?

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked about ita few years ago, determined that you would need a heli to make a fuel drop, can,t remember where on the route it was.
Well I'm out if that's the case, cool adventure but when we plan if we can't haul enough and require that kinda money I'm unable to spend like that, still worth planning out, spring riding conditions do allow a lot more km too so depending on closures etc you never know, put 220 on my 11 in April with a 5gal Jerry can out in that area last season, I do have a mig in my garage we could make modified skimmers, maybe shore with skis to reduce drag further and enough for 2 5gals each and an overnight bag

Last edited:

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't really checked on how many k's I can get on my XP per tank, but it seems really good. I agree that if we cant carry it with us to make it, then we would need a plan b, most likely change of route. As long as the terrain and snow pack allow us to pull a skimmer, that is the ticket i believe. Maybe a bit crazy but I just put it on the bucket list, so now its personal.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PG club has fuel drops for their members for a spring ride they used to do, have not spoken to members for a few years though. No cabins along Walker that I know of but a skidder can be pulled down walker. When we came in to Kakwa from Tin Town we pulled in three skidders and had the running boards loaded, stayed at Kawa Lake cabin three days without coming out for more fuel.

Fuel for the BC side trek will be your issue and like I said before terrain will not allow a skidder to be towed from Renshaw. I have had 2 doo cans on the tunnel, 4 gallons in saddle bags and a 4 gallon on each running board and duffle bag full of cloths on top. The sleek XP looked like a pack mule! This works on FSRs but you can't go fast or climb chit and take extra rope and straps.
This is enough fuel to get down Walker and back back only, no fuel to play, YOU NEED A SKIDDER. We towed 20 gallons in each skidder for our three day stay. This should never be considered a one day round trip and you need a team effort.
Who ever does this trip better give it a lot of thought! Who is the tool packer man? Who has the first aid kit man? Sled and people recue gear carrier? Who is packing the satallite phone that you better have! Did it once and it was awsome but not your average trip up the hill to the cabin. You will not meet other sledders. You will be on your own......be prepared!

Last edited:

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PG club has fuel drops for their members for a spring ride they used to do, have not spoken to members for a few years though. No cabins along Walker that I know of but a skidder can be pulled down walker. When we came in to Kakwa from Tin Town we pulled in three skidders and had the running boards loaded, stayed at Kawa Lake cabin three days without coming out for more fuel.

Fuel for the BC side trek will be your issue and like I said before terrain will not allow a skidder to be towed from Renshaw. I have had 2 doo cans on the tunnel, 4 gallons in saddle bags and a 4 gallon on each running board and duffle bag full of cloths on top. The sleek XP looked like a pack mule! This works on FSRs but you can't go fast or climb chit and take extra rope and straps.
This is enough fuel to get down Walker and back back only, no fuel to play, YOU NEED A SKIDDER. We towed 20 gallons in each skidder for our three day stay. This should never be considered a one day round trip and you need a team effort.
Who ever does this trip better give it a lot of thought! Who is the tool packer man? Who has the first aid kit man? Sled and people recue gear carrier? Who is packing the satallite phone that you better have! Did it once and it was awsome but not your average trip up the hill to the cabin. You will not meet other sledders. You will be on your own......be prepared!
so anyone wanna sponsor a chopper fuel dump? Lol maybe tie it into some advertising or something? Hahahaha dammit

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have done the Walker Creek (West of Mcbride)route without a skidder for single day trips to Kakwa.Just strapped 5 gal jerry can each to each sled.Towing a skidder in, is easy and recommended this route though.Modern sleds will get better gas mileage on the trail than when we used to go in.Start early and have scratchers!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have done the Walker Creek (West of Mcbride)route without a skidder for single day trips to Kakwa.Just strapped 5 gal jerry can each to each sled.Towing a skidder in, is easy and recommended this route though.Modern sleds will get better gas mileage on the trail than when we used to go in.Start early and have scratchers!

On spring snow that is good milage and you must have come back on fumes, we went in on about 6-8" of fresh snow and no groomer trail with the intention of staying a few days.

himark1

Reaction score
The PG club cabin is just south of the park boundry at buchanan creek area, its an awesome setup, power, tv and kitchen. From there
its a good 15km or so to the lake its been awhile mind you.
The way i would go would be from Intersection mtn which you canride to in the park (I think) its been years,not sure if that area falls into the 6000+ closure deal or not. Then go down onto the morkill FSR roads and work your way down the valley about 10 or 15km then up the next FSR on the left (dont know the name big junction) then head up and stay left at the next valley junction. The goal would be to get up onto Presbyterian Peak or Knox peak maybe. Then your golden!

Top Bottom