Just bought a car on E-bay! Now What??

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger off E-bay and have no Idea what to do next. My passport is expired at the moment so going down to Oregan is not an option. Shipping to the border sounds like my best bet but how do I not get screwed in terms of payment and getting title and stuff??
Any help is appreciated
Rich

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 70 Dodge Dart Swinger off E-bay and have no Idea what to do next. My passport is expired at the moment so going down to Oregan is not an option. Shipping to the border sounds like my best bet but how do I not get screwed in terms of payment and getting title and stuff??
Any help is appreciated
Rich

Someone on here will know for sure. But the question begging to be asked is,maybe you should of thought about that first?????

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone on here will know for sure. But the question begging to be asked is,maybe you should of thought about that first?????

What blows my mind about this site is the people who just have nothing constructive to say...type anyway????

I just figured e-bay has been around for along time and someone would have experience.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even having it shipped to the border you still have to cross. You have to take the paperwork into US customs for a quick check and stamp. Then you can drive it over to the Canada side. When I had the wife's van shipped up the trucker would not go right to the border so I had to go to the first town about five minutes in (if that) to pick it up. Unless you take a buddy with you to do the US side stuff than he bings it over to Canada customs for you.:d

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What blows my mind about this site is the people who just have nothing constructive to say...type anyway????

I just figured e-bay has been around for along time and someone would have experience.

Your welcome

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Really...What did you expect?

Good luck, and yes you will have to go into the US to get it, the trucker or shipper cannot do this, it has to be the owner. I would renew your passport, or like Scotts said, maybe look into this before you buy in the US. Hate to see you get screwed because you cant go a few miles into the US.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of my bought one on ebay out of Maine New York had it truck to the border I will see if he shed some light on this problem.I know he some hassle
due to way it was purchase check on t his thread later

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really...What did you expect?

Good luck, and yes you will have to go into the US to get it, the trucker or shipper cannot do this, it has to be the owner. I would renew your passport, or like Scotts said, maybe look into this before you buy in the US. Hate to see you get screwed because you cant go a few miles into the US.

Not true. You do not have to go to the US. Vehicle can be shipped to your driveway if you want. Any cross border trucking company can do it for you.

xtremegriz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx to those with useful info! After sorting through the mountain of knowledge that scott and longhorn passed on to me I decided to dig a little deeper and found a company that will bring it to my door for $500 more.

All I wanted was maybe some info on paperwork needed or maybe a company used, but instead i got smartass comments.
Lesson learned

ss_badaz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thx to those with useful info! After sorting through the mountain of knowledge that scott and longhorn passed on to me I decided to dig a little deeper and found a company that will bring it to my door for $500 more.

All I wanted was maybe some info on paperwork needed or maybe a company used, but instead i got smartass comments.
Lesson learned

It`s not as bad as you think, I have brought 3 across in the past 4 years 2 muscle cars and a truck, get all the paper work done right make sure there are no extra parts in the car or trunk otherwise you will have to prepare detailed list and costing document it all it’s a pain. Call a customs broker they will help you out, once you get it shipped up then it`s off to the inspection, have fun and enjoy!

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lesson learned

Fax all paperwork to the US side 72 hrs prior to arrival, pay gst on cdn. side and you are done. the shipping company will do this for you if they are the ones crossing with the vehicle. because of the age of the vehicle there is no RIV fee or inspection needed.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Lesson learned

Don't worry - not all of us are smartazzes. Yes, you can get a brokerage company to ship it across the border for you. We do it all time for specialty chemicals at work here. It's no big deal. Some peeps just don't know. $500 ain't a bad deal but I would shop around and see what you can get, late last fall I got $10K worth of chemical shipped from Texas to Calgary for about $200 brokerage fee. I can find the name of the company if you need me to, let me know.

Hope that helps.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated
Rich

Contact Firefly here on the site, he does lots of the cross border stuff and will be able to help you out!

TG

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any help is appreciated
Rich
Rich got to passport ofice*( canada place in edmonton) and* do* a 24hr emergency passport application...it costs* a few bucks* more* but* you'll get it* in* a day or two.....you have* to* pick it* up at canada place the next day too.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Lesson learned

Sorry bud, just tryin to be funny, I guess I was in a way better mood than you were last night...:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sorry bud, just tryin to be funny, I guess I was in a way better mood than you were last night...:beer:

Well..... sure glad I wasn't online to thow in my useless 2 cents.......

On another note I found this really cool trailer just sitting in the ditch east of edmonton this weekend...... SCORE:eek:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Smart a$$ remarks on S&M?????.....no way!!!!!

Take the good with the bad and have a great day......:party2:

PS I like the info on the 24 hour quick renewal for a passport. Didn't realize there was such a thing....the wealth of knowledge one gets from reading is amazzzzzing!

Top Bottom