jobs in N. BC/Alberta

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just listening to the CBC radio and they were saying that over the next 10 years they will require between 30,000 to 100,000 jobs in Northern BC and Northern Alberta. The guy on the radio said though that unfortunately this maybe tough to fulfill as for every 10 jobs hired only 1 turns out to be long term due to many reason including guys quitting because of no cell phone reception in camp.

I guess people are not hungry yet :confused:

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't get a hotel room in Ft St John or Dawson Creek right now.
hope it keeps up, as the rest of the world is not doing to well.

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There'll always be jobs up there. Had a guy put a call in for 12 tradesman, 5 applied and only 2 remembered to study for the Drug and Alcohol test. Hmmmmmmmm. Common scenario now.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There'll always be jobs up there. Had a guy put a call in for 12 tradesman, 5 applied and only 2 remembered to study for the Drug and Alcohol test. Hmmmmmmmm. Common scenario now.

I assume their mortgage or truck payment wasn't due :)

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup and watch them bitch when the foreign workers come in to do the jobs and they end up sitting without a pot to piss in. That's the way this is heading and will be reality within two years.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup and watch them bitch when the foreign workers come in to do the jobs and they end up sitting without a pot to piss in. That's the way this is heading and will be reality within two years.

kind of how it went in western Europe when the local was too good to the job then they brought in eastern Europeans who would work for much less and complain a lot less. Now they are wondering where the jobs are especially in Britain (if you watched the news today huge labour unions starting to speak about the "s" word)

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
maybe i should start applying for one of these union up north gigs......busting my @ss here isn't so bad but i could go for the $ and i'll have nbo problem passing said tests

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe i should start applying for one of these union up north gigs......busting my @ss here isn't so bad but i could go for the $ and i'll have nbo problem passing said tests

just make sure you show up for the test

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other side of the coin, why should I stay in a shitty camp when the other poor starving oil company down the road has a good camp and is paying the same cash?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other side of the coin, why should I stay in a shitty camp when the other poor starving oil company down the road has a good camp and is paying the same cash?

I think the problem was wide spread and not singling out a particular camp or company. Again out of 10 hired only 1 in avg stayed long term.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the problem was wide spread and not singling out a particular camp or company. Again out of 10 hired only 1 in avg stayed long term.

What's your point, you started this thread and have 5 posts out of 10 already..?

I've been in NE BC working in the patch since the 90's, people come and people go. The oil patch is very fickle and always has been. One day your making good money hating life because you don't have one, next day, Calgary has changed the "plan" and you have to find another job with a different company.

Again out of 10 hired only 1 in avg stayed long term.

Most people (90%) ^^ find it difficult to pack up and leave friends and family,(long term) most people are "rooted" into a community and if you think it's easy to live/work 11-12 or more hr's (Armstrong to Horn River is a two day drive) from home, you're sadly mistaken. The way the patch is, you never know how busy it'll be in a day or two so randomly taking days/a week or more to go home can leave your employer short staffed when they need you the most... It's not as simple as you seem to be implying.

If we don't get this gas to an off shore market, NE BC will will be deader than a door nail, it looks good long term, but the only thing certain, is uncertainty.

PS What did you listen to, I maybe able to find it.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's your point, you started this thread and have 5 posts out of 10 already..?

I've been in NE BC working in the patch since the 90's, people come and people go. The oil patch is very fickle and always has been. One day your making good money hating life because you don't have one, next day, Calgary has changed the "plan" and you have to find another job with a different company.

Most people (90%) ^^ find it difficult to pack up and leave friends and family,(long term) most people are "rooted" into a community and if you think it's easy to live/work 11-12 or more hr's (Armstrong to Horn River is a two day drive) from home, you're sadly mistaken. The way the patch is, you never know how busy it'll be in a day or two so randomly taking days/a week or more to go home can leave your employer short staffed when they need you the most... It's not as simple as you seem to be implying.

If we don't get this gas to an off shore market, NE BC will will be deader than a door nail, it looks good long term, but the only thing certain, is uncertainty.

PS What did you listen to, I maybe able to find it.

my point is simple.......a lot of lazy people out there complaining there are no jobs but in fact there are but they lack amenities like cell phone service. I can appreciate the job/quality of life not being the best but if you dont like it change your career choice. Very simple. I had to. :beer:

Sylvanas

Reaction score
i drive an oil feild tanker we are so busy right now we are like 19000g behind on deffrent jobs they say they have never seen it this busy before in all the years they have been working. It is getting so bad drilling companys are trying to get retired workers back with giant sign on bonuses

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i drive an oil feild tanker we are so busy right now we are like 19000g behind on deffrent jobs they say they have never seen it this busy before in all the years they have been working. It is getting so bad drilling companys are trying to get retired workers back with giant sign on bonuses

What's 19000g ...?

I'd like to listen to whatever got you so riled up about cell service :) It's more complicated than cell service. I left an awesome house/lifestyle in Kimberley to move to the patch, it wasn't easy and I understand why people don't do it.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's 19000g ...?

I'd like to listen to whatever got you so riled up about cell service :) It's more complicated than cell service. I left an awesome house/lifestyle in Kimberley to move to the patch, it wasn't easy and I understand why people don't do it.

Me? riled up... not one bit. takes more than that :) The lack of cell phone was simply one example as to why some people did not want to stay at camp. I am sure there are plenty of other examples. I am simply repeating what they said on the CBC radio program. I normally dont listen to CBC but I forgot my sirius satellite so while scrolling thru the radio this program caught my attn. I did not hear the whole program either.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not long ago I was a student/apprentice sorta speak and I couldn't believe the number of other students that were refusing good paying jobs because of the remote location arrangements. They wanted to be able to go to the mall or movies or whatever after work and couldn't comprehend the idea of not being able to while at a camp type job. I watched many of these same students go "unemployed" for the summers or work terms and some even had the courage to spend their time protesting and complaining that there wasn't enough jobs for students!! If you actually try to find a job and can't then fine, but refusing work because you're a princess and then complaining there's no work available.....sorry no sympathy for you! On the other hand, those who have families understandably want to be able to see and spend time with them daily. Being away for weeks or maybe months on end definitely would affect the quality of family life, but you still need to pay the bills somehow. Like previously mentioned one could switch jobs/careers to give them a better work/family balance. This would give the worker a better family life, but still doesn't solve the issue of the companies being able to retain talent long term.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a ton of work even in the city. I work just outside Edmonton making oilfield skids in Nisku. The fab shop I work for just bid on 7 new jobs, and we aren't even close to being done the ones we are still working on. There is probably 8 large ones in the mods outside and 3 large ones we can barely squeeze into the shop. Pipefitters side is chock full too. I work 5 10's a week and saturday and sunday are optional and we are "encouraged" to take them.

Top Bottom