January 2010 Golden Conditions

DIRT LUMP

Reaction score
does any one know what the conditions are like in golden,avy warnings,snow conditions.I was going to come down from rocky this weekend depending on riding conditions.thanks for any info

Last edited by a moderator:

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: golden conditions

nom nom 1330m

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 601

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

^^^ giddy up! silent On Sat!

If ya see this guy say hello!
forsterdaytriplehrs010.jpg
[/IMG]

Darcy

DIRT LUMP

Reaction score

right on you guys thanks for the info.Ill be at the silent parking lot saturday morning for the day maybe 2.thanks again

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Course with Hangfire or Zacs?
heard the Hangfirew course was cancelled!!!:mad:

RN

Zac's isnt listed on their webpage?

If it's Zacs I might head out as well since I need the field portion of my AST-1 course yet. Perfect weekend as I have nothing planned.

Lemme know Gas Can.

(BTW, seen your truck at Tim's last weekend as we rolled through Blairmore. Never rode with you before but I ride with Ian and Jim quite a bit. Also met Summit X earlier in the year)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Looking at Zac's webpage and the e-mail sent out by Zac's, there appears to be some confusion or non-matching dates.

Apparentely they do have field training on a lot more dates then shown on their schedule. Most noteably both Sat and Sun this weekend!

I might just sign up for Sunday if I can make it. Saturady appears mostly full.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

stuff is sliding be careful I rode quartz yesterday,,, stay in the trees and watch out for thoose nice wind loaded good looking puffs they will let loose, pretty much the whole left side of quartz was sliding nothing huge but it was sluff n down and anywhere from 100-300ft across the top....

be safe

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com

Sorry Shibby...didn't see your post until now as I left Friday for Golden and just got back. It was snowing when I got there Friday and there was a foot and a half of fresh to be found at Quartz when we arrived Saturday morning.

Zac's field course was full on Saturday with 26 people. Dug a west facing pit around 10:00 AM just above the trail head and there was 6 feet of snow where we dug to the ground. About a foot from the surface was the first layer of hoar frost from Jan 6th, and another below that around 30+ inches from mid December. It took 5-6 wrist taps to show some settling in the first 6 inches on a shovel test and 5 elbow taps to break off the lower layer of frost on a cut away block.

The snow seems to be a bit more stable than I originally expected where the sun has hit it but the concern I had was that it was the lower layer that broke on our test rather the the stuff above the upper frost line. That lower layer was about 30" or so from the surface and with that much weakness in the lower pack there is concern. Below that lower hoar frost is a lot of faceted snow and that just creates more for it to roll on with a large slide.

Despite the high risk this past weekend, there was a lot of activity with guys tracking up the slopes at higher elevations east of the cabin where it seemed like everyone was all about highmarking even when we all know the snow is very unstable right now. We were kept to the meadows most of the afternoon where beacon skills were practiced with single, double and multi burial finds and recoveries. When we first got up to the meadows with 26 sleds, we tracked the $hit out of it and by days end it was thrashed pretty good.

Be careful out there folks, and do the right things when your highmarking those hills until they let go again. There's bound to be more activity in those lower and upper layers with more loading.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No problem. I tore into my sled to rebuild carbs, clean power valves, and pressure check engine (y-pipe likely to be leaking).

I knew I would be a bit tempted to ride rather then do the course so I stayed home. I think Sunday only had like 3 people listed when I checked. Would be a good one-on-one though type learning.

I'll check into their dates and get out there yet.

Top Bottom