I've got the clutching blues !

Bigbragg

Reaction score
Bought a SLP full kit for my 09 m8 162 at the sled show. (no other mods)
One half of the people i talked to told me i needed a clutch kit for it but could not recomend anything other than the RK torsional.
The other half were not to sure.
Does any one know for sure if i need to do any clutching for the Mcbride and revy areas.

Thanks.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
Yes very likely you are going to find now that you have increased your horsepower that you will be over revving. You can go to a torsional kit for improved backshifting and such but the minimum you will have to do is put some weights to the primary. I also recommend some rock rollers for the secondary and you will probably want to do some modifications to the air box to get more in there for your pipe or you will not be happy with the gains if your machine starves for air. I would contact a guy like Glenengine as he has set up tons of sleds for the Mcbride area. Good luck!

162cat

Reaction score
Call Jerritt at Absolute power and performance St albert
I was in ther this week and he has a number of cats in there with new clutch kits

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes very likely you are going to find now that you have increased your horsepower that you will be over revving. You can go to a torsional kit for improved backshifting and such but the minimum you will have to do is put some weights to the primary. I also recommend some rock rollers for the secondary and you will probably want to do some modifications to the air box to get more in there for your pipe or you will not be happy with the gains if your machine starves for air. I would contact a guy like Glenengine as he has set up tons of sleds for the Mcbride area. Good luck!

Glen knows his stuff. he also rides in Mcbride so you know that he is gonna set it up right

tanner

Reaction score
Slp full kit? Is that the Y pipe, pipe and can? If so the install instructions will tell you what you need. 6 to 8000ft is MTX 71 gram weights with 3g rivet outer hole and 1g inner hole. Helix is 40/36 all stock springs. The only thing is you might need to get your prymary shimed after. I'm gonna try this set up for this winter. They also say that the stock clutching work good to. I ran stock clutching last season with the pipe kit and it work well. Good luck.

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slp full kit? Is that the Y pipe, pipe and can? If so the install instructions will tell you what you need. 6 to 8000ft is MTX 71 gram weights with 3g rivet outer hole and 1g inner hole. Helix is 40/36 all stock springs. The only thing is you might need to get your prymary shimed after. I'm gonna try this set up for this winter. They also say that the stock clutching work good to. I ran stock clutching last season with the pipe kit and it work well. Good luck.

What kind of RPM were you consistently hitting with the stock weights? Did you find it sluggish when backshifting? thanks

tanner

Reaction score
What kind of RPM were you consistently hitting with the stock weights? Did you find it sluggish when backshifting? thanks

The back shift seems good IMO. RPM was 7950 to 8050 nothing lower than 7900. With that kit SLP calls for 8-8100 RPM so it is close.

Bigbragg

Reaction score
I did, the store i bought it from said dont change anything with the clutch, but did not sound to sure why. Then i walked over to the slp rep and he said that i "could" clutch it if i felt it was needed.

wy don't you ask who sold you the kit or conact SLP and ask them what they recomend.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did, the store i bought it from said dont change anything with the clutch, but did not sound to sure why. Then i walked over to the slp rep and he said that i "could" clutch it if i felt it was needed.

He probably meant run it and see what it does, then you know what changes need to be made.

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey BIGBRAGG,

i just emailed SLP last week about the exact same thing...they responded to all my questions and the guy also sent me this link...check out page 6...it has the recomendations for the clutching at the different elevations...basically weights in the primary and for better results they say to change the helix in the secondary

http://www.slp.cc/instsheets/09-872.pdf

also you might want to check out this link...full stage 2 kit...works with the exhaust you bought...and includes the clutching parts you will need...you already have the bulk of the kit

Arctic Cat - Stage 2, M8 / Crossfire 800 - Starting Line Products

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Bigbragg,did you figure out your clutching? I got a 09 M8 153 with the SLPpipe kit and RK Tek head. I just changed my primary spring to orange&blak.works great!

Top Bottom