issues with the trans canada trail

deathtoll

Reaction score
hey guys this summer a buddy and i went dirt bikeing on the trans canada trail to go trail rideing we went to a mountin to scope out some fun hill climbs and jumps ect. the fun things and on our way there we encounterd a gate we went around the gates (there are tiny little paths around the gates)
but my friend was a beginner and was not doing well going around because he almost ran into the wooden fences lol so on the way back we got to the gates and i made the disishon lets go though them so we get though one and 50ft to 20ft away is the second one so we stop to open the 2end gate and my friend points out theres a old guy stareing at us from behind a tree so i look over and this old guy yells out you under citisins aresst then we here from this house below i just phoned the cops now both the people liveing in the house below the rail way grade and the people liveing a little ferther down from where we where (the old guys house) people had told us there wing nuts lol so they phoned the cops on us for going though the gate and the cops sead the gates have to come out this was a couple of mouths ago and no effort has been made to remove them so should i do it my self or should i talk to the cops about it?

thanks guys cheers:beer:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would be finding out first hand what you can and can't do on this trail, as in no hearsay BS. that old guy may not be so happy next time and start to shoot first and question later. no sense in being dead right. all you'll do is piss the old t-rd off and the police can do nothing until he shoots someone, just may be you.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well deathtoll I would say if your in school still you had better pay better attention because your spelling and grammer sucks.......

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kudos to you imdoo'n, for deciphering that crap and responding intelligently.

disgraceful......

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now as a general rule I tend to not open gates when riding anything because someone probably put them there for a reason. If there have been specific issues brought forth as you described but nothing has been done about it yet, the best bet would be to follow-up with the cops because as Imdoo'n said "you don't want to be right, but dead". Besides there are probably alot of other areas you could ride in the meantime. And if a person is 'really' crazy...the last place I'd want to be is in front of them pizzing them off.:hunter2:
I believe that the trans canada trail system has a bunch of separate 'legs' that are managed by the local snowmobiling associations or groups...so it is a lot of volunteer man-hours etc that go into it and that takes time. I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong on this. :cool:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not certiain either, but there may be parts of the trail that are gated off during the summer months for cattle, horses etc. Access to many areas is negotiated with local land owners to do be careful. Get the facts and get the proper support before taking it upon yourself.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would this happen to be between Fife road and Santa-Rosa road? I've heard stories of the farmer(s) that live there. They assumed ownership of the railbed after is was deactivated even though it was (still?) owned by CP.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man, you have to talk to your local bike shop and / or the police about those gates and access issues about the Trans Canada Trail. You have to know your legal rights and take your chances. You do not want to piss off the locals who are bitchin about you riding there or some phuk will put up a wire across the trail where you least expect it (we have seen it before). We are dealing with threats like that around our local riding area (East Kootenays) where we have been riding for over 30 years now.

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
where's this trans canada trail anyway?????

I'm not certiain either, but there may be parts of the trail that are gated off during the summer months for cattle, horses etc. Access to many areas is negotiated with local land owners to do be careful. Get the facts and get the proper support before taking it upon yourself.

I think the TCT is supposed to be a year around thing sled, quads, bikes, hiking ect

link

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the TCT is supposed to be a year around thing sled, quads, bikes, hiking ect

link
a part of the TCT runs just a half mile from my house, and it is open to all recreationalists....motorized and non motorized.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may be thinking of the Iron Horse Trail which has parts of the Trans Can on it or crossing it.

Point is having the person make sure of the area rules and getting support before taking on these nuts.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Point is having the person make sure of the area rules and getting support before taking on these nuts.

Yep, and kjb said, even if you win, be very careful and ride slowly around those places that have known issues in the past, you will not win the fight against a wire strung across the trail or a strategically placed board with spikes in it sticking out of the ground. Knowing the law was on your side won't be of much comfort when you are lying in the hospital or worse (even if they catch the crook).

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would this happen to be between Fife road and Santa-Rosa road? I've heard stories of the farmer(s) that live there. They assumed ownership of the railbed after is was deactivated even though it was (still?) owned by CP.

I know the guy you are speaking about, I think this one sounds farther west towards GFs maybe.

The guy near Fife is a looney-tooney too though!!!

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys this summer a buddy and i went dirt bikeing on the trans canada trail to go trail rideing we went to a mountin to scope out some fun hill climbs and jumps ect. the fun things and on our way there we encounterd a gate we went around the gates (there are tiny little paths around the gates)
but my friend was a beginner and was not doing well going around because he almost ran into the wooden fences lol so on the way back we got to the gates and i made the disishon lets go though them so we get though one and 50ft to 20ft away is the second one so we stop to open the 2end gate and my friend points out theres a old guy stareing at us from behind a tree so i look over and this old guy yells out you under citisins aresst then we here from this house below i just phoned the cops now both the people liveing in the house below the rail way grade and the people liveing a little ferther down from where we where (the old guys house) people had told us there wing nuts lol so they phoned the cops on us for going though the gate and the cops sead the gates have to come out this was a couple of mouths ago and no effort has been made to remove them so should i do it my self or should i talk to the cops about it?

thanks guys cheers:beer:

Quite possibly the longest run-on sentence I have ever read in my life. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

deathtoll

Reaction score

thats the place i think the crazy people that live close to the trail sead whe where drug smugglers i was like :eek: they need to come down because of the crazys that live there

Top Bottom