Island Lake trails?

Coldone

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I was curious if any of you knew where I might be able to find some trails to take my quad into around Island Lake up by Athabasca. I have no real expiration time up there so ANY leads would be amazing!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was up there two years ago and can't quite remember it well enough to give you exact directions. We spent an entire day riding on the west side of hwy 2 and a little bit north. I'm not 100% sure, but I think we had to ride west of hwy 2 on twp 680 for a couple of k's, but I will try to confirm this for you in a few days.

Coldone

Reaction score
Ya, anything around that area would be awesome! I'm currently teaching the daughter to drive here little raptor, but I'm pretty sure I'll be looking to do some real riding at some point!

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a staging area on the road north of Dapp going towards cross lake. It is on the east side of the road about 6-8 kms in. It is the Pembina Drift Busters area. Lots of trails through the area. Have fun!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just past the Island Lake store turn left on the gravel road, head to the end of the road and turn right, then take your next left and follow that road all the way back. Your now in trail country and its only about 5-8 miles from your doorstep.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just past the Island Lake store turn left on the gravel road, head to the end of the road and turn right, then take your next left and follow that road all the way back. Your now in trail country and its only about 5-8 miles from your doorstep.

You're a stalker aren't you Dale.....

My family actually has a lake lot up in that area, I know of lots of trails up there.

rayf01

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is the Long Island Lake area right, north of Westlock? I would like to head up there for the weekend and try get some camping/ATVing in. Is the only place the Long Island Lake Municipal Campground?

Coldone

Reaction score
Nah, this is Island Lake just north west of athabasca.

rayf01

Reaction score
Oh alright, confusion as Kbrunlees was talking about the road just North of Dapp which is the in the area of Long Island LAke.

Coldone

Reaction score
You're a stalker aren't you Dale.....My family actually has a lake lot up in that area, I know of lots of trails up there.
Well.. What are the chances you'd be able to share a couple of them with me??

Coldone

Reaction score
WooHoo!! Awesome bud... I'll be heading out to check that out this weekend ;)

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I read Long in there somewheres whoops that's what happens when you assume! Didn't mean to lead down the wrong trail as it were.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well.. What are the chances you'd be able to share a couple of them with me??

I don't plan to be back up there till September long weekend, but for sure I could hook up with ya then!

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're a stalker aren't you Dale.....

My family actually has a lake lot up in that area, I know of lots of trails up there.

Nah.... My parents had a cottage at Baptist Lake for years and then built the retirement home there so I've been in the area since I was 9, one of my favourite areas is the September Lake trail back into the back country area, actually found a route that crosses over to Fawcett.

Hunted the area lots and got to know the trails all over.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Nah.... My parents had a cottage at Baptist Lake for years and then built the retirement home there so I've been in the area since I was 9, one of my favourite areas is the September Lake trail back into the back country area, actually found a route that crosses over to Fawcett.

Hunted the area lots and got to know the trails all over.

that's awesome..... We're back on "Crooked Lake"

Coldone

Reaction score
I'm up here this weekend and will Be hitting the area a bit tomorrow!! Will letcha know if I find anything ;)

Coldone

Reaction score
Well.. Back from a pretty decent outing! I managed to find a couple trails out there that followed some fence line.. Came across some good mud bogs that the Griz had no problem crawling out of.. I have noticed a TON of No Trespassing signs all over the place.. Which I followed the rules and didn't.. I'd love to find a day trip length of trail system out there but no way I'll hit those up alone.. The search continues!!

iamcanadian

Reaction score
I've hunted up there a few times and there seems to be alot of trails and cutlines to explore. If you head North past the Long Island store for a couple of km and turn off towards the dump, you head up that gravel road and unload there. There are trails that branch off form there and go in quite a ways. There could be some muskeg in there so be careful.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well.. Back from a pretty decent outing! I managed to find a couple trails out there that followed some fence line.. Came across some good mud bogs that the Griz had no problem crawling out of.. I have noticed a TON of No Trespassing signs all over the place.. Which I followed the rules and didn't.. I'd love to find a day trip length of trail system out there but no way I'll hit those up alone.. The search continues!!

Did you follow Dale's directions? If I remember correctly from when I was there, there was a cattle gate that we had to go through to enter the trail system that will take you to at least two trapper's cabins. SweetLittleRide, possibly a couple other friends, and I plan to head out there on Saturday if you care to join in - the more the merrier.

Coldone

Reaction score
Did you follow Dale's directions? If I remember correctly from when I was there, there was a cattle gate that we had to go through to enter the trail system that will take you to at least two trapper's cabins. SweetLittleRide, possibly a couple other friends, and I plan to head out there on Saturday if you care to join in - the more the merrier.
I ended up north of island lake along some fence lines.. I'm going to be up there this weekend as well so if there's a couple of ya out there I'm totally down with hitting the trails! I'm still newish so hope I won't slow ya down to much!! I'll pm you my number...

Top Bottom