Is this the going rate now?

ABDoo800

Reaction score
I took my sled in to a local shop for some work. They put a new nun in, new sliders and some steering parts all of which I would have normally done myself but due to a quadruple bypass the end of June, I did not feel like tackling it this year.

My question is, does $218 in labour to put the sliders on and shop supplies for the total job of $76.30 (10% of the total labour bill) seem about right?

Just curious is all, as like I mentioned, I usually do 99% of my own wrenching.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you paid almost $295 for a shop to put new sliders on? That doesn't include any of the other work?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is really unclear. If its for everything I dont think its too bad. It cant be for just sliders. If so I would not be paying it.

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New nun and steering parts could be labour intensive depending on the sled!

Sent from my iPhone using

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds low for the amount of work your describing, for sliders, nun & steering parts.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Can you not just remove the holding screw,tap the slider back until it starts going out a track hole,put the sled in reverse and peal them off? Holes too small now? Have to remove the skid to change sliders?

ABDoo800

Reaction score
The labor charge to install the sliders was $218, parts were extra. Plus add in an additional $21.80 for shop supplies on the slider install as shop supplies are an automatic 10% of the labor charge.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you paid $716 total labour plus $70 for shop supplies to have the nun,sliders and some steering parts replaced,Id say you got a deal. Sliders and steering parts are quick but the nun is quite labour intensive.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then they must have removed the skid to change the sliders. The only shop supplies they would have used would be some soapy water maybe. What sled and year is your sled? They may have had issues getting the skid bolts out and the job ended up taking 2 hours to do.

Last edited:

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shop supplies is pretty standard to get tacked on at most places these days. Back in my auto days we did a motor swap for a guy, took like 30 hours cause of the car and what had to be done, shop supplies were like $500 and he threw a fit (not surprised he was an employee lol) and the boss wouldn't reverse it even though we maybe just used a little gas for the torches and some penetrating lubricant.

Sent from my iPhone using

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you paid $716 total labour plus $70 for shop supplies to have the nun,sliders and some steering parts replaced,Id say you got a deal. Sliders and steering parts are quick but the nun is quite labour intensive.

Yeah $716 total is probably fair but $218 for sliders is a ripoff.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? Can you not just remove the holding screw,tap the slider back until it starts going out a track hole,put the sled in reverse and peal them off? Holes too small now? Have to remove the skid to change sliders?

on the skidoos its not fun. track windows are extremely small. easiest to remove the skid. which on the skidoos is also a biotch as the axle shafts are floating.

but 2hrs labor is too much. a good mechanic could do it in well under an hour

powerclaw

Reaction score
replacing sliders does not only intail replacing sliders themselves. no one takes into consideration from the time the shop unloads the machine, bring it in the shop, open work order, assign mech.,set up, change sliders, spin track, double check to make sure every thing is ok.,clean up area , finish paper work, make sure customer is happy and reload on truck or trailer. this is all of two hours. for you guys who say you can do this in 20 min. come get a job, i have lots of work for you.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
replacing sliders does not only intail replacing sliders themselves. no one takes into consideration from the time the shop unloads the machine, bring it in the shop, open work order, assign mech.,set up, change sliders, spin track, double check to make sure every thing is ok.,clean up area , finish paper work, make sure customer is happy and reload on truck or trailer. this is all of two hours. for you guys who say you can do this in 20 min. come get a job, i have lots of work for you.
That is called overhead it is built into the rate. Unless you want to bill me 20min everytime I take something to the shop for overhead but only charge me the $15/hr that the teenage mechanic is making. You don't get to have it both ways.

Top Bottom