Is the Canam Renagede a sport quad?

Summit800R

Reaction score
Hadster and I are disagreeing about it and I am wanting some advice about the subject, Please comment.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Based on weight alone, I'd say no, more utility than sport. Though it mainly depends on who is riding it, it's not built to withstand the things a sport quad can do over a long period of time.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of them as a sport quad built on a utility platform. The best of both worlds 4 wheel drive with nice suspension and great power to weight ratio. Sport Quad..

Summit800R

Reaction score
I agree with onlypolaris and partly with hadster because he said it's based on a utility platform. So all in all I win Hadley.

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Utility quads are for just that ,they have racks (real ones that you can carry more than a sandwich) front and rear. Utilities can carry a load on the farm then hit the trails.
The Renagade is great, but with tiny little racks and the fact they are styled in a very sporty fashion and have that feel & power.
The BRP site says "right blend of SPORT performance" & "RACE INSPIRED". Must be a sport quad.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since the Outty and Renny have the same frame and power train....I'd call it a utility quad with no usable utility features. It's 260 lbs heavier than a sport quad....of course having 70+hp of v-twin power makes the sporty feeling come back....but the Outty has that too.

Last edited:

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Since the Outty and Renny have the same frame and power train....I'd call it a utility quad with no usable utility features. It's 260 lbs heavier than a sport quad....of course having 70+hp of v-twin power makes the sporty feeling come back....but the Outty has that too.

Sorry DaveB, frames are different, power train has different clutching components.

Outlander frame part number: 705201561
gear box part number: 420684780 SAME

Renegade frame part number: 705201622
gear box part number: 420684780 SAME

Some different parts are found in the CVT i noticed, alot to list.
I believe it is also the programming is different.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting there's huge differences....or maybe just some minor calibration stuff? (lower suspension, different shock mount location, lighter clutching)....I guess I should have said "essentially the same frame and power train"

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
There are differences with the frames and mounts where the suspension is mounted. Im not positive about what else is different. Im sure if you started looking at the parts info and checked a few things you would find many different items. I was surprised on the gearing myself, I thought this would be different but its not. Just having two machines apart side by side you would see the differences. And if you have the chance to ride both machines the same day you will find alot of differences. Cant just be the differences of some plastic im positive.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ridden both on many occasions. My Outty with clutching has outran two different Rennys from 0 to top speed.....and top speeds are the same (73-75+-), so I'm pretty sure the gearing is no different. Biggest difference I found on the ride is the lower stance and better shocks on the Renny make it handle better...but then mine has aftermarket shocks and had 28" rubber then (now 30's....so handling is not really my primary goal)
I have a buddy with a machine that has Renny frame and rear TTI arms, front Outty suspension and brakes, Outty motor and trans, Renny diffs, and Outty plastic, but no racks....and I've seen it all apart in several stages of construction...so I can say with a pretty good degree of certainty that the Renny and the Outty are ESSENTALLY the same under the plastic.

Hey you can take a GM Z71 2500, remove the box, put sport tires on it and lower it and call it a Sport....but it still isn't a Camaro. Probably would be fun though. LOL.

In any case...the Renny on the CA website is shown at 600+ lbs while the 450 sport quad is at 350 lbs....so on the weight factor alone, I wouldn't consider the Renny a sport quad.

Last edited:

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I sure rode mine like a sport quad. It almost kept up with all the sport quads, but don't jump them too much (they don't like it). What you loose in flickability and air time, you gain in billygoat climbing ability. I've never had so much summer fun as I did on that thing. It was the closest thing to sledding, as I could highmark banks, explore, and rip on it pretty good. It tided me over between seasons well.

I agree that it is it's own class....sport-ute-crossover-billygoat-mudslinger.

Summit800R

Reaction score
I think the renegade is nothing more than a outlander spruced up with some sporty features like new plastic and a new "sporty" frame its the same engine (block, heads, Etc). it does weight less than the outlander (barely) and a cool colour scheme. But thats only my opinion.

Top Bottom