Is modding worth it anymore?

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the sleds that manufacturers are putting out these days, a guy would have had to put 40-50k out to get something even close to it 10-15 years ago. For some reason though there is still this urge to spend ridiculous amounts of money on aftermarket parts to lose a couple lbs or maybe pick up a few hp. Financially, modding is a bad decision. You dont recoup a dime on most of the stuff. If a guy can just ride a stock sled, you can buy a new one every couple years, and it really isnt that expensive. Plus then you always have warranty and the latest technology.

Having said that though, there is just something about buying aftermarket parts that is SO satisfying! Why?

I bought Ferniesnows 17 850 165x3 this summer. Have a GGB can on order. Been debating a lightweight battery and diamond S hood as well. All three would take off well over 30lbs. Then a clutch kit and few other odds and ends. How much weight does it take for a guy to really notice it? Sled all fueled up, covered in snow and ice, and me on it with gear probably weighs 850lbs. Does a guy notice if that is 820?
Your same statement can be made about pick up trucks, 400 hp is not enough? 160 km/hr not fast enough? Crap when I worked at my uncles gas station most hiway tractors had 220 cummins, then the 350 cummins came out what a beast!! So to make a long story short if BRP puts a Pratt and Whitney PT 6 turbine in a sled there will be wrench heads modifing them. I suppose it just the way some of us are wired. It's how we keep evolving, that is unless you receive a Darwin Award on the road to your quest for glory!!...........??? LMAO darwinawards.com

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spending money on highly noticeable mods is a lot easier then staying in shape. It's also far less of a time commitment.

While sitting at the cabin, everyone will notice your sweet shocks, or how you added or deleted your sweet new tmotion, depending on the sled you started with- but noone will notice the time you spent staying in shape, of the donuts you cut back on. To see stuff like that, someone would have to come with.

Sleds are like cars/trucks. The 'shiny' in your face mods aren't so interesting anymore- they are more of a distraction from the areas that are lacking.

That being said, I have a turbo. Nearly the cheapest one on the market. Runs great. Does exactly what it was supposed to- makes all the cool sounds. Does it go anywhere 'amazing'?? Maybe, but so does the clutched axis....

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Today's sleds are pretty awesome but we tend to ride areas that have us punching our on trail a lot so without the main mod of a turbo it would either take multiple days to get in or not at all. If you ride areas with managed terrain(grooming with piles of machines) a stock sled will be plenty.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spending all day trying to punch a trail into an area is probably one of the funnest things you can do on a snowmobile.
We used to drag our 91 phasers from the Boulder cabin up to the alpine in 4' of fresh. Two guys walk up 50',walk back down and pin that phaser for 54'. Good thing the phaser was modded with a pipe and paddles other wise would have only made it 52'. Was fun but sure was happy to see the meadows after that!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to drag our 91 phasers from the Boulder cabin up to the alpine in 4' of fresh. Two guys walk up 50',walk back down and pin that phaser for 54'. Good thing the phaser was modded with a pipe and paddles other wise would have only made it 52'. Was fun but sure was happy to see the meadows after that!

ohh I could remember those days. Parking on hwy 1. Most of the time locals would spend all week breaking the trail to grab the goods on the weekend.

Top Bottom