Is modding worth it anymore?

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always said that riding a stock sled with just a can and some clutching is the way to go. We have 3 stock cats and one with a low boost turbo proclimb that has proven to be just as reliable as the stock sleds. Personally the turbo didnt change where the sled could go but sure makes getting there a lot more fun, because of this i feel like buying a new hold over (new last years sled) and putting on a low boost kit like the (Boondocker sidekick). is money well spent for the riders that just can't leave a sled alone.

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of the biggest mods some people claim is tuning up your suspension but that can be just as a turbo to switch everything out, i havent spent much time looking into playing with suspension but this year ive got scales coming and planning on trying to tune this stock suspension up a bit just to try and see how much you can get out of it. has anyone else tried this and what kind of results have you got? or is it not even worth playing around with stock shocks?

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of the biggest mods some people claim is tuning up your suspension but that can be just as a turbo to switch everything out, i havent spent much time looking into playing with suspension but this year ive got scales coming and planning on trying to tune this stock suspension up a bit just to try and see how much you can get out of it. has anyone else tried this and what kind of results have you got? or is it not even worth playing around with stock shocks?

I did this after watching the skinz videos online. weighed it out even and it made a huge difference. My Cat didn't trench near as bad and it could have been a placebo but it seemed like side hilling was easier didn't want to flip me as bad. all in all the little bit I spent on scales was well worth it. This was all on a 2013 m800 with fox float 2 shocks no re valving, only air pressure and limiter straps.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are gains to be had out of suspension adjustments. But stock stocks with a custom re valve and spring package can work extremely well, assuming you are honest with your riding ability and have a good shock tuner. Buying an over the counter shock that your local dealer has on the shelf will have a generic calibration, usually for a 175 lb rider with a skill level somewhere between a novice and intermediate. So a custom valving is your best bet, regardless of the shock package. It's also important to realize that a novice level rider will usually hate a pro level rider setup, so be honest with yourself.

maxbed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ordered 4 heavy duty postal service scales up to 440 pounds each and theyre about $32.00 bucks each. got them off amazon. when guys are weighing themselves are you putting on alll your gear and supplies on your sled aswell for more accurate weight? and what about when the machine gets loaded up with snow and ice?

Last edited:

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ordered 4 heavy duty postal service scales up to 440 pounds each and theyre about $32.00 bucks each. got them off amazon. when guys are weighing themselves are you putting on alll your gear and supplies on your sled aswell for more accurate weight? and what about when the machine gets loaded up with snow and ice?

I put all my bags and a full jerry can on the back as well had about a half tank of fuel to simulate where i would be most of the day. as for ice and snow build up it affects it but being completely off to begin with then being further off with snow IMO is worse.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a chain hoist in my garage with scale on it works great just not portable, no more mods for me, a can and ride it !

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo the suspension is the best thing for a rider to set up for there riding style and weight,snow etc.for engine i think they are built that nothing needs to be done for most sleds can perform more than what most riders are able to do.a good majority of riders cannot make the sled perform to its true potential. for exhaust i"m not sure if needed for sled balance can be changed when going to a can,also in are group of riders when we were riding xp sleds we had 4 sleds and 3 had cans[all different] and 1 stock. did the cans out perform the stock,no,was it rider? my last 3 sleds were stock exhaust,no issues and yes they all had muff pots that heated and cooked food,even the gen4. the way sleds are built i feel stock works great,maybe suspension set up only.modding for only the extreme . i also like riding with a group who leave it stock so a comparising between sleds is more real and not because of mods,to me mods is getting to be less than it was in the mid 80's to now for back then alot of mods could be done to make a sled perform better but now they perform pretty good the way they are. if taking a new sled and doing mods is it worth the warranty issue you may have?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can say that the speedwerx stage 2 that was on my 14 hcr is money well spent, night and day vs a stock one, some of it was also the 3" challenger xtreme which weve been calling a poor mans turbo lol. But the power gain with the exhaust and proper fueling and clutching made the sled way more fun in all aspects, no bog, no loss of rpm on long tree lines, way better downhill clutch performance, and a nicer sound, plus about 20lbs lighter, win win in my books. Having your suspension set up is also a great start to getting the sled to behave lol

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a new machine with warranty, put on some extra storage and a can and ride your azz off!! Oh and anyone that says they put on a can to save a few pounds and gain a couple HP is full of crap...we all do it just cuz it makes a sled sound really freakin' sweet!!
Oh no! It is all about the weight and that the cookers mount easier on a can :) since I bought a Snobunje getting stuck is far less of an issue than It once was

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat 1100 Turbo

$285 to go from 177 to 230 HP.
$70 to upgrade from 230 to 260 HP
$200 for clutching

Yeah, it was worth it!!

Of course I can't leave well enough alone...upgraded skis, shocks, muffler and little things here and there over the years. Love riding this sled. Fun factor per dollar is waaaay less than the two strokes I have owned, and I loved those sleds too.

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat 1100 Turbo

$285 to go from 177 to 230 HP.
$70 to upgrade from 230 to 260 HP
$200 for clutching

Yeah, it was worth it!!

Of course I can't leave well enough alone...upgraded skis, shocks, muffler and little things here and there over the years. Love riding this sled. Fun factor per dollar is waaaay less than the two strokes I have owned, and I loved those sleds too.

It blows me away how little it takes to get so much more out of the 4 strokes. to gain 100 hp in a 2 stroke would be impossible yet it is an exhaust and a retune on a 4 stroke.

Top Bottom