Is man made climate change real?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know in green houses they supplement the air with co2 because plants grow faster than with what is available in the atmosphere. ( 350ppm around here )

00-07712.jpg

seminar-on-greenhouse-vegetable-production-in-ontario-36-728.jpg

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and why would co2 trap heat? it's a colorless gas with a low specific heat capacity.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and why would co2 trap heat? it's a colorless gas with a low specific heat capacity.

that is why air temperature can go from 5c to -30c in a day. but for water it takes a month to thaw the ice on sylvan, because water has a hi specific heat capacity. water regulates the temperature on the planet.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know you are asking Cdnfireman but from what I understand is that the answer should be "yes" but the reason scientists and government have adopted "Climate Change" over the former "Global Warming" is that the actual measurement they have been taking has shown a cooling of the Earth when they expected to find it warming.

Hmmm. So the average temperature on the planet is decreasing?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

"This ability to absorb and re-emit infrared energy is what makes CO[SUB]2[/SUB] an effective heat-trapping greenhouse gas. Not all gas molecules are able to absorb IR radiation. For example, nitrogen (N[SUB]2[/SUB]) and oxygen (O[SUB]2[/SUB]), which make up more than 90% of Earth's atmosphere, do not absorb infrared photons."

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. So the average temperature on the planet is decreasing?

That is what has been said in the media on several occasions. They said the ozone levels above the Arctic have recovered and the last couple winters the ice thickness was above what was anticipated. That is why they have had back-peddle from the label "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". I am sure you can find scientific evidence to support the planet getting hotter or cooler, if you try hard enough, but it seems to me someone had to eat some crow.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is what has been said in the media on several occasions. They said the ozone levels above the Arctic have recovered and the last couple winters the ice thickness was above what was anticipated. That is why they have had back-peddle from the label "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". I am sure you can find scientific evidence to support the planet getting hotter or cooler, if you try hard enough, but it seems to me someone had to eat some crow.

longterm.png

ice.png

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"This ability to absorb and re-emit infrared energy is what makes CO[SUB]2[/SUB] an effective heat-trapping greenhouse gas. Not all gas molecules are able to absorb IR radiation. For example, nitrogen (N[SUB]2[/SUB]) and oxygen (O[SUB]2[/SUB]), which make up more than 90% of Earth's atmosphere, do not absorb infrared photons."

do you know how they proved that? do you know of any research I could look at?

thanks

win

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is a gas that fills our atmosphere, and it’s essential for plants to complete the process of photosynthesis wherein plants convert CO2 into energy. High levels of CO2 in a cannabis garden can result in stronger plants with increased yields – if introduced correctly.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you know how they proved that? do you know of any research I could look at?

thanks

specific heat capacity is something that is easily provable.
co2 absorbing photons isn't. no one has ever seen a co2 molecule, no one has seen a photon. they exsist in the realm of theory.

(to be clear I'm not saying co2 doesn't absorb ir radation)

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol, maybe there should be monitors installed on trees, to measure the effectiveness of photosynthesis, so I can get a carbon credit for the trees that are on my property, seems fair to me?!?

Even if a person drives a EV, has solar on their roof, and a windmill in there backyard. That individual should thank the oil, gas and coal industry, for supply the material, and the energy to make that happen.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is a non-sensical statement. How does CO2 absorb infrared energy then “re-emit” it? If it absorbs it, then it would get hotter from the input of energy, but would not be able to “re-emit “ it in the infrared spectrum. It might be able to reflect or be transparent to the IR energy but then it wouldn’t be absorbing it. Basic chemistry.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a non-sensical statement. How does CO2 absorb infrared energy then “re-emit” it? If it absorbs it, then it would get hotter from the input of energy, but would not be able to “re-emit “ it in the infrared spectrum. It might be able to reflect or be transparent to the IR energy but then it wouldn’t be absorbing it. Basic chemistry.

from my limited research on the subject, sounds like that Is just a fancy way of saying the ir radation heats up the co2 and the co2 transfers that heat energy to neighboring molecules.

but it will only absorb the ir radation at -80c and co2 doesn't store a lot of heat energy like water and considering it only makes up 0.04 percent of the atmosphere I don't think it's a large contributing factor to the temperature of the planet.

I'm not a scientist by trade though.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Please have a look at the below link.

https://scied.ucar.edu/carbon-dioxide-absorbs-and-re-emits-infrared-radiation

In the more-complex, real-world process, a CO2 molecule would most likely bump into several other gas molecules before re-emitting the infrared photon. The CO2 molecule might transfer the energy it gained from the absorbed photon to another molecule, adding speed to that molecule's motion. Since the temperature of a gas is a measure of the speed of the molecules in the gas, the faster motion of a molecule that eventually results from the IR photon that was absorbed by a CO2 molecule raises the temperature of the gases in the atmosphere.

This ability to absorb and re-emit infrared energy is what makes CO2 an effective heat-trapping greenhouse gas. Not all gas molecules are able to absorb IR radiation. For example, nitrogen (N2) and oxygen (O2), which , do not absorb infrared photons. CO2 molecules can vibrate in ways that simpler nitrogen and oxygen molecules cannot, which allows CO2 molecules to capture the IR photons.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that link is a joke. water (liquid,frozen or gas) absorbs heat from the sun, that is why earth isn't a giant ice ball. not because of co2

Top Bottom