Is Katie's sled fixable

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The steering is binding as the anodized piece is turned left full lock. I tried to pry the aluminum down but it just springs back. That bottom of the anodized piece has to be pulled forward to straighten it up so it's not in there crooked.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which piece is binding? I can't tell what anodized piece you are talking about from the pics, but overall it doesn't look bad, its not written off and its only a minor repair really, the labour is all in the removal and replacement of parts, but no significant cost IMO. Honestly for the cost of a few rivets, I would peel the plastics off and look at all the substructure, make sure nothing else in the bulkhead is tweaked before you get too worried. Even if you replace the entire bulkhead and skid, they can be picked up cheap.

You're likely going to have to pull the plastics anyway. Its amazing how loose rivets will get or how much something can move when you knock something, even at slow speeds. I have a buddy in Airdrie who is a welder by trade, if you got it stripped down, I'm sure he could TIG that if you want to repair it. The sled is not written off and if you and Katie tackle it hard, probably have it done in a weekend. Go buy a couple 3/16" HSS bits for drilling out the rivets, nothing sucks worse than a dull bit, the rivets will just spin.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the goldish color piece you see in the hole. It has an arm that you cant see in the picture (It's equivalent to a pitman arm in a car)both tie rods connect to it.
I do see the plasticc is pulled away from the bulkhead on one side. I'm not sure if the plastic is tweaked or the bulkhead is.
I found out that he went in under power. Katie said he told her he hit a bump, the sled darted and his hand slipped off. When he grabbed for the handle bar he grabbed the gas. It took a pretty hard hit.

I found a 2004 155 bulkhead and tunnel for $400.00. im also talking with Snowhunter for a more complete chassis.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you need something welded let me know, I am reasonably adept, and have a tig.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I repair a lot worst bang up just time and patience nice having the proper tools and gauges usually have pull it totally apart to check for further damage and ease in repairing

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I repair a lot worst bang up just time and patience nice having the proper tools and gauges usually have pull it totally apart to check for further damage and ease in repairing

I'm going to go to Princess auto and see if they have any lifts on sale. I need to get a small mirror inside to see if it is cracked around the steering shaft. If it is I wont risk it, the bulkhead is done.

Ahh I see we have another nutsack that assumes all welders are idiots.

They are both from Airdrie, just ribbing each other....

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a easy fix, that cast aluminum piece on the front bulkhead is a separate part #, i sold one a couple weeks ago for $70, half of retail about 12 rivets to drill out, and 4 bolts for the shock mount bracket. I'd fix it.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know whee I can find an exploded view of the parts in question? Like a Haynes manual for sleds?
Thx for the info Threadkiller. So is this piece just a rivet on piece that is attached on the front of the bulkhead?

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a easy fix, that cast aluminum piece on the front bulkhead is a separate part #, i sold one a couple weeks ago for $70, half of retail about 12 rivets to drill out, and 4 bolts for the shock mount bracket. I'd fix it.
Was it a 2004??? I found this on line. It doesn't show it comes apart anywhere. I see a lot of welds in the area on mine.

chassis_zpsab6ecc20.jpg

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
part number for the cast piece is 5132292. have fun, it's a evening job or 2 evenings with beer.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the same Boy I met with Katie in October? She is such a good girl. It's nice that she's helping fix it. She is one tough little cookie for sure!

Big Hugs Katie!

And Brent too! :)

Trish

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
part number for the cast piece is 5132292. have fun, it's a evening job or 2 evenings with beer.

I just put two and two together :)

Thx for the emails. I'll see if I can find one on line somewhere. I just have to make sure that damage was isolated to this piece...

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep same one.

Big hugs right back at ya!

Good for him to be afraid of you lol.
A funny story.. Brookie had this new boyfriend, who is a good boy, super respectful, same morals as her.. One night I found the kids in the corner laughing so hard they were crying. They said.. mom Read this.. then handed me Brookie's phone. Hendrick, sent a text to Boo, wanting to say.. "I can't wait to hang tomorrow" Instead it read.. "I can't wait to Bang tomorrow".
I texted the following:
Hendrick.. this is Brook's mom.. I'm going to Kill you... Send

Hendrick.. I'm not going to kill you.. I'm going to torture you then kill you: Send

See you at school Tomorrow: Send

The poor guy to this day is terrified of me.. I showed up at school and messed with him a bit.. but if Katie's dude is a little scared.. Woo hooo for you!! I think it would be good for him to fix it though. You break it you fix it...No if and's or buts about it. He seemed like a good boy.

Trish

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good for him to be afraid of you lol.
A funny story.. Brookie had this new boyfriend, who is a good boy, super respectful, same morals as her.. One night I found the kids in the corner laughing so hard they were crying. They said.. mom Read this.. then handed me Brookie's phone. Hendrick, sent a text to Boo, wanting to say.. "I can't wait to hang tomorrow" Instead it read.. "I can't wait to Bang tomorrow".
I texted the following:
Hendrick.. this is Brook's mom.. I'm going to Kill you... Send

Hendrick.. I'm not going to kill you.. I'm going to torture you then kill you: Send

See you at school Tomorrow: Send

The poor guy to this day is terrified of me.. I showed up at school and messed with him a bit.. but if Katie's dude is a little scared.. Woo hooo for you!! I think it would be good for him to fix it though. You break it you fix it...No if and's or buts about it. He seemed like a good boy.

Trish

HA!! Thats hilarious!

Top Bottom