Is Katie's sled fixable

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We took Katie's boy friend out sledding today. First time ever on a sled. He was being super cautious and we were having a great day until he had an indecent. He went off the trail and smoked a rock. He hurt his hand and couldn't ride out so I towed Katie's sled and Katie double him back to the truck. He seems to be OK now but tweaked it pretty good.

So my question is can Katie's sled be fixed?? Are the sleds aluminum? Or are they Magnesium? (can it be welded). The anodized piece you see is the swivel for the pitman arm. It is not in its proper location. The bottom is bent back a bit. Steering seems OK.
What am I up against here?? Does the front end of the sled unbolt some where? Or is this all part of the chassis?
This is NOT GOOD :(

The sled is a 2004 RMK Vertical Edge 144" 600. 1500 miles. Lots of life left in it.

IMG_00000038_zpse8c3b1d2.jpg

IMG_00000036_zpsf68ce012.jpg

IMG_00000030_zps5f65da8c.jpg

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum and they can be repaired I busted them on one if our old sleds straitened welded and then sleeved them with a heavier piece if aluminium pipe them welded that on way stronger after that never bent them again

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The control arm I'm not too worried about. I'll find one or make one.
My main concern is the gaping hole in the chassis and the steering component that is tweaked, and I'm worried about the strength of the material around it that supports it.

snowhunter

Reaction score
It's prolly fixable but if worse came to worse I have an 04 chassis in my shop right now vertical escape bulkhead is perfect got gutted for the motor and wiring harness for a project I'm building for a customer pm me if u need any parts there all there

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM sent....

Last edited:

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's cast aluminum, and CAN be repaired. However, I'd be leary of the strength for future incidents, and the cost of repair may be more then just replacing the bulkhead and anything else you might encounter.

Or, find an edge chassis with a blowin motor, and swap some parts. From past experience, that might be the easier route.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Question. If I get a donor sled and use the bulk head and tunnel will I need the registration papers with it.

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a bill of sale. Get the VIN checked because if there is an issue with the VIN and you switch everything over, your sled assumes the issue, no matter what.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO.if you want it fixed 100% then buy a donor bulk head.Your lookin at a fair bit of work but its not
too major if you have a shop and some tools.

Best thing for Katie is to find a guy that is a little experienced on a sled.Is she going to give him some
time for his hand to heal before she breaks up with him?What approx time line would be appropriate before
she will be ready to date again?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did katie take all this ???

he banged up her sled ...
does she just expect dad to "fix it"
as no doubt you have done many times before ...

on a scale of 1 - 10 how do you rate this guy ???

coz I'm thinking your in for a few hours and a few $$$ to get her to say "thankz dad!" at best ...

I prefer dogz personally ...

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a garage and all necessary tools so this will not be an issue.
I don't think he will come out again. After he hurt his hand Katie doubled him back and gave him a ride he wont soon forget, that's my girl! She had him sitting in front of her (riding bitch I believe is the term) and said the sled handled awesome so she showed him who the boss was. LOL.

I can't fault him. He was being very careful. He might have gotten over 30MPH a couple times. When the sled darted from the looks of the track marks he may have grabbed the gas and throttle. No skid mark, just drove it in.
I tried to do everything right here. Not take him to an aggressive area. Maybe a lake would have been a better choice. I guess these things happen. His parents offered to pay half. I declined, If he was being all crazy and I warned him and he didn't listed that would be a different story but this was not the case.

I have no collision insurance so unless it ignites or drives away on me no insurance is possible.

This will be the first time I have had to do any repairs on Katie's sled. I told her last night after I got the broken bar off and had a good look at it that the damage is bad. I could see she was upset. Her first question was can it be fixed and I told her what I thought we were going to have to do. Notice I said "we" as I know she will be right in there helping me. She asked if it will be the same once it is fixed. I assured her it will.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sh!t happens, at least he didn't go off saying "it wasn't me". Metal can be repaired or replaced. Despite all that it is such a nice looking sled.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say I was a little disappointed with him. I did not get a "I'm sorry". I know now he is. He will talk to Katie but not to me. I guess showing him my gun collection when we first met is still having an affect on him.:drum:

I probably wont ask for his help (it wasn't offered) but will make sure Katie lets him know why she can't see him (because she is busy fixing her sled.)

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by looking at the pics the broken control arm slammed back into the bulk head and tore that hole. Really think you could just buy a new control arm, hammer some of that material flat and either weld a piece in there to keep the snow out or pop rivet some thin aluminum over it instead of the welding. Just keep your eye on it, cant see that being a high stress area, the control arms and shock tower are far from that area. Worst case it starts cracking more and more then replace the bulk head later. I would sort out the steering, like are both skis parallel? Did that aluminum arm strip the spindle? Something moved to have that arm turned like that.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sh!t happens, at least he didn't go off saying "it wasn't me". Metal can be repaired or replaced. Despite all that it is such a nice looking sled.

Exactly... Katie's boyfriend was not seriously hurt and the sled can be repaired!!!

how did katie take all this ???

he banged up her sled ...
does she just expect dad to "fix it"

Sounds like he is just a young fella/boyfriend... hopefully he offers to help but in the mean time Katie's sled needs fixed and thats what dads do for there daughters!!!!

as no doubt you have done many times before ...

on a scale of 1 - 10 how do you rate this guy ???

Why? do you run a dating service?? or did this thread just turn into a survey!!! The man just wants opinions as to whether the fricken sled can be repaired!!!

coz I'm thinking your in for a few hours and a few $$$ to get her to say "thankz dad!" at best ...

I prefer dogz personally ...

A little more info than we really need!!! Kinda brings the old statement of "dog is mans best friend" to a whole new level don't ya think!!

by looking at the pics the broken control arm slammed back into the bulk head and tore that hole. Really think you could just buy a new control arm, hammer some of that material flat and either weld a piece in there to keep the snow out or pop rivet some thin aluminum over it instead of the welding. Just keep your eye on it, cant see that being a high stress area, the control arms and shock tower are far from that area. Worst case it starts cracking more and more then replace the bulk head later. I would sort out the steering, like are both skis parallel? Did that aluminum arm strip the spindle? Something moved to have that arm turned like that.

I agree... I would cut/bend a piece to cover the hole/reenforce it and rivet it in....

Top Bottom