Is it worth it

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i was just woundering is it worth it for me to get rid of my 07 Power Wagon with 49000k and get into an 07 or newer Dodge Diesel with about 60-70k? Just looking for some input and advice, seein how ive never owned a diesel truck before

Big kid 33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it is not dying i would wait for the new ram
mine has 200k on it and i am wait hoping they fixed the front ends

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i was just woundering is it worth it for me to get rid of my 07 Power Wagon with 49000k and get into an 07 or newer Dodge Diesel with about 60-70k? Just looking for some input and advice, seein how ive never owned a diesel truck before

Do you tow a lot? It's fun to drive the diesel but if you're looking to save money on fuel you won't see too much diff unless you're pulling.

Don't get me wrong, I have a diesel because I like it, not for necessity. Just asking why you want it.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you tow a lot? It's fun to drive the diesel but if you're looking to save money on fuel you won't see too much diff unless you're pulling.

Don't get me wrong, I have a diesel because I like it, not for necessity. Just asking why you want it.

I'd go for it.. the new 6.7 seems to work good and their transmission's (68re's) seem to handling the low end grunt better than the 5.9s ( 48re) the only thing is you probably wont get the same mileage out of a 6.7 versus a 5.9 cummins. but most likely both are better than your 5.7 hemi haha.. handling will be a Lil rougher obviously. but if your towing sleds and like the lower cost per fill up then id go for a diesel.

I went from a 04 hemi to a 06 diesel and i was very skeptical at first but i finally took the plunge and haven't looked back. love the truck. i have to agree with the front end issues (i got 140k out of mine tho)

As for waiting till the new models come out i would wait a couple of years to work the bugs out that is unless they don't change anything internal (just body work) only downfall is the dpf filters that the 6.7's are equipped with but if you don't care about warranty (or if you put it back every time you get a service) then just install a delete kit. Mpg's should go up along with power with that mod!.

I personally love the 5.9's and wouldn't have it any other way.. but that just my 2 cents.

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if it is not dying i would wait for the new ram
mine has 200k on it and i am wait hoping they fixed the front ends
I've got 180,000km's on mine and only changed 1 wheel bearing and both axle u-joints I don't think that is bad but mine is mostly highway but with a 4" lift.

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ram. Yeah my truck will mainly be used on the highway for work, and will be towing sleds seein how i have a 7ft marathon to put into her. So i will always have something on the truck anyway. Also looking towards the future when i go out and buy a trailer, at least i will already have the power right? Yeah right now i dont think anything can be as bad as my truck is right now, it just sucks down the fuel when i only have one sled on the back, cant imagine if i was to put two on..lol.. The diesel im hopeing should last longer than my gas one as well, and with 71k its only just getting broken in. I have to ask tho whats the delete kit?

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've made up your mind. Good choice. The delete kit is to get rid of the particulate filter in the exhaust, the engine has to run really rich to heat up and burn out ( clean ) the filter every 1000k or so, takes about 15 min and really sucks down the fuel. Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is also very restrictive and makes your engine run hotter.

I believe there's a good deal on from SP1 if you look back a page or two in the this section of the forum.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want a 6.7, be prepared to have emissions related issues, or tear it all off and deal with no warranty. There is no inbetween, dealers will look for the stuff if it's been removed to void warranty. They are some trucks problem free, but MOST of them are not. I have a 04.5 5.9 cummins, and my dad has a 07.5 6.7 cummins i've driven both a lot. The new auto is better, but still is a pain for towing and not holding up if you add power, however the G56 isn't nearly as stout as past standards either. As far as the power goes it has a bit more power but it costs at a huge cost of mileage and headaches. I would seriously consider a pre 07.5 so it has the 5.9 since your buying used anyway. Especially if mileage is a concern, a minor power mod to a 5.9 and it has the same power. But yes, a cummins is a HUGE increase over any gasser. You'll never want to go back.

My truck is at 131,000km only things i've done drivetrain related is 2 axle shaft u-joints and 1 rear driveshaft u-joint, both within the last 5,000km. Everything else is still tight, and i'm running 6" lift and 37" tires, truck hasen't had stock suspension or tires for the last 25,000km or so.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ram. Yeah my truck will mainly be used on the highway for work, and will be towing sleds seein how i have a 7ft marathon to put into her. So i will always have something on the truck anyway. Also looking towards the future when i go out and buy a trailer, at least i will already have the power right? Yeah right now i dont think anything can be as bad as my truck is right now, it just sucks down the fuel when i only have one sled on the back, cant imagine if i was to put two on..lol.. The diesel im hopeing should last longer than my gas one as well, and with 71k its only just getting broken in. I have to ask tho whats the delete kit?

delete kit removes the filter in exhaust Cyle is right there is No warranty at dealers but not many reasons to go to dealer with it removed i install them at my shop in GP now the new trucks are going away from it to urea injection and do not need particulate filters very well tested system from mercedes and it works not like these particulate filters . I am waiting to buy my new diesel using urea injection is a huge increase in fuel economy as well

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
delete kit removes the filter in exhaust Cyle is right there is No warranty at dealers but not many reasons to go to dealer with it removed i install them at my shop in GP now the new trucks are going away from it to urea injection and do not need particulate filters very well tested system from mercedes and it works not like these particulate filters . I am waiting to buy my new diesel using urea injection is a huge increase in fuel economy as well

Good luck with the urea, I wouldn't go close to a truck with one. Have you looked into the properties of urea? Unless it is being treated with something, it is not suitable to be used in the extreme temperatures we see, even -30C to +30C it will have big problems. I haven't looked into it much, but i'm not a fan, and how many places are going to have urea in the first few years? Not to mention it has to be worth something to haul and sell it, so another expense. And what if your out in the middle of nowhere and run out of it? I personally wouldn't touch a truck with a DPF or urea on it, the good diesels are long gone.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would buy what you can afford be it new or used. As far as all the issues with the new 6.7 most of the issues I hear about is on a buddies or a cousins or whatever...I buy new every 2 yrs and had my share of 5.9's and never had any issues with them but that being said I have an 08 with the 6.7 and that has been problem free also. It has 60,000km and nothing so far...I am @ work right now with 4 more 6.7's on location and all have over 80,000km and not one of those have had an issue either. Most people that tell you blah blah blah about not trading there 5.9's for a 6.7 just simply can't afford it...I don't know many people today that like to drive an older truck if they can move up to a new one...maybe they are the same people that don't like enclosed trailers with heat and cabinets to store all there gear...Anyway thats about all for my rant Already lookin forward to my 2010 diesel Ram...Which I'm sure all the know it alls can already tell you what the downfalls of owning that one will be...lol.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 power wagon as well.
Tows the toyhauler no problem summer,open trailer with quads all winter.
Fuel mileage is not that bad towing.
If you use the winch and locking diffs it is worth it.

In 2011 I will get a new truck.
I park in the garage and not sure if I want the diesel smell.
I used to work as a mechanic at a dealership got tired of the smell.

Anyone park there diesel inside.
attached or dettached garage?
Are the new ones better for the smell? 07 or newer

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 power wagon as well.
Tows the toyhauler no problem summer,open trailer with quads all winter.
Fuel mileage is not that bad towing.
If you use the winch and locking diffs it is worth it.

In 2011 I will get a new truck.
I park in the garage and not sure if I want the diesel smell.
I used to work as a mechanic at a dealership got tired of the smell.

Anyone park there diesel inside.
attached or dettached garage?
Are the new ones better for the smell? 07 or newer

Oh dont get me wrong i love my power wagon, best vehicle i have ever owned, and i was the first guy in my town to have one. I wish my fuel mileage wasnt so bad tho, just with my deck and one sled i average about 23L per 100k which i dont think is that good.

But now im starting to have second thoughts about getting a diesel, wondering if i should wait a couple more years, before i make the jump. What to do now? lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess my mileage is the same.
But when we sunk the truck and toyhauler this summer quad riding it was nice to get out on your own.

I have 55 k on mine with no problems.
I am unsure of diesel as well.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The smell is moreso a function of diesel fuel has a max of 15 ppm sulfur in it for the last few years. Ten years ago I think it was like 600.

Assuming you're sticking with the Dodge, if I were shopping for one I'd get a 5.9 with all the options you want and keep it as long as possible. JMO.

In response to the guy who said that whoever doesn't like the new rigs can't afford them, I think it has more to do with the fact that it's more fun to spend $5k on upgrades to your rig than it is to just go spend $20k and get a new stock truck. But then again, if you can go get a new rig and spend the extra cash on it right away, thats pretty sweet.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I can't afford a new truck, somehow I just ordered a 8" lift, 38" tires, 20x12 rims, and a road armor bumper, for that coin I could nearly trade it in for a brand new one :rolleyes: ......I still drive my 04 because it beats the new trucks by leaps and bounds. I test drove new 07.5's when I was looking at mine, I absolutely hated the new trucks. Besides for the 6.7 (which might as well be a gas job) the horrid headlights, taillights, interior, etc. Not to mention all the retarded emissions that down the road 5 years won't be worth fixing. Dealerships now are REFUSING to work on the trucks. I would much rather put the money into my 04 then buying a new truck every 2 years.

I will still have my 04 in 10 years. There is a reason if you go by a place like Cummins a lot of the mechanics are driving old iron like 1st and 2nd gens, it ain't because they can't afford it it's because it's been a while since dodge make a real truck.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

:rolleyes:A truck is like a woman Some are good, and some are bad, and some,.....well let me put it this way " at least it is not my headache!!!:rolleyes:

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I can't afford a new truck, somehow I just ordered a 8" lift, 38" tires, 20x12 rims, and a road armor bumper, for that coin I could nearly trade it in for a brand new one :rolleyes: ......I still drive my 04 because it beats the new trucks by leaps and bounds. I test drove new 07.5's when I was looking at mine, I absolutely hated the new trucks. Besides for the 6.7 (which might as well be a gas job) the horrid headlights, taillights, interior, etc. Not to mention all the retarded emissions that down the road 5 years won't be worth fixing. Dealerships now are REFUSING to work on the trucks. I would much rather put the money into my 04 then buying a new truck every 2 years.

I will still have my 04 in 10 years. There is a reason if you go by a place like Cummins a lot of the mechanics are driving old iron like 1st and 2nd gens, it ain't because they can't afford it it's because it's been a while since dodge make a real truck.

Wow...dealerships aren't fixing them...even under waranty...thats news to me but what ever. My post wasn't directed @ you but obviously you took it that it was. I don't knock you for driving a 04 dodge but don't let on we are all morons for driving new vehicles...I could list all my upgrades and aftermarket parts to but thats like grade 4 mentality...as long as your happy with your ride all is good but that being said there were lots of issues with the 04 also as I had one and had my share of problems and it just seems from reading your post living in a city with a population of a million people there are no good mechanics @ dodge except for yourself...maybe you can send me a pm since you seem to be the only one to know anything about a cummins motor...looks to me like you are trying to compensate for something with your list of aftermarket parts. Congratulations on spending $20 grand on a $25 grand truck...great investment its probabely worth $26 grand now hope you plan to drive it for the next 10 yrs...lol. Have a good one and happy sledding, maybe one day we will meet up on the hill and have a good laugh @ this post...I'll buy the beer...Cheers.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...dealerships aren't fixing them...even under waranty...thats news to me but what ever. My post wasn't directed @ you but obviously you took it that it was. I don't knock you for driving a 04 dodge but don't let on we are all morons for driving new vehicles...I could list all my upgrades and aftermarket parts to but thats like grade 4 mentality...as long as your happy with your ride all is good but that being said there were lots of issues with the 04 also as I had one and had my share of problems and it just seems from reading your post living in a city with a population of a million people there are no good mechanics @ dodge except for yourself...maybe you can send me a pm since you seem to be the only one to know anything about a cummins motor...looks to me like you are trying to compensate for something with your list of aftermarket parts. Congratulations on spending $20 grand on a $25 grand truck...great investment its probabely worth $26 grand now hope you plan to drive it for the next 10 yrs...lol. Have a good one and happy sledding, maybe one day we will meet up on the hill and have a good laugh @ this post...I'll buy the beer...Cheers.

Between me my dad and my bro we've been to EVERY dealer in Edmonton and most in the surrounding areas, they are ALL a joke, Old's chysler has a good diesel mechanic, but the service advisors are retards so cannot even get warranty work there. I don't claim to know everything about the cummins, but it's sad when I know more then the mechanic. There is a reason anyone who needs engine work out of warranty goes to cummins, they actually know there way around the engine unlike any dealer mechanics. My 04 has never been back to the dealer since it was driven off the lot. I'm not saying people are idiots for buying new trucks, my dad does it every 2 years to. But the fact is the newer truck he buys the quicker he gets rid of it because of problems. The 6.7 only has 90,000km on it and he is getting rid of it, just sick of the problems and the dealers can't fix them. The check engine light has been on steady since about 30,000km, has about 10 codes by now. 2 times now when it has started in the morning it won't rev over 1000 rpm, restart same thing have to let it sit for a few hours, it also died on the highway for absolutely no reason, but starts fine again. It's so unrelieable it's not even funny. And look up any dodge forums, there are TONS and TONS of people with issues. The few that aren't are getting rid of the emissions to make it trouble free. VERY VERY few people leaving it stock and are problem free.

Everyone knows you don't get the money out of your mods if you sell the truck with them. I honestly do not care, I have no intention of ever selling the truck. Heck right now I am looking for another CTD, I want the good ones a 12v.

Mechanics/dealers are refusing to do work on certain things because they say it is just to tough and there is no room. Frankly I don't blame them one bit. Nothing about can do about it, they can refuse to work on it for any reason they want, the owner is just SOL.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Buying a new truck every two years you're eating a grand a month in depreciation, from a purely financial POV you're certainly no further ahead.

You Dodge boys just love the punishment hey? Wonder why they're $10k less than the other two?;)

Top Bottom