Is 100LL safe to use ?

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a quick question. I have just bought a brand shiney new M8 Snow Pro. According to the manual it should be running 92 octane min. I have access to 100LL, would I be better off to use the 100LL or stick to 92 octane from Esso or Shell ? What benefits would I have running the higher octane and would it cause a running issue, or any premature engine failure or issues ? I understand that this topic may have been discussed in the past, so sorry if it has been a repetitive post.

tonykunz

Reaction score
100LL assuming you have access to aviation fuel is why you are wondering. I'd only be a bit cautious because of the lead. You'll definitely want to shut the sled off if you get stuck, and you really don't want to be inhaling any exhaust fumes. Last time I checked it was around a 1.76 a litre, which is reasonable compared to what VP charges for something similar. Tough call, but theoretically the sled should run well.

Vertical-Extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a quick question. I have just bought a brand shiney new M8 Snow Pro. According to the manual it should be running 92 octane min. I have access to 100LL, would I be better off to use the 100LL or stick to 92 octane from Esso or Shell ? What benefits would I have running the higher octane and would it cause a running issue, or any premature engine failure or issues ? I understand that this topic may have been discussed in the past, so sorry if it has been a repetitive post.

there is no need to run higher octane than what the sled requires. I think I remeber guys saying when they only needed 87 they would actually run worse with premium .
cheers
TH

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if Im wrong (and Im sure someone will) but dont you make the most horsepower with the lowest octane that doesnt cause knock?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100LL assuming you have access to aviation fuel is why you are wondering. I'd only be a bit cautious because of the lead. You'll definitely want to shut the sled off if you get stuck, and you really don't want to be inhaling any exhaust fumes. Last time I checked it was around a 1.76 a litre, which is reasonable compared to what VP charges for something similar. Tough call, but theoretically the sled should run well.

i' thinking your prices are high, you may be right but i thought i had heard $1.50, will have to check here in, red deer at the air port. reg gas here is $.90 or less.

Last edited:

oly

Reaction score
I would run prem. and stick with that. I am running 100LL in my M1000 turbo and could probably get away with a 96-99 pure octane but Av is the easy reliable way to go. Av gas in Wetaskiwin is $1.36/L but he will not give it out to sledders you need to prove you have a spray plane or something. I get mine for $1.53/L with no headaches. But in all honesty.. even with a pipe and y pipe you will be fine with premium.

Top Bottom