Iron Horse Trail

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Never been on this trail but thinking of going this weekend. Has anyone been on it recently and if so how was it and the conditions? Is it part of ASA thus requiring a pass? Thanks for any replies.

indygeoff

Reaction score
hi ive never been on it either but i doo think it is a asa trail ... are you looking for a second to ride with ?

Never been on this trail but thinking of going this weekend. Has anyone been on it recently and if so how was it and the conditions? Is it part of ASA thus requiring a pass? Thanks for any replies.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is a ASA manged trail. Operated by 5 snowmobile clubs along the railine. Lots of connected trails to this trail. You should have a trailpass anyways. If you ride in Alberta support the sport you enjoy.

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Sledderglen. Haven't gone out on any of the trails yet this winter so haven't bought a pass yet, but will as I do every year gladly. Have you been on the Iron Horse recently? Wondering what condition it is in?

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out that way on the weekend (not sledding) and the snow is similar to what we have in the Redwater area. The trail is covered and usually smooth, but packed hard. I didn't specifically check the trail for conditions but will be out there Thursday/Friday, I will check then.

Polaris Indy Trail

Reaction score
YamaDad thanks for the reply. If you do check it out on Thursday or Friday that would be great to know. You can PM me or re post. Thank you very much!

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just arrived in Bonnyville. The trail is softer than I thought, with no bare spots that I could see. Maybe a foot of snow in the fields, some areas drifted in pretty well. Some twitt drove his truck on the trail near Ashmont but hopefully that is isolated. You will need scratchers if you have a mountain machine for sure.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
we were in the smokey lake area and west of there couple weeks back now.. there was a lot more snow than we have around Edmonton. There were LOTS of sleds out for new years day up there.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
We were up around Smokey Lake and east on new years day.. A ton more snow than we have here around Edmonton. And there were LOTS of sleds out..

Wyeth

Reaction score
'
It is free to use by all, and all types of Rec. vechicles, horses, dog sleds, etc. does not require a ASA pass, was setup by a non-profit society/govt funding . Some clubs groom it in their area and they have some trails off it that they mark as theirs and would wish you contributed to ASA/ or their club to ride on their trail since they maintain them,

Trail was hard pack, not alot of snow of Dec 31, Smokey, Vilna area was about 1 ft, from what the prev. comment from Bonneyville area said today about soft trail, then their wasnt anymore snow since New Yrs, gonna check it out this weeknd,

Last edited:
Top Bottom