Interesting weekend

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other week I recvied a registered letter notice in the mail. I finally got around to picking it up this weekend. It ended up being a package, I did not remember ordering anything!! So I was confused. :confused:

curiosity got to the best of me. I opened the package, it had a letter and a hockey card inclosed. The letter was from a guy I went to junior high with. And the hockey card was a Wayne Greatzky rookie card. No I am no pulling your chains!!!!

The letter said how sorry he was for basically trading with me for this card and taking advantage of me back in the day, and how it was wrong of him to do. I was suprised as hell to read the letter and see the rookie card that I knew I had before, but figured I had lost it sometime ago.

My question is, What does a guy do ?? Do I call him and ask him why he returned it after 19 years ?? I have never seen or talked to him since junior high!! All I know is that he lives in Spruce Groove (I think) or do I just leave it be?? What do my S&M peeps think I should do?? :confused:

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go buy a lotto ticket and check back with us in 19 years.... just kidding..cool story tho.....frame it..it has a good story behind it:beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Your call..... he's basically returned it to you in good faith so if it's something you wish to keep great....

If it were me, I'd figure I've gone this long without it and not shed a tear (unless you cried over it) and It was a pretty stand up thing of him to do...personally I'd say thanks for the gesture and tell him he's looked after it for all these years so here's your card dude.....

Not sure what a WG rookie is worth, might be tough to swallow, and if thats the case then he did send it back......

One of those Karma things I guess...........

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Bogger suggested, I have thought about sending it back.. he had put it in a case about a week after he got it .. He also did state in the letter "Something to tell your children about and, give them ".

I think it may have been bugging him for a while or something else ? I have found him on crackbook (facebook). I just don't know what to say to the guy... Karma is somethimg I guess.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe he is sick and is trying to right the wrongs he committed in the past.

I thought the same thing, or maybe had a near death experience... or had something shake his foundation... who knows.... id be interested to find out what caused the act of good faith.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should at least offer to buy him a beer, can't be too bad a guy I guess.:beer:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Keep it. It makes him feel better. If anything say thank you! :beer::d:beer:

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other week I recvied a registered letter notice in the mail. I finally got around to picking it up this weekend. It ended up being a package, I did not remember ordering anything!! So I was confused. :confused:

curiosity got to the best of me. I opened the package, it had a letter and a hockey card inclosed. The letter was from a guy I went to junior high with. And the hockey card was a Wayne Greatzky rookie card. No I am no pulling your chains!!!!

The letter said how sorry he was for basically trading with me for this card and taking advantage of me back in the day, and how it was wrong of him to do. I was suprised as hell to read the letter and see the rookie card that I knew I had before, but figured I had lost it sometime ago.

My question is, What does a guy do ?? Do I call him and ask him why he returned it after 19 years ?? I have never seen or talked to him since junior high!! All I know is that he lives in Spruce Groove (I think) or do I just leave it be?? What do my S&M peeps think I should do?? :confused:

i myself would call him up and head out for beers ya never know
could end up being friends for life .....here is a link for the most that a rookie card has fetched

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW...cool story....I'd for sure call him and thank him. Funny thing you know....just goes to prove that people do in fact change. I would think he deserves a vote of thanks and let him know its water under the bridge...small reward for him to know you forgive him...(if you do) and would make it go full circle....just my opinion but thats what I would do....pretty good of him after all these years and my God....look whats its worth!!!! Who would have thought? !!!!

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i myself would call him up and head out for beers ya never know
could end up being friends for life .....here is a link for the most that a rookie card has fetched

I did have it looked at by a card dealer on Sat.(I was not going to sell it) I was curious what the card was worth... I was told that the card had been "cut around the edges" to make the corners more crisp. I guess that made cards worth more. But in the year this pitcular card was printed,the edges are rough and a little frayed.. So that has dropped the value of the card. They also said that it was a "Real" rookie card not a "Re-production".. This has brought down the value of the card. They recommended to get the card "Graded". to see the true value of the card is. I was told the card is worth something, but they did not know what that something is.

funtimes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe he is sick and is trying to right the wrongs he committed in the past.

I was thinking the same thing... Or he is a recovering substance abuser.. :(

Or he has just felt bad all of these years and wanted to clear his conscious about the situation.

I hope it is the second of the two..:)

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing... Or he is a recovering substance abuser.. :(

Or he has just felt bad all of these years and wanted to clear his conscious about the situation.

I hope it is the second of the two..:)

im pretty sure if he was a substance abuser it would of been gone long ago to support his habit

either way id hang onto it ya didnt have it before put it away in a safety deposit box and revisist the notion in 30 years
if it is in good shape will be worth more than enough

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
trading cards are almost worthless theese days so he sent it back lol..... just kidding very kool story now go and message him and tell the rest of the story please.

my guess

Born again religous thingy..... any bets?????

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
trading cards are almost worthless theese days so he sent it back lol..... just kidding very kool story now go and message him and tell the rest of the story please.

my guess

Born again religous thingy..... any bets?????

Maybe he is going to be a cop.And gave it back to get a job on the force.Who knows cool story:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom