Insuring a turboed sled, where???

Bradvtown

Reaction score
Gonna be putting a MPI 180 turbo on my nytro, nothing crazy but still able to run pump fuel and no motor mods needed. Where do you guys insure your sleds with turbos? Keep in mind I'm in Alberta. Every company has some excuse about not insuring mods that increase performance or speed. AMA insurance said the engine cc's is to large, 1049cc. The only company that even gave a quote was Royal Sun and Alliance for $1700 a year.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my turbo sleds insured with co-operators, but same thing the price was $1200 a year for one and $900 a year for the other.
Now I just insure them has a stock sled, and take the chance they will never be stolen.

schwindt

Reaction score
You will not have coverage if they ever find out there was a turbo on it on liability side of thing .....if you are from sask or Alberta I can help you out send me a pm if your from bc I can steer you in the right direction or give me a shout in am 306 732 1300 my m8t with 2 mill liability fire & theft insured to 15k is 415 a year collision will run around 800 to 900 if you have clean claims history

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm insured through life line who insures me through a company called oasis out of north battleford I believe. Cost me around 800.00 for the year insured at 11,000.00. Not sure if you have them in your neck of the woods.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Just insure them as a stock sled. The only time it would pay is if the sled was stolen.
Use the money you save on insurance and figure out a way to prevent the sled from ever getting stolen.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and Pray your sled doesnt burn up in a fire.... Tip: If you insure alot of stuff with the same place they will usually work with you on stuff like this. ie, car,house,trailer,truck,company,quad,boat...ext...

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The insurance for my turbo nytro (180) with a value of 15k is $550/yr through Economical and that includes collision. I had to call and let them know when the turbo was installed, but they had no problem with it. The pink card even has the model as "Nytro with Turbo" on it. I do have all my other insurance through them as well, so I do get a bit of discount off the premium though.

schwindt

Reaction score
Just insure them as a stock sled. The only time it would pay is if the sled was stolen.
Use the money you save on insurance and figure out a way to prevent the sled from ever getting stolen.

Don't want to preach but say you fall off your turbo sled going down mountain, and that sled ghost riding down the mountain hits a by standard watching, they likely will sue, they know you have a turbo, and the insurance company could find that information out easy. You have to have the proper insurance, and disclose information to the company or else they will decline coverage all day long. You have give them no reason to decline, if they have all the correct information and agree to coverage they have no way out legally. I have just seen to many declinations on insurance by people who mislead or failed to give information to company to get a cheaper premium, may as well go without insurance because it is the same thing!

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

X2! i am not turboed but highly modded out, same thing.

Doesnt yamaha offer a turbo MPI kit from the dealer/factory or something??? what the hell are insurance companies going to do then.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who I insured my sled through but their was only 1 insurance company in Alberta who would take it because of the high value and turbo. I just insured it for comprehensive (fire, theft, liability) it was only like $600 for the year. For full coverage it was going to be like $3k or something ridiculous. I will check the name when I get home. The other option if you want full coverage is as stated above just insure it as stock.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2! i am not turboed but highly modded out, same thing.

Doesnt yamaha offer a turbo MPI kit from the dealer/factory or something??? what the hell are insurance companies going to do then.
WAS thinkin the same thing with 1100 turbo cat. As you also stated NA sleds are not too far behind turbo sleds & there are many cruisin around them hills.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

listen to this man brad and buy a fancy 4place for me to toll. :) or do what i did with me turbo

Bradvtown

Reaction score
Ha ha I got it figured here Stephanie. Mr schwindt helped me out so I got a better idea of what to do, thanks again. Looks like the wife is finally caving in on the purchase.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember who I insured my sled through but their was only 1 insurance company in Alberta who would take it because of the high value and turbo. I just insured it for comprehensive (fire, theft, liability) it was only like $600 for the year. For full coverage it was going to be like $3k or something ridiculous. I will check the name when I get home. The other option if you want full coverage is as stated above just insure it as stock.

The Nordic Insurance Company

schwindt

Reaction score
I would stay away from Nordic unless you have claims issues or a young operator, much better rates out there with different companies

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from Nordic unless you have claims issues or a young operator, much better rates out there with different companies

Not for a $30,000 Sled with a Turbo their isn't. Nordic is the only company in Alberta that will insure it for full value, and no I'm not a young operator or have claims issues, I have my truck, house and everything else through other companies.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not for a $30,000 Sled with a Turbo their isn't. Nordic is the only company in Alberta that will insure it for full value, and no I'm not a young operator or have claims issues, I have my truck, house and everything else through other companies.

X2 my sled is through them and my 3 bikes 2 trucks quad tools trailer ect are with portage best price with more coverage

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am insured with millenium insurance in sherwood park. I told them that my sled is heavily modified, they didnt really care. they said to get it appraised by a shop to get the actual value. it costs me about 1200 a year with collision (keep in mind collision was around $1000 of that amount). I have a grid level -11 so im sure that is part of my low rate. I also have multiple items insured too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom