Installing ballast system

Apextenn

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have installed a ballast system with bags. What type of setup did you do and what was involved in pluming the bags in. I have a Mastercraft x-30 and would like to put bags on both sides of the motor in the back and one under that seat just wondering what type of pump to get and what is the best way to plumb the system in? And where is the best place to tap into lake water in teh boat should i just drill a hole or tap into the fresh water hole for the motor. Again thanks for any input.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you have installed a ballast system with bags. What type of setup did you do and what was involved in pluming the bags in. I have a Mastercraft x-30 and would like to put bags on both sides of the motor in the back and one under that seat just wondering what type of pump to get and what is the best way to plumb the system in? And where is the best place to tap into lake water in teh boat should i just drill a hole or tap into the fresh water hole for the motor. Again thanks for any input.

Your Apex isn't heavy enough, you need ballast?!?!?!?!?:d:d

Apextenn

Reaction score
Haha actually would work good just park it on the back deck of the boat. If you got board of boating just fire her up and go lake skipping but find out that apex's are to heavy for that to.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be at my dealers shop in the next week or so and I will ask what he has around. There will be a place off the fresh water that you can tap into. The question is do you want to hard wire everything?

You can buy the bags and external pump for less than $500.. that would get ya 2 500lb bags at least, but I am sure there is a way to hard wire and tap into the water now the other question is draining??

I will update ya next week.

Apextenn

Reaction score
Thanks jonni_t so have you been out sledding much this year? I have been out twice wish that i could make a few more trips before the end of the year hopefully it starts to snow at sometimes. Anyhow thanks catch you later

Fraser

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would check to see if you have room for a pair of 750's in the rear compartments, you won't be dis-appointed. As far as pumps i believe i used Tsunami which is a self priming pump, and don't forget to use check valves so they won't drain while under way. I personally would just drill a new hole in the engine compartment for the fresh water. I bought alot of my fitting from home depot, and my rocker switches and solenoids from Electronics connections which i believe have a branch in Calgary. If your in no rush Bake's Marine is a good source of thru hull fittings and equipment. Also if you search around on WakeWorld there are tons of guy's that have built some pretty elaborate systems. Good Luck!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ YUP for sure 750lb bags:d:d,,, the more the better:d

picking up my new to me 2006 Supra 22SSV tomorrow cant wait for summer and spring sleding:beer:

Apextenn

Reaction score
Ya i was thinking two 750 lb bags not sure if they would fit but on one website says you just fill them up and they occupy the space available so you might not be able to get the full 750 lbs but should be close. Ya i looked a little more into it and it seems lots of people use a jonson reversable pump 12 v pump that is 12 gpm. Probably take like a little time but the reversable would be cool as you could drain / fill through the same hole and hose a little pricey 300 per pump and need on for each bag. Thinking of the 1500 lb for the bow suppose to fit under the front seats not sure if 2500 lbs of ballast + 5 - 10 people which is another 1500 - 2000 lbs is to much though for a 23 ft boat would hate to sink it but i bet she would throw a killer wake for surfing. Sweet boat your getting jonni looked at a few supras was pretty impressed. So did you trade in the momba needed a little more room and a little more wake. Ya well have to mabey meet up sometime for a spring ride show you how the new turboed nytro works.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya man lets ride,,

sold the Moomba in September and upgraded to the Supra,, they throw one of the best surf wakes around, and so did my Moomba if we weighed it down to the rub rail lol...

if ya have 10 peeps in boat you wont have to add all the ballast its that simple but for the days with 3 people you can still surf...

here was my moomba wake,, worked great for me

SHAWN 025.jpg

my new baby, cant wait, I am upgrading to the gravity 3 ballast with 1500lbs in the rear and 1200lbs up front, with a 400lb bag I can move around,,, has all the goodies heat, sub, cruise, tower speakers going on.... should be in the water by laaaate April
supra.jpg

Top Bottom