Install my 7way plug in front of the wheel well?

hedge

Reaction score
I just got a new truck and I need to install the in-bed 7way connector. I have a 5th wheel and a slide-in camper.

My last truck I installed the plug behind the wheel well but it never seemed to be a very good place for it, farther to reach for the camper and I have to climb under the 5th wheel overhang to plug it in.

I'm thinking of installing it in front of the wheel well but it seems that I've never seen one installed there so maybe there is a reason that I'm missing.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Mine is installed at the very front of the Box, It was set up for a 5th and an in box camper. The camper set inbetween the wheel wells so as long as it's off to the side I dont see an issue, I always found it handy and wondered why more people with slide in campers dont mount a 7 pin receptical in the front corner of the box....

I just got a new truck and I need to install the in-bed 7way connector. I have a 5th wheel and a slide-in camper.

My last truck I installed the plug behind the wheel well but it never seemed to be a very good place for it, farther to reach for the camper and I have to climb under the 5th wheel overhang to plug it in.

I'm thinking of installing it in front of the wheel well but it seems that I've never seen one installed there so maybe there is a reason that I'm missing.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have had both....prefer it at the back, I can get at the plug even with the camper on and I find with the plug up front for 5th wheels theres a great risk hooking the cord on the hitch when making tight corners....so just my preference.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
What kinda truck you have..If its a newer Gm some of them have the camper wiring all tied up by the LF box bolt

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kinda truck you have..If its a newer Gm some of them have the camper wiring all tied up by the LF box bolt
yessir, my '06 came wired for plugs at the front and rear of the box. my slide in camper only needed 2 wires, one for camper power and the other for clearance lights so I just wired a three prong receptacle at the front of the box. wired the same plug on my sled deck too. pulling the 5th wheel I run the cord over the tailgate and plug into the bumper receptacle.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
yessir, my '06 came wired for plugs at the front and rear of the box. my slide in camper only needed 2 wires, one for camper power and the other for clearance lights so I just wired a three prong receptacle at the front of the box. wired the same plug on my sled deck too. pulling the 5th wheel I run the cord over the tailgate and plug into the bumper receptacle.

Ya it's a great thing and So many people don't even know its there. That's how my deck is wired in to. No hacking wires that way

hedge

Reaction score
It's a 2012 Ford F350, I have the T plug so no splicing, just drill a hole. It has a nice and long 9' cable so I have options. My camper has a 7 pin plug as well so it's the same as the 5th wheel. It just seemed to be a PITA to plug it in when towing the fifth wheel having it in the back.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

wire over the bumber, I got a warning by an Alberta RCMP, he dug out his rule book to show me, cause I didn't believe him, not sure how I got away with just a warning. Used it that way for another year then sold the truck

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wire over the bumber, I got a warning by an Alberta RCMP, he dug out his rule book to show me, cause I didn't believe him, not sure how I got away with just a warning. Used it that way for another year then sold the truck
ah, good to know. thanks

hedge

Reaction score
Just to follow up on this, I think I'm going to use the New harness from the OEM 5th wheel connector so I suspect I'll be limited to the factory location which is in the rear.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I got warned about this when I bought my 2010. Airdrie Truck accessories who installed my fifth wheel said "are you going to tow into BC"? I said yes. He told me I better have the plug inside the box then. I didn't think it mattered in AB so good to know.
No clue why. is this a new rule or has it always been that way????

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got warned about this when I bought my 2010. Airdrie Truck accessories who installed my fifth wheel said "are you going to tow into BC"? I said yes. He told me I better have the plug inside the box then. I didn't think it mattered in AB so good to know.
No clue why. is this a new rule or has it always been that way????

news to me! I've seen lots of 5th wheels with cords plugged into the bumper of the truck, campers too.

Top Bottom