inReach Question

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't they charge you extra to "reduce" your plan ? i thought i saw something like that

if i didn't already have a spot i'd probably get the inreach .. it does look pretty cool !

I don't know, but I'm going to call right meow and find out!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't they charge you extra to "reduce" your plan ? i thought i saw something like that

if i didn't already have a spot i'd probably get the inreach .. it does look pretty cool !

Called inReach and there is NO fee to reduce the plan. It's called putting it in suspension for $3.95 per month so that you don't lose data, have to reactivate etc. Then once sledding season comes around again, you put your plan back to whatever you chose. Safety Plan $14.95/month, chat plan $29.95/ month (if you want to be texting instead of riding :p )

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

There is a fee to 'reduce' your plan. But that is say going from the 50$ plan to the 15$ plan, but there is no fee to suspend your plan, which is what the 4$ option is.

EDIT - I was way too slow on that.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a fee to 'reduce' your plan. But that is say going from the 50$ plan to the 15$ plan, but there is no fee to suspend your plan, which is what the 4$ option is.

EDIT - I was way too slow on that.

There we go. I obviously asked the wrong question to the person I talked to. Here's what their website said

"Terms

A one-time $30 activation fee and an initial 30-day term commitment applies to all plans. Plans auto-renew month-to-month until suspended or cancelled. Plans cannot be suspended or cancelled in the first 30 days.
Switching between plans: Users can switch plans at any time. There is no administration fee to switch to a plan of equal or greater value; there is a $30 fee to downgrade your plan.
Suspending service seasonally: After the initial 30-day term, you can suspend/unsuspend your plan as often as you like. The monthly fee while your plan is suspended is just $3.95 and there is no fee to unsuspend your plan. While the service is suspended the inReach device cannot transmit, however users retain access to their online account and historical data in the Explore web application.
Cancelling service: After the initial 30-day term, you can cancel your plan at any time. There is no charge to cancel your plan however users will lose access to their online account, historical data and the Explore web application. If you later decide to reactivate your account, an activation fee is charged (consider suspending your service if you might use it again in the future).
Fees and billing cycle: Monthly service fees are billed one month in advance. Activation and administration fees are billed as they occur. Usage is billed monthly and by occurrence. Usage fees apply to incoming and outgoing messages. Overage fees apply to usage that exceeds the text or tracking messages included in the user’s plan as outlined. A track message is used each time a track point is sent. All invoices are electronic."

Called back again and I asked if I upgrade to a plan if I get a $30 credit, they said no...lol

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
My $0.02:
The in-reach was surprisingly large and bulky when I looked at it at the Edm sled show, and it didn't appear to attach easily to a backpack shoulder strap like the spot does. The gf likes to know that I'm alive several times a day, and digging the in-reach out of my backpack every time would take away too much from riding time I figured. The spot is small and comes with the attachment thing so sending messages, is quick and easy.

Add the ability to use the Spot while quadding/hiking/camping in the summer without additional cost, and either the in-reach cost increment becomes noticeable or its just a pain to turn the coverage plan on/off.

Yes, in an emergency it would be nice to send specific instructions to EMS, but just having them enroute without having to dig out my phone is enough for me, (never mind hoping the bluetooth linkup works when you need it most and your phone has enough battery/isn't smashed from the crash).

From what I could tell, the spot has no trouble finding satellites around Golden or Revelstoke either, so unless you're really far up north, I wouldn't worry about the satellite coverage.

Spot was the clear winner in my books... I think I've put in more than 2 cents now... I need to save the rest of my $$ for XM gas money!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We switched from SPOT to INREACH for the ability to have the 2 way communication feature. We also noticed with the SPOT a few times out in the CNP that the satellite wasn't picking up our signal when we came in at the end of the day and looked at our tracking points. This lapse could have been for any number of reasons but with the version of SPOT we had there was no way to tell if our signal went out and was received or not. I needed the piece of mind our INREACH gives us to know that should we ever need to press the emergency button I know that our signal is received by someone.

In case of an emergency I don't really care one way or another about the $20 or $30 per year more or less one or the other costs I want the reassurance that my signal was received and the most accurate information is being relayed.

Jan

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The satellite coverage is a huge difference and I think is a big deal, along with being able to get text feedback and updates, clearly separates the Inreach from the spot….were in the back country all year round and this unit offers an inexpensive safety net, just another tool, not a toy.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 134

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the texting two way communication IS NOT part of the basic plan, correct.

About 911 and cost......I had to call 911 to my house, long story short I had Respiratory Acidosis (pushed myself to the limit when running). Anyways they took care of me at the house and asked if I wanted a ride to the hospital. I asked if I needed to go to the hospital. they said no, but if you don't go you will be charged for this call. I declined the free ride as they wouldn't use the siren and lights for me (kidding). I was charged over $200.00 for the responce call.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the texting two way communication IS NOT part of the basic plan, correct.

About 911 and cost......I had to call 911 to my house, long story short I had Respiratory Acidosis (pushed myself to the limit when running). Anyways they took care of me at the house and asked if I wanted a ride to the hospital. I asked if I needed to go to the hospital. they said no, but if you don't go you will be charged for this call. I declined the free ride as they wouldn't use the siren and lights for me (kidding). I was charged over $200.00 for the responce call.

Here's the service plans:

Service Plans - inReach Canada

You can text with the basic safety plan at $0.95 per text for $14.95/month, or the chat plan with 100 texts for $29.95/month

wiseguy

Reaction score
Here's something else that available. It's a bit pricey at around $800, but it is pretty much an all in one. Picked mine up on the weekend and have been playing with it the last couple of days. The monthly fee is a tad hi, but it comes with the GEOS insurance as well.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After using the spot for a couple years sledding and my backpacking trips in Europe I have found it doesn't always get the signal out. As everyone said the in reach receives messages, biggest factor. Well worth the additional cost for the inreach. There are preloaded messages built in to it so you don't have to pull out your phone to send a tracking message. Read the comparisons, there's reasons why inreach is ranked above, but to each their own.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

One last question. It says 25 cents a track. So if I started a track and let it run all day that's one track?

Sorry no idea. I have a GPS to do that so Im not interested in that feature

roughriders

Reaction score
Just picked up an inReach and I was wondering let's say I had an incident where a friend got hurt or some guy got buried in an avalanche that I didn't know who was rescued but injured and I used my inReach to contact Search and Rescue, would I be the one liable to pay that bill since it's my name on that device?! Or is it the person that is getting rescued liable for the $$?

It might have changed but it used to be that you would get billed if you dispatched search and rescue yourself, but if you called 911 or RCMP and they dispatched them, then you would not get billed.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It might have changed but it used to be that you would get billed if you dispatched search and rescue yourself, but if you called 911 or RCMP and they dispatched them, then you would not get billed.

Hmm maybe I should call about that because I'd be pissed if I used it for someone else and I got the bill.

wiseguy

Reaction score
If you are worried about getting a bill for S&R. Just add the GEOS package to your spot. It's only $12.95/yr. I think it covers up to $100,000.

Boobage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still am on the fence between the two. My wife likes constant updates that i'm ok. Even her being able to log into a website and track me on a map would be fine. Spot interfaces with google maps is one feature i like. Where as inReach is a proprietary thing and you would loose access to their mapping feature if you close your account. I didn't understand Inreach's tracking service as well and the costs associated with it. Maybe have to give them a call for clarity.
I use Ski-tracks app on my phone and it lets me make maps i can print or look at on google so another plus for Spot...hmmm.

Ski Tracks is an awesome app btw and doesn't need cell service to function.

sledhunter

Reaction score
Been managing SAR incidents in BC for a many many years and have never sent a bill to anyone!

Here's how it works, somebody needs help in an emergency, the police are called, the police call SAR, SAR provides assistance to resolve the emergency and nobody gets a bill. Period.
OR
Somebody needs help in an emergency, a helicopter company is called to fly buddy out, he who chartered the helicopter gets the bill.

BC Ambulance Service charges helicopter fees when they respond via helicopter. If you call BCAS to fly to a location the patient may get an unexpected bill, (out-of-province medical coverage usually looks after this)

What it comes down to is this; you can manage the incident and pay the bill or you can call the Police, ask for SAR and let us manage the incident and we'll pay the bills your choice.

SPOT and inReach are great tools, use them! Broken arms, broken legs, stranded, lost, whatever the situation is IF you or someone else needs help use the device. Don't expect the helicopter to land in the next few minutes though. Anticipate how long it may take, consider weather, approaching darkness, etc. It could take anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days for help to safely get to your location. I have no idea what good their SAR insurance is, ask them. Maybe it would cover a Private Search and Rescue Service, again, ask them.
Stay safe!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still am on the fence between the two. My wife likes constant updates that i'm ok. Even her being able to log into a website and track me on a map would be fine. Spot interfaces with google maps is one feature i like. Where as inReach is a proprietary thing and you would loose access to their mapping feature if you close your account. I didn't understand Inreach's tracking service as well and the costs associated with it. Maybe have to give them a call for clarity.
I use Ski-tracks app on my phone and it lets me make maps i can print or look at on google so another plus for Spot...hmmm.

Ski Tracks is an awesome app btw and doesn't need cell service to function.

Let us know what you find out, we use the Garmin 650's for tracking......each of has one already and that way you can see and talk to each other if we get seperated. Will use the Inreach has a tool to call for help if things should take a nasty turn....or to call and let someone know were camping on the hill.....

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rowdy, who cares about a bill if the person is in need of help. If there was a bill,it can be taken care of later.

Top Bottom