Inherited 1995 dodge 2500 Cummins auto 4x4 sell it or keep it

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so here is the truck i promised to show pictures of way back when

Its a 1995, 92700 km on it... one accident front axle replaced... grandpa hit a curb coming into cash creek when he feel asleep... anyhow it's mine and trying to decide to sell it or keep it... truck has bush scratches on it that can be waxed out.. bigger tires, canopy is bolted on, rhino gaurd. Always stored in the heated garage... but the catch is it hasn't moved in 5 years... i got under neath it at christmas and there is some red oil on the ground... looks like from the transfer case and the diesel tank looks wet (have no idea why) i have receipts for the accident and how it was fixed and the tranny had 1800 bucks of work done to it before it was last parked... this truck was only used to drive from Vancouver to Williams Lake BC where grandpa has a cabin... its fully loaded except cloth interior...

help me get a value on this truck so i can decided to keep it or sell it and fix the rust on my 02 cummins. I have 3 boys under 4 years old so a regular cab isn't practical

Attachments

• IMG00251-20140104-1337.jpg
    IMG00251-20140104-1337.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 447

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fix it up and sell it. Someone will pay good money for a 12v time capsule and regular cab trucks suck with a family. Really depends on the buyer but I'm thinking you'll get about $9k out of it.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fix it up and sell it. Someone will pay good money for a 12v time capsule and regular cab trucks suck with a family. Really depends on the buyer but I'm thinking you'll get about $9k out of it.

that's kinda what i am hoping... shouldn't be hard to fix just gotta get it run... its all stock never modded and never towed more then a small utility trailer

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably get between $7,000 to $10,000 for the right guy - likely a contractor. Everyone else is usually looking for at least an extended or crew cab. Good luck. Personally I would keep Grandpa's truck but I have a place to store it.

tredeb

Reaction score
Don't let someone lowball you because of the leaks. If it has been sitting for 5 years, the seals have most likely dried up. I would change all the fluids and try to identify the faulty seals and change them. Don't be afraid it the seal is between the tranny and the transfer case, I changed one of those on my similar dodge in an afternoon. Sounds like you could have it in top shape in an afternoon or at most, a weekend.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would keep it that 12v is the best motor goin

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

my problem is i have 3 boys.. all under 4 and its a regular cab so thinking of selling it to pay for good body work on my 02 extended cab cummins! my motor is really strong just a few more k 310k.... so even to keep it for a future engine swap i don't think i'll ever need it...

we have a 02 cummins and 12 f150 super cab or whatever the big cab is called... tough call having two good cummins in the house!

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawk if I had some extra cash kicking around I would buy it just for the motor !!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my problem is i have 3 boys.. all under 4 and its a regular cab so thinking of selling it to pay for good body work on my 02 extended cab cummins! my motor is really strong just a few more k 310k.... so even to keep it for a future engine swap i don't think i'll ever need it...

we have a 02 cummins and 12 f150 super cab or whatever the big cab is called... tough call having two good cummins in the house!

Fix your 02. I have a 2nd gen and the new trucks sure look shiney but not having that payment sure is nice. Mine had full paint in 2011 and looks pretty good when it's cleaned up. 318k on it and the most work it's ever needed is a clutch, the body work was due to an outside dual blowing out and smashing the box up pretty bad. I'm in the process of re-wrapping the steering wheel, and putting in heated seats (one of those luxuries the new trucks have me craving). Got injectors and a turbo to put on in the spring so it'll tow like the new ones too.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a gem with that low mileage and I assume no rust!! If I hadn't just sunk a fortune into a '12 last month I would have jumped on this like right now.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So have you made your decision then ?

mrhankey... no but the only reason is that i am not there... like bnorth said... i may fix the 02... i have three bids all at 7k right now... and looks like i may get a promotion for work taking back to Chilliwack... i have to go there to sell the truck... this will give me time to decide to sell it. The wife is prego with number 3 due in May... i can't get down to the coast till the spring... when i do the three that have put up serious offers will get an email from me either way!

no it has no rust... the truck was in one accident... took out front axle... i found the receipt in the glove box... 13k to fix... fixed in 100 mile house by the dealership (ford) accident happened in Cache Creek - grand pa feel asleep coming down the hill on the south side... hit the curb at the 50km/h sign those that now the area know the curb is very tall maybe 9-10 inches... the truck was run after that and needed some minor hose work to the auto tranny.... i went under it the other day (christmas time) and the transfer case looks like its leaking oil and the fuel tank looks like its leaking... albeit i don't know what would cause that... the canopy is bolted down and has never come off... very nice truck ... never run in the winter or cold started...

Top Bottom