Info on avy bags

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also I preferred to nitrogen rather then the CO2 just due to the fact that the nitrogen does not get affected by altitude and weather changes like the CO2 does.

I would prefer nitrogen over CO2 as well. Good thing nobody builds a pack that uses CO2. :doh:

My Snowpulse vest works just fine with "compressed air" though, and I can refill it myself. :D

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd urge you to look at bags which store everything on the inside, I'm not a fan of having shovel handles and probes ect on the outside of the bag. There is the potential of these items being lost during your ride in the white blender and also contributes to the possibility of getting snagged on trees ..

Yup, good way to lose it and also will help drag you down

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thing about the ABS is you can change the covers on the Vario model. The ABS has been out the longest and has a great record. If you want a qoute send me a PM.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot more brands of bags on the market that most sledders realize, as there are only a few that a marketed to the snowmobile community. Take a walk through some of the ski and board shops and you will be surprised at the selection of equipment that's out there. There is some really cool stuff in those stores and don't worry you won't burst into flames when you walk through the door!!

Most of those are under license from ABS

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would prefer nitrogen over CO2 as well. Good thing nobody builds a pack that uses CO2. :doh:

My Snowpulse vest works just fine with "compressed air" though, and I can refill it myself. :D

Compressed air is not the problem it is the moisture in the air that could potentially freeze when deployed. ABS inspects their canisters 4 times over a week when refilled.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compressed air is not the problem it is the moisture in the air that could potentially freeze when deployed. ABS inspects their canisters 4 times over a week when refilled.

If there was moisture in it I'd agree. The Scuba tanks I fill my pack from contain DRY compressed air. I've been diving under ice for 40 years using DRY compressed air with no problems. Not the least bit worried about it inflating my avi pack. And I don't have to weigh it to see if it's full.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Good thread I just bought mine BCA Escape 30 have not used it yet, set it up tonight, inspected deployed it and installed a new canister this afternoon. HMK shovel & probe fit nicely inside. Not sure where my radio will go yet..... regarding the nitrogen, it mixes with air when filling the bag I'd like to know if it is potent enough to poison you if you popped the bag for extra breathing air. Pretty small canister those 85L bags are going to be mostly Oxygen.....I'd suspect.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thread I just bought mine BCA Escape 30 have not used it yet, set it up tonight, inspected deployed it and installed a new canister this afternoon. HMK shovel & probe fit nicely inside. Not sure where my radio will go yet..... regarding the nitrogen, it mixes with air when filling the bag I'd like to know if it is potent enough to poison you if you popped the bag for extra breathing air. Pretty small canister those 85L bags are going to be mostly Oxygen.....I'd suspect.
Hey on a side note

From what the avy instructor showed us and said, get rid of the hmk shovel and probes

The probes are thin wall and break off or bend when u need it most

Seen a set bend into normal snow, and not hard avy snow

Same with the shovel, the tube opens and breaks the shovel tube

Said ur better off with a old sos, as it's stronger lol

Would hate for that to happen when u need it most

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where my radio will go yet..... regarding the nitrogen, it mixes with air when filling the bag I'd like to know if it is potent enough to poison you if you popped the bag for extra breathing air. .

if you do get buried you won't have to worry about popping the bag for breathing air. It will be all you can do just to breathe, let alone move around

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I suspect you are right, just curious because it was mentioned earlier in the thread.

if you do get buried you won't have to worry about popping the bag for breathing air. It will be all you can do just to breathe, let alone move around

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Hey on a side note

From what the avy instructor showed us and said, get rid of the hmk shovel and probes

The probes are thin wall and break off or bend when u need it most

Seen a set bend into normal snow, and not hard avy snow

Same with the shovel, the tube opens and breaks the shovel tube

Said ur better off with a old sos, as it's stronger lol

Would hate for that to happen when u need it most

HMK makes a variety of models, I'm sure some are better than others. When I took my field portion of the AST1 I had a different shovel that was too small and too weak. the HMK preformed as well as any of the others. Same goes for the probe, mine is pretty heavy duty, I'd suspect it would stand up better than my SOS probe.

northof40

Reaction score
I have to agree with the make sure your pack fits great, not just good. I started out with a bca float 22 but only used it the one year because the straps would always loosen up and even when tight I could still feel it flop around on my back. Then I tried on a snowpulse vest, fit like a glove. Loved it even more when I got it loaded up and went riding and couldn't tell it was there. As mentioned you might have to loose a layer as they are warm, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I carry a second shovel on my sled and most days I never even take it off until im back at the truck or cabin.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with Bogger on the HMK shovel. Have had the same hmk pack, shovel, and probe for 5 or 6 years and have dug out of some pretty hard grader banks with it over the years. And have used the ice pick on the handle to chip ice just as long. That's said in -30 it's you can crack the chipping hammer..

I though I've only had the bca float 22 this year I haven't had an issue with the straps yet.
My only complaint would be once survival gear, radio, shovel, probe. Are in it there isn't much room left

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with Bogger on the HMK shovel. Have had the same hmk pack, shovel, and probe for 5 or 6 years and have dug out of some pretty hard grader banks with it over the years. And have used the ice pick on the handle to chip ice just as long. That's said in -30 it's you can crack the chipping hammer..

I though I've only had the bca float 22 this year I haven't had an issue with the straps yet.
My only complaint would be once survival gear, radio, shovel, probe. Are in it there isn't much room left

HMK makes a variety of models, I'm sure some are better than others. When I took my field portion of the AST1 I had a different shovel that was too small and too weak. the HMK preformed as well as any of the others. Same goes for the probe, mine is pretty heavy duty, I'd suspect it would stand up better than my SOS probe.
Mabe it's the new ones made, not the older ones

He also said the fxr shovels also do the same thing, that both looked made the same and possibly the same plant -stamp made... Also said the new ones are small and the latches freeze easy

I have a old big sos I keep in tunnel bag with handle, and good avalanche solutions one in my pack

He said it's too bad more people don't have both like u, cause u keep ur pack on and still can shovel with the outside one, just in case a avy happened while ur stuck and digging or digging someone else out

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a snowpulse high mark pro for 3 seasons now. No complaints what so ever. Test fire it once a year and always deploys like it should. Have lots of storage in nicely labeled compartments. Really like having my shovel outside. Usually gets used a few times a day and I prefer not putting a wet shovel inside. I keep my shovel handle in my the shovel and can reach around and unclip it and have it out in seconds without taking my bag off. Putting it back is a different story. I would for sure buy a snowpulse again!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Derailing a bit but I will pass this information out because of the traffic in and out of this thread.

I use my probe quite a bit for measuring snow depth. I also use my shovel quite a bit (I have one on the sled and one in my pack). How many of you guys take your shovel/probe apart after using it and dry it out at night? Separate the handle and dry out both pieces as they will freeze together and you will be digging with a short handled piece of crap (no matter what the brand of shovel you are using).

This I speak of from experience...............just a FYI

Back on topic.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If my shovel gets really snowy (deep powder day) it can freeze and doesn't want to extend but a sharp tap on the running board or a tree frees it up every time.

Ewaschuk

Reaction score
Got highmark pro. love the size and amount of storage. The internal probe pocket is nice but it is a little short for my probe. Had some fun last night and deployed twice to practice repacking.

Redrock Kustoms

Reaction score
Any bag that works is better than no bag, start there. If you are buying new you get what you pay for. Key points:
*I vote for air cylinder over Nitrogen cylinder for a few reasons. Easier to get filled first of all, secondly I'd rather have a inflated bag of air around my head than nitrogen in case of puncture (slim chance)
* If you look closely at bag construction some entry level bags/ and expensive packs have a two piece design where the deployment bag is in a separate portion and the two parts are sewn together, I think this is a good place for pack failure should it get snagged. A one piece design where the shoulder straps are integrated into the pack she'll is superior.
* Having a large volume bag is not the answer. The more gear on your back the more cumbersome you become. Keep essentials on your back and your secondary items and tools on your sled.
* Have trama protection is a bonus and the Snowpulse protech vest is best provider of that. With armor inserted the vest acts as a good insulating layer as well as distributes your packs weight around your upper body more than a backpack would.

I recommend the Protech Vest when asked. And sell 10-1

Ride Safe!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom