Info on avy bags

Ewaschuk

Reaction score
Due to the recent incident that happened way to close to home, the family has made me get an avy bag, which is a good idea. I'm looking at the snowpulse high mark pro currently but open to other suggestions. Pro's/Con's of any brand. what you prefer and why. which style air bag to get. theres pros and cons to everything. Lets hear it all. thanks in advance.:beer::beer:

DooDoo

Reaction score
I chose to go with ABS and these are the reasons why. ABS you can change bag sizes by simply buying different zip ons. You spend 1000+dollars and stuck with one size bag didn't go well with me. ABS has many size options for zips and all around $100+. I personally have a 8L, 15L, and a 30L zipon so I have options for different days. Also I preferred to nitrogen rather then the CO2 just due to the fact that the nitrogen does not get affected by altitude and weather changes like the CO2 does. Like I said before these are just reasons why I chose ABS. Everyone with have their own opinion on bags and in the end it really comes down to what are you looking for in a avy pack.

j-mart14

Reaction score
go with the snow pulse or if you want top notch go with the new fan controlled bags call the guys in golden @ avalanche safety solutions they know what they are doing there and have good deals

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go with the snow pulse or if you want top notch go with the new fan controlled bags call the guys in golden @ avalanche safety solutions they know what they are doing there and have good deals

They do seem to be really good to deal with, I stopped there last week on my way through golden to get a Transciever updated and they were super friendly and jumped right on it, we were back on the road in 20 minutes!

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I chose the snowpulse highmark pro do to the bag design, I feel that it provides a lot more trauma protection than some of the others out there.

As we all know there are a high percentage of avy related injuries caused from trauma to head/neck and not just from being buried.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the other side of that is that if you deploy while still on your sled you lose all your peripheral vision.... maybe not a big deal, but it was something pointed out to me while i was looking at different bags. i ended up buying a bca, i like that there are lots of options for refilling and have read lots of positive comments on service/support. another nice thing is that if you take it to the sled show they will deploy/repack/and refill your cylinder for you for free. they all have their advantages and it comes down to personal choice.

I chose the snowpulse highmark pro do to the bag design, I feel that it provides a lot more trauma protection than some of the others out there.

As we all know there are a high percentage of avy related injuries caused from trauma to head/neck and not just from being buried.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all good now even the vests try them all on and see what fits you best and feels comfortable
like found the abs and snowpulse fit me and felt comfortable where the Bca felt weird wearing it

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowpulse high mark pro with Pas system is a superior product from its deaign IMO. It's trauma bag like most of us likely don't consider during an avalanche is snowpack/rocks/trees and even contact with you're sled can be causal factors of survival incidents. Unlike abs with nitrogen fill, snowpulse compressed air is 1. Easy accessible of re-fill. 2. In the event burrial, I always think of it may be used as last couple breaths if you had to bite you're bag. Straight Nitrogen would poison you. Nitrogen vs compressed air fluctuating in temperature change is a myth. Compressed air is composed of 77%nitrogen 23%oxygen. Both bags are set at a bursting pressure much lower then what cylinders at filled at, giving them a buffer from any fluctuations. Lastly I think the snowpulse size is perfect for what I carry, isn't cumbersome and pockets are all designed and labeled for required safety essentials.

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
I know, I know, I am a bit biased. I have had guys buy ABS after having the vest style. They found that the vest was very hot after riding for a while and we have wondered about buying all the breathable clothing then covering it with something that does not breathe. The ABS frame seems to sit nice on a person no matter what the weight of the pack, when you get it sitting correctly you do not notice the weight. Also have had guys tel me they deployed their bags when it was sketchy and they were able to ride out without the bags getting in the way. Like I said just my two cents. Good luck.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are a lot more brands of bags on the market that most sledders realize, as there are only a few that a marketed to the snowmobile community. Take a walk through some of the ski and board shops and you will be surprised at the selection of equipment that's out there. There is some really cool stuff in those stores and don't worry you won't burst into flames when you walk through the door!!

DooDoo

Reaction score
just try not to support someone like mec...they devot their live to shutting down sledding and the likes

I was just about to post the same thing. A lot of those companies in board and ski shops are against sledders and will do what ever they can to close down sledding areas. Please do not support these companies, but hey, in the end it's your money so do what you will.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the other side of that is that if you deploy while still on your sled you lose all your peripheral vision.... maybe not a big deal, but it was something pointed out to me while i was looking at different bags. i ended up buying a bca, i like that there are lots of options for refilling and have read lots of positive comments on service/support. another nice thing is that if you take it to the sled show they will deploy/repack/and refill your cylinder for you for free. they all have their advantages and it comes down to personal choice.

great point and one that I had never really thought about that much, I will however take my chances with more body protection because odds are good that if I am in that situation I am not really going to need to see where I am headed until after the fact.

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have went with the K2/BCA pack. It by far fit the best of any avy bags i tried on. it has two metal bars that run down the back that dissipate the weight an insane amount. the only other vest that fit me even remotely close was the BCA Mountain Pro Vest. I really like the Compressed air as it can be refilled almost everywhere and in the case of burial and you need to pop the bag for a little wiggle room or more air if it ever gets to that point is a little extra assurance. the only downside i see as per the others is not quite as much trauma protection. That being said ALL are great go try them on don't buy just because of a deal. The thing could save your life and you have to wear it for hours on end while jumping around and digging. MAKE SURE IT FITS AMAZING not Great but AMAZING. Thanks just my 2 cents

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowpulse high mark pro with Pas system is a superior product from its deaign IMO. It's trauma bag like most of us likely don't consider during an avalanche is snowpack/rocks/trees and even contact with you're sled can be causal factors of survival incidents. Unlike abs with nitrogen fill, snowpulse compressed air is 1. Easy accessible of re-fill. 2. In the event burrial, I always think of it may be used as last couple breaths if you had to bite you're bag. Straight Nitrogen would poison you. Nitrogen vs compressed air fluctuating in temperature change is a myth. Compressed air is composed of 77%nitrogen 23%oxygen. Both bags are set at a bursting pressure much lower then what cylinders at filled at, giving them a buffer from any fluctuations. Lastly I think the snowpulse size is perfect for what I carry, isn't cumbersome and pockets are all designed and labeled for required safety essentials.

I love my bag, the way it carries the weight ontop of my shoulders, 40 lbs of stuff feels like 15 lbs when its on my back.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There have been some excellent posts so far, and I will defer to smarter people for how these bags deploy. I use a BCA Float 30 which has some excellent features . I like having a dedicated spot for my shovel (and handle), probe, and goggles, and I really like the zipper stowage for the handle when not in use.

As for size consider how much storage is on your sled. The downside of this bag is the weight and is that much worse if your lunch and everything else is in it. Obviously performance in an emergency is the main concern but comfort and usability is important too.

Good to see people reevaluating this sort of thing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear the snowpulse vest and am very happy with it. It is a bit hot on spring rides but it's worth it for the comfort in the winter season. It is not so tight that it impedes the breath-ability of your other gear it's not like you'll be soaking in sweat under it. I do wish they offered the vest with the pro style bag with trauma protection though. The vest comes with the pillow style bag like BCA.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd urge you to look at bags which store everything on the inside, I'm not a fan of having shovel handles and probes ect on the outside of the bag. There is the potential of these items being lost during your ride in the white blender and also contributes to the possibility of getting snagged on trees ..

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd urge you to look at bags which store everything on the inside, I'm not a fan of having shovel handles and probes ect on the outside of the bag. There is the potential of these items being lost during your ride in the white blender and also contributes to the possibility of getting snagged on trees ..

I got a BCA Float32 for Christmas and was unsure of how I would like storing my stuff inside. Now that I've had it for a while I actually prefer my shovel, probe, saw and hatchet in that pocket! It sure holds a lot of stuff! I joke that I have a family of Philipinos living in there making sammiches and keepin stuff in order lol

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a BCA Float32 for Christmas and was unsure of how I would like storing my stuff inside. Now that I've had it for a while I actually prefer my shovel, probe, saw and hatchet in that pocket! It sure holds a lot of stuff! I joke that I have a family of Philipinos living in there making sammiches and keepin stuff in order lol
how tall are you Joel me being the height of a average philipino I found the bag to large for my torso. I like that people are honest and posting both the positives and negatives of there choices

Top Bottom