Increasing hauling weight.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Uturn....I wasn't going to go through the definitions...but I'm glad you did!! :D :D

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payload vs drawbar/hitch and towing capacity.

We need to make sure we are talking about same things here. Payload is only what the truck can haul in/on the box. Towing capacity is different and can be proportioned to trailer axle(s). You can move weight on the trailer to adjust tongue weight on the truck. If the majority of the weight is on the trailer and the tongue weight is light, then you might be OK. Should get weighed to make sure. Scale readouts work all the time, even when no one is in the scalehouse. Drive down to your local scale afte hours and weigh your combo(s), this is the only true way to know.

yup....thats what I'm gonna do but I'm think I should be ok

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so where do I find how much I can haul and tow for my 1992 extended can 1500 4x4. if I remove my box and build a light weight deck can I haul 900 pounds in sleds? can I tow a double sled trailer with a tougne weight of 150 pounds and 1100 pounds of toys on it? some one also told me you need trailer brakes if you exceed half the towing rigs weight? is this true?

mel.h

Reaction score
I had a 2002 Dodge 1500, I could legally pull my 7000 lb holiday trailer. The trailer axles were far enough ahead that the weight transfer on to the hitch was legal as were the the axles on my pick - up & the trailer. I made sure of this because i was going on holidays in B.C. That being said, the truck was just to light to safely handle the trailer, first off i was going to kill the engine & tranny, it just worked way too hard, secondly, if you got in to the ruts on Hwy 16 & the trailer started to sway it did whatever it wanted with the truck. I never would of took it out like that in the winter. Needless to say I traded it in for single wheel 1 ton ... no more issues. Hope that helps.:beer:

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 1/2 ton does not have the stability or braking power that larger trucks do for pulling trailers. Even if you can pull the load and you think you are legal ( which I doubt) you do not have proper braking power to stop if you need to quickly

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
WE ONCE DROVE ACROSS THE SCALES IN TETE JUAN JUNCTION, AND I HAD AN '04 F350 SRW(BIG MISTAKE... LEMON:mad:) DIESEL WITH A DECK ON AND ONE SLED, AND PULLING AN OPEN 4 PLACE TRAILER..... WE HAD 4 ON THE OPEN TRAILER, AND ONE ON THE DECK, WITH JERRY CANS AND ALL OUR GEAR/BAGS INSIDE THE BOX, AND THERE WAS 4 OF US IN THE TRUCK............ THE DOT GUY GAVE US THE MEASUREMENTS AND WE WERE JUST BARELY UNDER THE LEGAL GVWR FOR THE TRUCK:eek:.....JUST SAYIN'

Dano670

Reaction score
hey guys .I have a 1996 suburban 1500 4x4 5.7 vortec,love the vehicle I just purchased a united 2005 24 foot v-nose trailer ,I will most likely have 3 sleds max in it however I could sqeeze 4. my sleds are listed under my post.trailer has electric brakes that I can control .Does anybody see any issues with set-up? any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. ps paid $5000 for trailer, seemed like a good deal.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok so where do I find how much I can haul and tow for my 1992 extended can 1500 4x4. if I remove my box and build a light weight deck can I haul 900 pounds in sleds? can I tow a double sled trailer with a tougne weight of 150 pounds and 1100 pounds of toys on it? some one also told me you need trailer brakes if you exceed half the towing rigs weight? is this true?

Look at your insurance papers, see what your liscensed GVW is, then go weigh your vehicle, subtract the difference. As for the box, all you can do is weigh the vehicle before and after, that will tell you where your at.

A trailer that hauls over 1400 kg including the cargo and weight of trailer must have brakes, if the trailer weights more than 50% of the tow vehicle it must have brakes.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys .I have a 1996 suburban 1500 4x4 5.7 vortec,love the vehicle I just purchased a united 2005 24 foot v-nose trailer ,I will most likely have 3 sleds max in it however I could sqeeze 4. my sleds are listed under my post.trailer has electric brakes that I can control .Does anybody see any issues with set-up? any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. ps paid $5000 for trailer, seemed like a good deal.

Trailers have payload/weight capacities as well, don't forget that. Always see guys with 4 place trailers with 5 or 6 sleds/quads loaded on there (sideways, stood up on end, etc etc.) Same thing applies. Just because you CAN fit 4 sleds in there, doesn't mean the trailer will be legal on the axles if you do.

As for towing, hitch weight and towing capacity on the suburban would be the biggest thing to watch out for I'm guessing.

magnet32

Reaction score
Don,t for get gas,gear,tools and what ever eles.it all add's up.my 27 foot camper ,2 sleds', reg cab dodge,deuly 19500 lb,s . roll across a self weight scale,you will be amazed! and yes get a bigger truck !!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok im going to shut up now lol. last year I pulled two sleds behind a 88 suzuki sammy. never got looked at. maybe because it was lifted up and had 33 inch rubber so it looked bigger lol.

the funnest one was when I put another sammy on a double skidoo trailer with a 7 foot snow blower that I was fabing on it. I pulled into a gas station to get gas and two cops pulled in. I knew I was in crap. they looked at me and I just said hi lol. I drove away and all was good. I knew I was totally over weight. lol

but on the other hand I got pulled over for strapping a 50 cc quad (125 pounds)to a custom built alum rack that was bolted to a trunk of a honda. cop said its not legal! I said why it weights no more than a trunk full of crap from the store. got into a big fight with him and to this day he never pulls me over anymore. it is legal to say to a cop I think your a a$$ hole. it is your oppion! just dont call him one lol.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It would be close for a K1500 truck, but it would be real close for a Suburban 4x4.. Probably looking at about 8mpg and start saving up for a new tranny, it won't last long in the mountains.

Dano670

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.Good advice,i usually only go from abbotsford to the coquihalla to ride, however i guess i will park the suburban for the long trips and take my old faithfull 1979 chevy k2500 400 or 6.6L with 4-speed,gas mileage might suck but at least truck will handle it.

Top Bottom