in need of an engine

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an 800r for an 07 summit. Anybody have one laying around they'd be willing to part with?

And yes I know this should be in the classifieds. I just think more people will see it here so if the mods could be oh so nice and let it stay it would be greatly appreciated.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup at sled show the CVtech had the 800r for $1985.00 (plus a $800.00) core that you send them just call them they have a 7 day turnaround so they said

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys but with shipping that'd be around the same price as a rebuilt from the dealership. I dont have a core to trade as the engine literally blew into pieces. I'm hoping to find something around $1500-2000.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks guys but with shipping that'd be around the same price as a rebuilt from the dealership. I dont have a core to trade as the engine literally blew into pieces. I'm hoping to find something around $1500-2000.

I'd get on kijiji and be an agressive searcher/buyer..... might be hard to find there Q.....

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you might not be the only guy to ever blow that engine so finding a used one will be difficult. IMO, you are going to end up at the dealership

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez you guys are so negative. I put the kijiji ad out this morning and did some searching on eBay. I currently have 4 leads ranging in price between $1000-2300.

powerclaw

Reaction score
be very carfull of what you buy without seeing it or hearing it run.imo just buy a short block that comes with warranty. you will not save much if anything at all by ordering a used engine from south of the border with shipping costs.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be very carfull of what you buy without seeing it or hearing it run.imo just buy a short block that comes with warranty. you will not save much if anything at all by ordering a used engine from south of the border with shipping costs.

Yeah I'm not really thinking I wanna get one of the ones on eBay. One is from Idaho and one from Quebec and with shipping they're both $1700-1800. The one for $2300 is freshly rebuilt by a local shop so I'm leaning towards that one.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Quinton, what happened to the motor exactly? Maybe powerclaw can help you out, he runs 'The Sled Shop' on 156st 112 avenue, run it by there see what he thinks :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quinton, what happened to the motor exactly? Maybe powerclaw can help you out, he runs 'The Sled Shop' on 156st 112 avenue, run it by there see what he thinks :)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlabl

Yeah I know who he is. Im in contact with another local shop who is also a site sponsor. The engine is entirely ruined. A piston seized and the con rod snapped then spun around inside the crankcase and punched holes in the front and rear of the crank case. Textbook definition of catastrophic failure.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to pick up a new shortblock from BRP for my sled, the engine was $1900, plus a $700 core. The case was cracked and the piston was blown. Still got $500 for the core. There is something about new from the dealership that makes you feel a little more comfortable than buying used. Call Martin, that's where i got mine from, and ask them what the deductions are to confirm. Might be an easier option.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to pick up a new shortblock from BRP for my sled, the engine was $1900, plus a $700 core. The case was cracked and the piston was blown. Still got $500 for the core. There is something about new from the dealership that makes you feel a little more comfortable than buying used. Call Martin, that's where i got mine from, and ask them what the deductions are to confirm. Might be an easier option.

Yes I've been to martins. They're my dealer and I'm usually there a couple times a week so I know them well. The list price on the short block has been raised to $2400 with the $700 core charge. They said they'd do $2200 + core. I then told them all of the pieces of the engine that are damaged and they said that the few good pieces I have left I'd only get around $100 back. And personally I have as much trust in buying a rebuilt short block from my local aftermarket shop as I do getting a rebuilt short block from brp. And yes I said rebuilt from brp not new. They sell rebuilds not new. At least they don't right now

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't believe that skidoo.com does list the prices of their engines right on the parts website. Something fishy is going on there.

powerclaw

Reaction score
do you have a good core [ cylinder, crank ,and casing? ] if your contact does not work out for you give me a call. 780-488-6686 my name is bruno and im at the sled shop. i should be able to get you a short block for about 2000.00 plus tax and ship. with a one year warranty

powerclaw

Reaction score
a rebuilt is 2445.00 plus core and tax not new

Top Bottom