Ice thickness???

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any one know how thick the lake ice is around Edmonton (Lac St. Anne or Lake Isle)? Is there enough to go riding safely? :confused:

woundering if its close to 8" or not???

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say not even close to 8". was on a beaver pond at a buddies place last weekend hunting. looked to be about 3-4" there. on the lake the centers would be pretty thin i think.
i see guys are already riding on the edge of wabmun though at the seba end.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dont even think it had time before the snow\"insulation" fell to get any frost into the ground, so yeah I'd most def be waiting ;)

GB

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't even take anyones word, check it for yourself as swimming this time of year is dangerous. :eek:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
YOU and only YOU need to check the ice thickness. I wouldn`t trust just a blanket statement of ice saftey in the Edmonton area.

Use a cordless drill with a 1" wood drill bit. Take numerous readings don`t just go with 1 hole. JMHO

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
YOU and only YOU need to check the ice thickness. I wouldn`t trust just a blanket statement of ice saftey in the Edmonton area.

Use a cordless drill with a 1" wood drill bit. Take numerous readings don`t just go with 1 hole. JMHO

What's wrong with a pair of snowshoes (too spread out the weight) and an axe (that will reach in front of you about 2 feet)? Oh yea, the muskrat hat also needs to be adjusted just right!!

Friggin' newbies!!! The old Red Cross water safety saying.....1" stay away, 2" one may, 3" small group, and 4" okay.

Back when I was in the north and trapping......

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

That Glen is a smart dude....

NEVER settle for just one hole....... each one could be different...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was out west of rocky today, Mitchel lake had ice around the edge but open in the middle. Clearwater river was steaming.
it was -30 out there. have fun swimming.
wear your water wings, why would you even ask you have a death wish.:rolleyes:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Well I know the kicking horse river by Field BC the ice was about 8-12" deep on the river and was strong enough to hold my fat arse and 15 other guys.....Oh and 140,000LBS fully loaded super B :eek:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well I know the kicking horse river by Field BC the ice was about 8-12" deep on the river and was strong enough to hold my fat arse and 15 other guys.....Oh and 140,000LBS fully loaded super B :eek:

sorry but its got to be said :nopics:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
This is an old pic from a couple of winters ago. It's been known to happen before....

Attachments

• IceTruck.jpg
    IceTruck.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom