I think that Snowbiking is here to stay.......

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got back from a 3 day ride early April on a Timbersled on a pooched-out 2005 KTM450.

Most fun I have had riding in the last 3 years...... I must admit - I was wondering what was going on when I was seeing all of these older guys out on them this last year in the Vernon\Sicamous area. At the end of three days I still felt good. The two days I spent on my sled tree riding nearly killed me. I am still recovering.

So - all my sleds except the turbo Pro have been sold (thanks Kijiji). Gonna build two for next fall - and bonus I get 2 new toys to play with over the summer!

I don't think that they are going to replace a sled on those deep pow days, but they open up so much more terrain to a guy with average abilities. I am not bad tree riding with the coaching I have had from Burandt - but these things are on another level. I spent an entire day within 10km of Silver Star resort making a big circle from the Provincial Park. I had to drive 3 minutes from my place. Couldn't do that on a sled because of the tight trees. At Hunters I did not even make the cabin and I was out for the entire day. I am looking forward to Trying out Big White even. Imagine staying up there, not having to trailer in the am , and being able to access some pretty decent riding on these things!

The more I think about it - the time I got enthused about snowmobiling is when the Rev chassis came out. Why - cause it felt more like a dirtbike than a trail sled! I guess this is maybe the next evolution.

Snowbikes open up terrain that you can't access on a sled for sure. Is it the next evolution? For sledding - No. for dirtbiking - yes. They will never make a sled "obsolete". This time of year is when they really shine, once the base is firm. Wish I could afford both but I wouldn't sell my sled if I had to own one or the other. Now...If they started making an 700-800 twin dirtbike you might see me in the dealership.....:)

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowbikes open up terrain that you can't access on a sled for sure. Is it the next evolution? For sledding - No. for dirtbiking - yes. They will never make a sled "obsolete". This time of year is when they really shine, once the base is firm. Wish I could afford both but I wouldn't sell my sled if I had to own one or the other. Now...If they started making an 700-800 twin dirtbike you might see me in the dealership.....:)

ever seen the gsxr snowbike vid? frickin wicked

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with using a sport bike would be the weight. The R1 weighs 450lbs before the track kit and ski. The yz 450 is 250lbs. I would still love to try one though. Might be a good way to get back onto a sport bike for me without the worry of losing my licence.

Top Bottom