I Think I found my next pair of goggles!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other goggle manufacturers should take note these are going to be awesome!

GPS in your goggles.

The Info:

The Vid:

Zeal Optics Z3 GPS Goggle - YouTube

no i dont have any shares in this or anything, but I really like the idea of GPS in your Goggles, no more fiddling with one in your pocket. Sure maybe carry it but now its in your HUD in your goggles, plus zeal lenses automatically adjust for light conditions, so no more switching goggles either! Whoot!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They sure look neat. Does anyone know if the lenses swap out and what a replacement would cost?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Recon has designed the system so that you can purchase goggles from a few select goggle companies and install the HUD in them, so you are not restricted to buying Zeal goggles. It is cool technolgy but you should really familarize yourself with their operation before you consider not carrying a standard GPS. The traditional photochromatic lens from Zeal are also nice, but you do have to keep in mind they do take time to transition between light and dark. We do have another photochromatic goggle that transitions from light to dark and vice versa at the touch of a button.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah if you look at their website it says they sell the GPS goggles with their regular lens for $200, also zeal is owned by maui jim, so not really a worry of if they are good quality or not. They have replacement lenses and everything on their website :). I like the GPS in your goggle idea just because it allows you to see where you are going without having to stop all the time. Seems like a good idea. Once i get them I will do a review of them (in use etc) I dont like using crap so if they are good i will let you know.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm I posted these goggles here about a month ago and there were a lot of haters out there.

old post - https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/new-googles-67007.html

I like the Bluetooth connectivity with you phone as well.I however embrace the technology and would love to have a pair. The new RECONS can be fitted in a few different goggle shells now.

Check out the RECON website for an up to date look at them, Dear Santa (wife).........

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm I posted these goggles here about a month ago and there were a lot of haters out there.

old post - https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/new-googles-67007.html

I like the Bluetooth connectivity with you phone as well.I however embrace the technology and would love to have a pair. The new RECONS can be fitted in a few different goggle shells now.

Check out the RECON website for an up to date look at them, Dear Santa (wife).........

didnt see that, But they look awesome nonetheless so i'll be getting a pair for sure. Zeal has impressed me enough however that i will buy a pair of their goggles, that lens tech should be sweet!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They look pretty cool but I don't know how great they would be in the backcountry. I am always zooming in and out on my gps. Plus, my eyes are not what they used to be and I think I'd have trouble with that tiny screen so close.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They look pretty cool but I don't know how great they would be in the backcountry. I am always zooming in and out on my gps. Plus, my eyes are not what they used to be and I think I'd have trouble with that tiny screen so close.

It works like a HUD so its like having a 14" screen about 4 ft infront of you

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Having had some time with these goggles, I will say this they are not for everyone. The HUD display sits right at the bottom of the goggle and if you have it on is always moving and changing. I find this too distracting when I am riding. I need to be concentrating on what is going on in front of me not what is going on in my goggles on the screen. That for me is a recipe to take my front end out on a tree. However, for some people this isn't an issue. I suppose it would also be something that you would get used to over time. I didn't try them long enough to get used to it they were just way too distracting to do that.

And yes I can chew gum and walk at the same time!!!!!!

Jan

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The reason we quit selling these goggles is that we found they had no real application for sledders. There are no downloadable maps that Recon has developed and when we approached them about doing this they were not interested because they didn't feel there was a market for it. They were developed for the skiing market and have maps available for various ski resorts.

They will not guide you around the backcountry or help you find your way out if you become lost. Please please please do not ditch your hand held GPS and think these goggles will be the ticket because they won't.

Maybe when Recon does come out with downloadable backcountry maps we will consider selling them again until that time we are sitting tight on these.

Jan

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, i'll stick to the trusty garmin hand held. Oh and i ride with Powderchowder and he is a human GPS, sometimes he scares me with how well he can tell direction in the worst white out conditions.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Ya, i'll stick to the trusty garmin hand held. Oh and i ride with Powderchowder and he is a human GPS, sometimes he scares me with how well he can tell direction in the worst white out conditions.

Larry is the exact same way in the places we ride. I don't know how he does it but he does. I guess it comes with years and years of riding the areas we go to.

Jan

Top Bottom