I need help.. bad. haha

bwilly

Reaction score
Hey guys hoping someone can help me out.. picked up a 94 zr 700 guy said it had a bog.. so I did the usual.. clean carbs soaked over night cleaned again. Adjusted them to factory settings. Checked stator cdi box and coil.. it was low end bog. So I started with the belt and clutch. Belt deflection over 2".. wtf right?? Checked it was the right belt.. looked to see if it had shims in it. It did. Center to center was 12.2" but that belt was loose.. so I look at the primary.. its a damn comet 102 c. Would this be causing my problems. Can I put a little bit smaller like 1/2" smaller belt on just to ride out the season for a few weeks?? And help here is great

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys hoping someone can help me out.. picked up a 94 zr 700 guy said it had a bog.. so I did the usual.. clean carbs soaked over night cleaned again. Adjusted them to factory settings. Checked stator cdi box and coil.. it was low end bog. So I started with the belt and clutch. Belt deflection over 2".. wtf right?? Checked it was the right belt.. looked to see if it had shims in it. It did. Center to center was 12.2" but that belt was loose.. so I look at the primary.. its a damn comet 102 c. Would this be causing my problems. Can I put a little bit smaller like 1/2" smaller belt on just to ride out the season for a few weeks?? And help here is great

just take a shim or 2 out of the secondary for the belt you will good to go

did you remove the pilot jets and clean them that's where a low end bog lives

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bogs can be cause by many things such as dirty clutches, hanging up or worn clutches.
Bad or damanged exhaust systems.
Worn out or damanged reeds.
Bad fuel, dirty carbs, worn out carbs, impropperly set carbs. impropperly set chokes, worn chokes. Worn out carb components such as needle seats and seat needles. Bent or damanged floats.....ect ect ect.....when you know what your looking at, you know what to look for by general observation of what is normal and what is not.
If your having to seek for help on the internet on something that can be caused by a zillion other things, my sudgestion is take it to a repair shop.
Bogs are not difficult to find if you know your way around these motors and yes if all is in good conditions most bog issues are found in the carbs.
Low end......pilot
mid range....needle jet and jet needle
high range...main jet
The trick is knowing what one does to the other as they are all interelated, one will effect the other.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i was to take a stab at it by just the info. your telling us and not physically seeing the sled....1994 ZR700 a 20yr old sled.
I would guess that your issue is in the carbs and related to possibly worn out needle seats and seat needle with the floats set too high or even worn.
Check your choke adj. too, a too tightly adj joke plunger will cause a bog.
As for the reeds, have you ever looked at them?
Then if all else is ok, i'ed make sure the clutches are clean and moving smoothly....PS nothing wrong with the 102c, they are simple and worked.

jjack

Banned
Reaction score
check your motor mounts use a pice of 2x4 and put pressure on your clutch from both sides if it moves change ounts nd check to make sure where hey mount to the frame is t broken or cracked

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your motor mounts use a pice of 2x4 and put pressure on your clutch from both sides if it moves change ounts nd check to make sure where hey mount to the frame is t broken or cracked
good call....those old freddie kruger 700 motors shook like LHF at a weenie roast

Top Bottom