I need a mountain bike....

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bike was stolen in the fall...

looking for a large frame hardtail 29er with decent components. looking to spend under 1000$, but who knows.

New online tip, don't know where to look or used around Edmonton. I've been looking on pinkbike already.

Cheers

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was looking for the same thing a couple years ago and found very little used for sale in either large or with 29's nevermind both. I ended up buying a brand new 2 model year old Rocky Mountain Fusion 940 from Skookum in Revy for just over $1k with tax. I had been looking at similar bikes with lower end components but after riding one with the SLX deraileur I decided to spend a bit more. It's a really nice bike, only knock is the front fork is a bit undersprung for someone my size.

What I learned is in that price range all of the bikes are very comparable so shop for the components and price you want. I would say try your local bike shops you might find a deal on a holdover like I did.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for sure, but nothings open and my kid wants to shred lol.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Revolution Cycle is still open in Edmonton. Have bought 4 bikes from them. Great service and lots of selection.

was unaware... I'll call Ben! thanks man

I see all of the other big box stores closed, so I assumed.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sir are dedicated.. good for you!

Thanks! its a great ride actually. down to the river, through a park, across the river, another park, another bridge and a big ol hill and I'm at the refinery! same thing on the way home, usually 25ish minutes each way.

just to be clear, no trailer on the commute...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks! its a great ride actually. down to the river, through a park, across the river, another park, another bridge and a big ol hill and I'm at the refinery! same thing on the way home, usually 25ish minutes each way.

dang that's movin'. I'm 12km each way and it's about 25min there and an hour home lol.

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

A few years ago I figured I’d really get into biking in the river valley so I bought Stump Jumper from United. Good to deal with and knocked a bit off the price with a little haggling. Tried with revolution an was told ‘take it or leave it!’.... 2 years after that I bought a cycle cross bike from Paul at Mud Sweat & Gears and it’s my go to bike for 90% of what I do. It’s effortless to ride compared to my mountain bike! I bought a cart over bike too and it saves a few hundred bucks

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky to have the downhill and flat sections both ways and no lights/traffic to deal with. In August I was 30 minutes and by October I was seein low 20s.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then some c*nt came into my back yard, on to my deck, and took mine and my wifes bikes.... ditched hers a few yards down the alley.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys sound pretty knowledgeable on bikes. My boy is 11 and about 5’ tall now. He’s really looking for a hard tail jump bike. What size should we be looking for. Thanks for any help.
I'm far from knowledgeable but would guess he'd fit an XS frame, maybe a small with some room to grow into it. Check the brand before you buy as it's not apples to apples on sizing when you convert it to inches.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son and I love riding the trails in the Edmonton river valley but this guy has trouble getting up those hills. Was considering an Ebike with pedal assist. Anybody on here have any knowledge or advice on brands? I'm mostly a paved trail/ gravel road kind of rider....no jumping...no off roading/rough trails
I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but would appreciate any feedback on Ebikes

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No derail, its all good.

PM Norona, he's all about the E bikes for training.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Argyle motor sports was offering test rides on ebikes last summer,I'm not sure if they will be doing this summer.It was every saturday if i'm not mistaken.
My son and I love riding the trails in the Edmonton river valley but this guy has trouble getting up those hills. Was considering an Ebike with pedal assist. Anybody on here have any knowledge or advice on brands? I'm mostly a paved trail/ gravel road kind of rider....no jumping...no off roading/rough trails
I don't want to derail the OP's thread, but would appreciate any feedback on Ebikes

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Since this is a bike thread, I'll just put this here. Nice to see you guys are into it as it is great exercise and gets the family involved and outside.

Years ago, the river valley in Edmonton was awesome. Kids rode lots back and forth for work and naturally, played down there on the weekends. It is probably more awesome since I was there. I was a high mileage (in my mind) road guy back in the day doing pavement or grid roads back in Saskatchewan and everyday after work it would be 30-40 km. I haven't been on a bike since 2000 and today was the first day. Going to get into it again.

I didn't forget how to ride but I sure forgot about fixing and tuning. I realized today that I made one more mistake of many in my life and that was selling the bicycle mechanics stand years ago. Dam, I sure should have kept it!

Looking forward to trails around Salmon Arm

Top Bottom