I do not enjoy working on my machine

Misfit

Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesnt enjoy wrenching on their own machine? I know alot of people get a great deal of satisfaction from knowing they did the work on their own machine, but man I tell you I am not one of those people. I have dropped enough items into my engine compartment to help anybody on the trail with spare nuts, bolts, springs, body clips. Luckily I have slim hands and can get them into some tight spaces but I have no problem paying somebody to work on my machine, saves me a great deal of stress. :eek:

dragonlady

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope you are not the only one. I too could care less about fixing anything on my machine. I pay to get everything changed, fixed, or looked at.and when I hop on for a ride ....IT GOES!!!!!!!! But then again that also has a down side.. ask me anything about my machine and my answer is 'I don't know!!

Misfit

Reaction score
Hahaha my hands arnt too cut up at the moment. or do you want a picture of me chucking my airbox across the garage. :D

Bucky

Reaction score
Something about fixing your own sled...or assisting a buddy while he fixes it for you while you drink a beer...I know this sounds bad, but he sled smart, me know well enough to bring the beer!!!

gusto

Reaction score
I would rather work on everybody Else's than my own .....caus I do not know squat ...Hopefully we will get it rite though..:eek::eek::eek: Not....

Last edited by a moderator:

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like working on my sled, quad, and bike. that way if something goes wrong when I`m out riding I may know what to do to get it running again or at least get it back to the truck.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I absolutely love workin on sleds and bikes... But i dont care so much for workin on my truck.... Glad to work on any newer sled at the shop...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like working on my sled, quad, and bike. that way if something goes wrong when I`m out riding I may know what to do to get it running again or at least get it back to the truck.
same for me. been tearing stuff up for years, my pop wouldn't buy any parts unless absolutely necessary. learned a lot about fixing something to "get by".

other than warranty, my machines never see the dealership again. I like working on them.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I Love Workin' On My Sleds

I Absolutely Love Workin' On My Machines, And Truck And Trailer, And Van And Car..... There's No Greater Satisfaction In The World Than Being Able To Fix Something Or Improve It To The Utmost.........pure Satisfaction.;)

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with the fix it yourself gang. With the shop rates where they are, I can fix it myself and purchase all the tools and still be cheaper. And learn a few things along the way.

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm part of the fix it myself gang as well. Shop rates are highly over priced for the quality of service that you actually receive. Sheesh how can Cycle Jerks justify charging $100/hr? Gave up wasting my money at Riverside and wasting time at Argyll and Alberta Cycle. Pretty much get the same results talking to the wall..... I stopped in at a Cat dealer out in eastern Sask. before xmas and their shop rate was $55/hr. Unless it's something major and warrenty will cover it, i'll fix it myself.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After every trip to the mountains both my clutches get totally torn down. Chain tension reset, track tension/alignment checked. Tunnel polished, wax job, engine compartment thoughly cleaned, including polishing the exhaust system. Most mountain trips average only around 150 miles for us. I did have a panel to repair from a rock attack about 5' off the main trail on the way out of Gorman Mountain Mania weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
After every trip to the mountains both my clutches get totally torn down. Chain tension reset, track tension/alignment checked. Tunnel polished, wax job, engine compartment thoughly cleaned, including polishing the exhaust system. Most mountain trips average only around 150 miles for us. I did have a panel to repair from a rock attack about 5' off the main trail on the way out of Gorman Mountain Mania weekend.

ROCK ATTACK??? WHAT'D YA DOO?? WHAT DOO YOU USE TO POLISH YOUR TUNNEL?? DID THEY GET THE BIG GIRL RUNNING YET? JUST CURIOUS...

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: I Love Workin' On My Sleds

I Absolutely Love Workin' On My Machines, And Truck And Trailer, And Van And Car..... There's No Greater Satisfaction In The World Than Being Able To Fix Something Or Improve It To The Utmost.........pure Satisfaction.;)

Could'nt agree more... the satisfaction when the job is completed is worth the busted knuckles. I pulled the rear end out of my quad a few months ago to replace the seals as they were leaking real bad. Argyl wanted min. 6 hours at $90.00 /hr. to tare down the diff and rebuild. I did it in exactly 6 hours ironically and replaced the front seal at $14.00. Saved my self $600.00, learned a ton and bought new mud tires with the $600.00 and still had $200.00 left over. :) And.. I know the job was done right... I hope :rolleyes:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ROCK ATTACK??? WHAT'D YA DOO?? WHAT DOO YOU USE TO POLISH YOUR TUNNEL?? DID THEY GET THE BIG GIRL RUNNING YET? JUST CURIOUS...

I cracked the panel under the primary clutch. I patched it for now, then it's easy to relace, so I'll do that this summer. I use Mothers aluminum polish and elbow grease on my tunnel. It's running, I took my boy for a rip last weekend and it seems OK. I made an appointment with Gerry @ Martin for the Wed. before our McBride trip. He's gonna Doo both mine and Daves at the same time for us.

tmix

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I enjoy working on my sled but i'm not a mechanic but the more stuff you do the more you learn about your sled... Let ur snow!!!

Top Bottom