Humboldt Broncos, horrifying!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I meant passenger vehicles, for the post from the other dude. Anything over 11,794kg is yearly.

Yes other provinces have yearly inspections for passenger vehicles, and only 1-2% of cars and trucks in Alberta would actually pass a yearly inspection.

Now I cannot help but wonder if that semi that was involved in the crash, was a local farm truck would the charges been the same.
From what I’m reading the driver is only getting charged cause of log book infractions, so if there was no log book would this just been a terrible preventative accident without charges????

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Which provinces have yearly inspections for passenger vehicles?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which provinces have yearly inspections for passenger vehicles?

All the eastern provinces up till Ontario, I heard NS recently changed there inspection to two years for cars or trucks that have a gvw of under 4500kg? But im unsure of that.

Ont I believe has to have a inspection when the vehicle changes ownership.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m betting that this dirka-dirka driver gets between 6and 10 years for the accident. Being a first time offender and a visible minority, the judge will pick the mid range of the sentencing guidelines and will order them to be served concurrently. His employer will declare bankruptcy and fold his company and re-start another numbered company doing the same thing if he hasn’t done so already.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
70 violations !!!!! Wtf if that was me I’d be in jail just for the violations.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
70 violations !!!!! Wtf if that was me I’d be in jail just for the violations.

70 Violations... this makes me sick to my stomach. How with so many infractions was this turd allowed to keep his class 1 or even be permitted or warranted a job. As we know the said company the turd was driving for (another turd) has ZERO respect for the safety of others on the road to employ such a driver. I have 15 units in my fleet either it be Tri-drive or Tandem body & Crane Units and if my guys have 1 infraction/violation we know about it ASAP and have policies in place for such behavior they are reprimanded and affects our Carrier Profile which in return they are up our azz ASAP.

Question is; how could the company he was working for be in business with so many associated violations. I'm to understand the said turd company just changed names and is operating under a numbered company sometime ago. (I could be wrong as that was 3rd party).

If the owner of the company had any common sense or morals he would not have allowed the driver to drive and RESET log book that day.

This was no ACCIDENT.... This was an incident that should have never happened.

I too would not forgive the turds.

May they all RIP.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
70 Violations... this makes me sick to my stomach. How with so many infractions was this turd allowed to keep his class 1 or even be permitted or warranted a job. As we know the said company the turd was driving for (another turd) has ZERO respect for the safety of others on the road to employ such a driver. I have 15 units in my fleet either it be Tri-drive or Tandem body & Crane Units and if my guys have 1 infraction/violation we know about it ASAP and have policies in place for such behavior they are reprimanded and affects our Carrier Profile which in return they are up our azz ASAP.

Question is; how could the company he was working for be in business with so many associated violations. I'm to understand the said turd company just changed names and is operating under a numbered company sometime ago. (I could be wrong as that was 3rd party).

If the owner of the company had any common sense or morals he would not have allowed the driver to drive and RESET log book that day.

May they all RIP.

Adds up quick if you dont know how to fill out log book.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do a fair bit of biz out of India and this is very common there with closing one company when things go sideways and simply re-open with another name and looks like they are doing it here now with zero checks and balances from all government levels. Pretty sad and even though he is showing remorse he and his boss should be locked up to the max and use them as examples to others within their culture. While they are at it, they should do a complete sweep of the industry owned by similar ethnic group and I bet we would be mortified what is discovered.

May they all RIP.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

May they all RIP.

You have ethics and take pride in doing running your business properly and safely. The dirka-dirka trucking companies don't and take every opportunity to cut corners, violate the rules and do whatever they can to reduce costs and maximize profits. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been sitting beside a dump truck at traffic lights and looked over to see nothing but bald tires, no flaps, lights not working and the list goes on. And that’s just the stuff easily seen by a layman. You can only imagine the number of trucks with substandard brakes, steering etc and other mechanical issues.
Truck inspections should occur every day at the scales, and outside gravel pits, truck stops, fuel card locks etc where trucks tend to congregate. Do quick spot checks for infractions.
I’m no expert by any means, but just looking at trucks going down the road there’s huge differences between the clean, well kept owner operators and fleets and the run down, dirty falling apart $hitboxes. I’m sure the truckers themselves know who to concentrate on.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes other provinces have yearly inspections for passenger vehicles, and only 1-2% of cars and trucks in Alberta would actually pass a yearly inspection.

Now I cannot help but wonder if that semi that was involved in the crash, was a local farm truck would the charges been the same.
From what I’m reading the driver is only getting charged cause of log book infractions, so if there was no log book would this just been a terrible preventative accident without charges????

Why do you figure only 1 or 2 % of cars or trucks in Alberta would pass an inspection? I've seen some absolute junkers that run Ontario plates.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why do you figure only 1 or 2 % of cars or trucks in Alberta would pass an inspection? I've seen some absolute junkers that run Ontario plates.

For one, windshields, non of the vehicles in my driveway would pass a safety inspection, lol.
A crack in the windshield where the wipers swipe will fail an inspection back east unless the wording has changed in the MVI rules.
There is lots of brand new trucks on the road with lifts, exhaust deletes, etc here in alberta.

Ontario only has a safety inspection when the vehicle changes ownership.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For one, windshields, non of the vehicles in my driveway would pass a safety inspection, lol.
A crack in the windshield where the wipers swipe will fail an inspection back east unless the wording has changed in the MVI rules.
There is lots of brand new trucks on the road with lifts, exhaust deletes, etc here in alberta.

Ontario only has a safety inspection when the vehicle changes ownership.

Yeah the wind shields take a beating here forsure.
I need a new one haha rodgers pass was what got me though.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

May they all RIP.

Didn’t the article say the 70 violations was found during the investigation??? If the company knew it had 70 violations I highly doubt there was any point on their carrier profile and there license to operate would of been suspended. Most company audits find violations when the auditor goes through records. I know a driver who got a log book fine for something he did a year prior.

These type of drivers and companys have been around for decades, and have stained the trucking industry.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn’t the article say the 70 violations was found the investigation??? If the company knew it had 70 violations I highly doubt there was any point on their carrier profile and there license to operate would of been suspended. Most company audits find violations when the auditor goes through records. I know a driver who got a log book fine for something he did a year prior.

These type of drivers and companys have been around for decades, and have stained the trucking industry.

Sorry .. you may be correct!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not making excuses but as someone who has come to these same intersections, when I was still rigging, I too have often looked both ways and thought about running the stop sign. On more then one occasion I was thankful I didn't. Honestly I'm surprised more of these incidents haven't happened.

Was it a accident??? I fully believe it was. Should he be accountable for his actions??? Absolutely....

Interested to see what punishment fits the crime

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Taken from the Saskatoon Star Pheonix, https://thestarphoenix.com/news/local-news/sentencing-arguments-begin-at-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-hearing

This is amazing what led to all this, I would also hold the owner of the trucking outfit personally responsible as well. His court date is Monday, I hope he is penalized as much as Sidhu

Sidhu “was in way over his head” driving the route that ended at an intersection now marked with memorials, court heard. He should never have been driving by himself on secondary highways in unfamiliar locations, Brayford said.

“My client chose to drive without proper experience.”
The day before the crash, Sidhu drove from Calgary to Saskatoon and slept overnight. He then drove from Saskatoon to Carrot River. Court heard it was his first week driving alone after only two weeks of driving with a partner.
Brayford described how, on his way to Carrot River, Sidhu missed a turn and pulled over on the side of a narrow secondary highway to look at his GPS. He struggled to get the semi going and a helpful man pulled him into motion.
He loaded up in Carrot River, but the peat moss he was transporting needed to be covered with a tarp — the object of his eventual distraction.
Who is Jaskirat Singh Sidhu?
In 2013, Sidhu moved to Canada from India, where he grew up in a small town. He came with a commerce degree and the woman who would eventually become his wife.
She came to Canada slightly before Sidhu moved to Toronto, court heard. They were students; Sidhu got a two-year business diploma and worked at a liquor store.
“They came to love Canada,” Brayford said.
“My client chose to drive without proper experience.” – Mark Brayford​
In August 2017, Sidhu took his training to become a commercial transport truck driver in Alberta. He said it lasted about a week, then he was tested and obtained his licence.
Sidhu got married in India and returned to Canada on March 6, 2018. He was hired at a small trucking company three weeks before the crash, on March 17, 2018.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well this driver did not mean to kill anyone, he will be sent to jail and will likely get deported after doing his time. Meanwhile Omar was out to murder as many Canadians as he could, Trudeau jumps in and rewards his behavior will millions of dollars and no deportation....WTF.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Is this guy Muslim or Sikh?
Well this driver did not mean to kill anyone, he will be sent to jail and will likely get deported after doing his time. Meanwhile Omar was out to murder as many Canadians as he could, Trudeau jumps in and rewards his behavior will millions of dollars and no deportation....WTF.

Top Bottom