Huh?! What the heck Cat

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow buildup is a huge issue. Just haven't seen it myself. No one is saying your wrong. I bet my sled carts 50-100lbs of snow depending on conditions. Perhaps minimizing the cooling surface helps. Keeps the aluminum cold. Skidoo runs a full length cooler and I think Polaris does?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
After a heavy day in vale we had zero snow on my 13ltd M800 and the ice and buildup on my buddies 14 SP XM we got a whopping 9lbs of ice and snow from the tunnel and running boards where mine had nothing, I don't get where the numbers are coming from but if 9lbs is a concern for you I hope you have a strict diet plan and exercise regiment, all I know about the cat is it works for me and coming from an M chassis I fell bad I handed it to my gf;)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After a heavy day in vale we had zero snow on my 13ltd M800 and the ice and buildup on my buddies 14 SP XM we got a whopping 9lbs of ice and snow from the tunnel and running boards where mine had nothing, I don't get where the numbers are coming from but if 9lbs is a concern for you I hope you have a strict diet plan and exercise regiment, all I know about the cat is it works for me and coming from an M chassis I fell bad I handed it to my gf;)

I just smashed a 9lb donair. Diet plan?

jasonrev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say yes, based on our experience. Any time we get a used sled here between 300-500cc it's gone in less than 24 hours. I would think that avid sledders who have youngish children would gobble them up. How many guys do you know with Z120s? We sell a ton of them - at some point those kids are too big for the 120 engine and chassis, but what do you put them on?

With kids quads and sleds you rarely lose a pile of money, as you can often turn around and resell for nearly what you paid - in my experience, anyways.
I totally agree! I bought a mini z for my kids a few years ago for a good deal and based on what I see them go for I wouldn't sell it for a penny less than I bought it for.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just smashed a 9lb donair. Diet plan?

Exactly my point, I watch people waste hundreds trying to shed 15lbs off their sled yet they crush beer, don't exercise, and eat like sh@t, it's pointless, to me if it's under 10-20lbs you don't really notice the difference, the best part of the forward cooler is the factory boards never build up so it's one less thing that needs replacing, pretty sure if you're worried about 9lbs there's ways to eliminate the difference for most of us, starting with taking a little care of yourself, 9lbs would bring it on par at best with the other two but the way they've distributed the weight it feels lighter to me anyway

crossfire879

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the Mcclure and Kincaid sleds have anything extra other than rediculous looking graphics? I still dont understand why the 600 and "7000" got a new gauge but the 800 didnt?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That snow weight thing is hilarious. What exactly makes it hold less snow. Magic? All sleds are relatively the same when it comes to materials and components soooo?

No never noticed. I spend a lot of time at the cabin getting drunk and high and there is usually lots of cats parked there. But again they have an aluminum tunnel just like the others. Not a magic tunnel. So what's the magical explanation?

Ok.. a TUNNEL holding more snow than another tunnel is pretty stupid... I just assumed everyone was talking about front compartment..... If your talking rear skid... MAYBE you could have a ported track that holds less snow? i dont know.... but really... the only time you are going to need to lift it is when its stuck.. in which case the ports wont really do anything.... But yea I duno...... A poweder coated tunnel over a non.... you might get an extra like .03 lb of snow that clings on to it or something... Its a U-shaped peice of aluminum lol.

Its so much more weight than most people think. the cooler(s) on any sled/brand heat the tunnel up and then snow melts and sticks to the tunnel, makes ice. This happens on all brands and models. Cat found that with the Sno Pro coolers (more surface area contacting the tunnel material) they were picking up a bunch more ice weight than using the smaller Limited cooler. Non-coated or coated, it don't matter. Not talking about the stuff on top or outside, but the amount of ice that accumulates on the inside of the tunnel, from the rear bumper to the front above the drivers. it happens due to the snow being thrown off the track. The Limited cooler doesn't cause the issue as much and resulted in a significant weight savings.

End of the day, after tossing around 20 extra lbs all day, makes a huge difference to sled handling and rider fatigue.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Exactly my point, I watch people waste hundreds trying to shed 15lbs off their sled yet they crush beer, don't exercise, and eat like sh@t, it's pointless, to me if it's under 10-20lbs you don't really notice the difference, the best part of the forward cooler is the factory boards never build up so it's one less thing that needs replacing, pretty sure if you're worried about 9lbs there's ways to eliminate the difference for most of us, starting with taking a little care of yourself, 9lbs would bring it on par at best with the other two but the way they've distributed the weight it feels lighter to me anyway

bullsh!t. if you could drop 9 lbs of weight off your sled FOR FREE, you're telling us you'd eat a salad instead? Why not eat the salad and drop the free 9 lbs anyway? now you are 20 lbs lighter......... an ounce here and there, pretty soon its a pound, then a few more pounds, pretty soon its 10-15 lbs. To be able to shave 10-15 lbs on a new sled is pretty substantial and makes a huge difference in the amount input energy and how a sled handles and rides, its centralized mass, CG, and especially sprung weight above the shocks.

Pulling that much weight off a 1996 Indy XLT was easy, not very easy to do these days.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat has THE LIGHTEST sled on the snow once it has been ridden, I'm talking real world snow accumulation and not what it weighs in the shop all dry and no fluids. This has been verified by a couple independent studies.

I think you misread the "studies" as you call them. The one-off experiment found that the Cat gained the least weight. But it started as by the heaviest, and ended as heaviest or second heaviest. So no, I don't think anyone has ever shown it is the lightest wet and sticky sled.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bullsh!t. if you could drop 9 lbs of weight off your sled FOR FREE

The tiny tunnel heat exchanger isn't free weight savings. It comes at the cost of cooling performance on hard snow. Honestly I'd rather never have to worry about engine temperature and scratchers than mess with scratchers multiple times a day to save 9lbs.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you misread the "studies" as you call them. The one-off experiment found that the Cat gained the least weight. But it started as by the heaviest, and ended as heaviest or second heaviest. So no, I don't think anyone has ever shown it is the lightest wet and sticky sled.

These were the results in "said study" adamg.

They measured more material sticking to the Doo & Poo compared to what was on the Cat.....The Cat held 47lbs of ice while 36 lbs more snow & ice collected on the doo and 47 lbs more on the Polaris.......I know......lol.....Cat Propaganda

Sled Weights:
Cat 564 lbs
Doo 558 lbs
Poo 516 lbs

After riding in deep powder;
Cat 611 lbs 47 lbs ice
Doo 641 lbs. 83 lbs ice...36 lb more than Cat
Poo 610 lbs. 94 lbs ice....47 lbs more than Cat

Last edited:

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score

Ok... WOAH!..............I have NEVER tried to shed 15lbs off my sled.....

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bullsh!t. if you could drop 9 lbs of weight off your sled FOR FREE, you're telling us you'd eat a salad instead? Why not eat the salad and drop the free 9 lbs anyway? now you are 20 lbs lighter......... an ounce here and there, pretty soon its a pound, then a few more pounds, pretty soon its 10-15 lbs. To be able to shave 10-15 lbs on a new sled is pretty substantial and makes a huge difference in the amount input energy and how a sled handles and rides, its centralized mass, CG, and especially sprung weight above the shocks.

Pulling that much weight off a 1996 Indy XLT was easy, not very easy to do these days.
im saying more so that I personally don't care about weight when it's 10-20lbs when the new geometry really changed how much less fatigued I get already and that if I were concerned with weight I wouldn't bring my pack, tunnel bag or gas cans, etc. I'd like to see a video of this 40+ pounds because we knocked out as much ice and snow from all over the gas rack tunnel top and bottom and it was 9lbs. I could care less to change my diet for sledding it's not my job nor am I a pro by any stretch, I do workout for personal health and definitely ramp up sled specific exercises but that's neither here nor there really. I stick to my earlier comment though, the cat works for me, sure I put my scratchers down before everyone else but I don't need aftermarket boards nor do I have to kick chunks of ice and snow off them, and all in all although the changes were minimal it will take a drastic change for me to switch

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These were the results in "said study" adamg.

They measured more material sticking to the Doo & Poo compared to what was on the Cat.....The Cat held 47lbs of ice while 36 lbs more snow & ice collected on the doo and 47 lbs more on the Polaris.......I know......lol.....Cat Propaganda

Sled Weights:
Cat 564 lbs
Doo 558 lbs
Poo 516 lbs

After riding in deep powder;
Cat 611 lbs 47 lbs ice
Doo 641 lbs. 83 lbs ice...36 lb more than Cat
Poo 610 lbs. 94 lbs ice....47 lbs more than Cat
Interesting numbers but I have a hard time visualizing that much ice build up. Reason why I say that is because a bag of ice is close to ten pounds, now picture 10 bags of Ice on the tunnel of the pro, I just can't see all the weight from just ice and snow amounting to that?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting numbers but I have a hard time visualizing that much ice build up. Reason why I say that is because a bag of ice is close to ten pounds, now picture 10 bags of Ice on the tunnel of the pro, I just can't see all the weight from just ice and snow amounting to that?

they weighed the whole sled.....sleds collect snow and ice front & back, not just the tunnel.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I watched the video last year and yes I know sleds collect more then on the tunnel lol. I'm not trying to disprove arctic cats video. I was just trying to use an example to better picture the weights being that they are substantial.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they weighed the whole sled.....sleds collect snow and ice front & back, not just the tunnel.

Still though. 90lbs? I'd buy 40 maybe. Even 40-50 tops on my old Rev would be a stretch from what I kicked off of it.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This wasn't the "test" where they hung it from the tree last year, Snowtech and some others did their own work for 2014. Sorry, no one misread and its not fiction. I will weigh the ice that comes off my sled in the next couple weeekends and give you the honest truth. I don't like it melting onto my garage floor, so I pull the ice off every weekend. From what I pulled out of it most weekends, I know I generally fill a 5 gallon pail with ice and I chuck a couple good size pieces out the door that never make it into the pail. 15-20 lbs in ice on the tunnel doesn't seem like a stretch to me but I will weigh it for sure.

The tiny tunnel heat exchanger isn't free weight savings. It comes at the cost of cooling performance on hard snow. Honestly I'd rather never have to worry about engine temperature and scratchers than mess with scratchers multiple times a day to save 9lbs.

1) The smaller cooler is actually weight savings, since it simply makes the sled lighter. The amount of ice build up it reduces is also weight savings. 2) who says you have to worry about anything overheating? The folks with the LTD sleds never had an issue, and LOTS of guys have done the smaller cooler conversion on the 2013's and 2012's with no issues. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill for a cooling performance issue that doesn't exist. In the west, on a spring morning, if you have to run scratchers with the smaller cooler, you'll likely have to run them with the larger cooler as well.

Sorry if you really don't like Cat or the idea they could have a light sled but fact of the matter is, they made big strides on the 2014 to reduce weight wherever possible. They used a lighter brake rotor, they used a lighter gear in the chaincase, they machined out the spindles, they used alum instead of steel for the steering tubes....etc etc etc.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This wasn't the "test" where they hung it from the tree last year, Snowtech and some others did their own work for 2014. Sorry, no one misread and its not fiction. I will weigh the ice that comes off my sled in the next couple weeekends and give you the honest truth. I don't like it melting onto my garage floor, so I pull the ice off every weekend. From what I pulled out of it most weekends, I know I generally fill a 5 gallon pail with ice and I chuck a couple good size pieces out the door that never make it into the pail. 15-20 lbs in ice on the tunnel doesn't seem like a stretch to me but I will weigh it for sure.

1) The smaller cooler is actually weight savings, since it simply makes the sled lighter. The amount of ice build up it reduces is also weight savings. 2) who says you have to worry about anything overheating? The folks with the LTD sleds never had an issue, and LOTS of guys have done the smaller cooler conversion on the 2013's and 2012's with no issues. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill for a cooling performance issue that doesn't exist. In the west, on a spring morning, if you have to run scratchers with the smaller cooler, you'll likely have to run them with the larger cooler as well.

Sorry if you really don't like Cat or the idea they could have a light sled but fact of the matter is, they made big strides on the 2014 to reduce weight wherever possible. They used a lighter brake rotor, they used a lighter gear in the chaincase, they machined out the spindles, they used alum instead of steel for the steering tubes....etc etc etc.

I agree, Modman. My hubby has the 13 LTD with the front cooler....and the ice build up he saves over the ice build up on my 12 is CRAZY. He has overheated a couple times in marginal, hard packed conditions but as long as he could find a bit of snow to kick up in there it was fine. I'm riding a 14 this season and the improvements over the 13 are AMAZING, and SUPER HUGE improvements over the 12! Cat has really improved the handling and dropped the skid back so no more catwalking. I'm so amazed with this sled, and the clutching has definitely improved. I'm not even running a vent kit on this 14 and it seems to run so much cooler than the 12 and 13. :)

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I like burgers. My sled likes snow ... neither one of us are willing to give either of thsoe up. Therefore.... I wish you all a good day.

Top Bottom