Huh?! What the heck Cat

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for profitability? I don't know the answer to that, it's clearly no, or else they'd be pumping these things out. Would this be a good way to promote brand loyalty? Sell more accessories: helmets, snow suits, even kids casual clothes? I say yes. Kids go gaga over ch!t they like, cripes, my own 3 year old is addicted to Dora, much to my chagrin. If we walk by a Dora shirt, you can bet your azz I'm buying it, because that's what she wants....

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe there is a market for a smaller sled as well for kids. Whether the manufacturer will tool up for something that is that small a market remains to be seen. With ever increasing scrutiny on emmissions I doubt many manufacturers want more fan cooled models in there lineup right now.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems f*cked to me that they couldn't even make a change and add a tether as standard equipment.
It's just a case of manufacturers milking customers for more $$(part & instal) on items that should be standard to begin with. Its basic safety and could save your sled and your life.

Now THAT I definitely agree with! Should be required from factory by law!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems f*cked to me that they couldn't even make a change and add a tether as standard equipment.
It's just a case of manufacturers milking customers for more $$(part & instal) on items that should be standard to begin with. Its basic safety and could save your sled and your life.
What's with the "air pump" as standard equipment?

...anyone see a weight? ...funny how such a pertinent figure in the technical data is omitted. That's weird!

As far as I know the only mountain sleds with tethers as standard equipment are the two Special Editions (David McClure & Rob Kincade) and the HCR. I really think Arctic Cat should be putting tethers on ALL of their mountain machines, not just a select few!

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally agree with the mid size sled. I have 4 kids, 7 to 13, who do okay on a couple of Phazers and a Nytro, but something they could throw around would be nice. They don't need to be fancy, and must be a little cheaper than what I have seen. $3000 for a 120 is enough to keep a lot of people out of the sport. I totally agree with the tether being a factory item. I am sick of adding them. They are the only non self induced problem I have ever had on a Yamaha.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree 100%! $3000 for a 120 is highway robbery. BRP built the all new Spark Seadoo for next year for like $6000? Why not a real midsize kids sled?

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep cat /(all manufactures )should be putting a tether on all the sleds,basic safety. I buy new every 2 or so years but what is the difference from 2014-2015.... If we buy a new sleds this year it will only be to be on warranty, and probably will be a change in brand. I now need to ride a viper 162, another few pros and a couple of doos without the t motion. hmmm might be easier to ride the 2013 for another year.

Funny how cat doing so little to impress us turned me off of buying.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep cat /(all manufactures )should be putting a tether on all the sleds,basic safety. I buy new every 2 or so years but what is the difference from 2014-2015.... If we buy a new sleds this year it will only be to be on warranty, and probably will be a change in brand. I now need to ride a viper 162, another few pros and a couple of doos without the t motion. hmmm might be easier to ride the 2013 for another year.

Funny how cat doing so little to impress us turned me off of buying.
Tether should be a must although they are $40 and require a drill and 30min to install I don't get why it's the buyers problem after spending 12-15k on a new sled. Although the changes aren't as drastic as most of us had hoped for I would be buying a new cat anyway unless doo or poo do something drastic themselves, until I bought my 13 M800 in December I had to have an xm buy couldn't afford the extra few thousand, after 500k on my proclimb and a few more hours on friends xm and pro's I prefer the handling and power combination of my cat, not saying they couldn't use improvement or that they're the best sled ever made just that for me it's the best fit still. I am definitely intrigued by the viper turbo but I'm thinking it'll be like the 1100T, if you're not Chris Brown and I'm far from it, it'll be great for making pulls, need some weight shaving and handling improvement, it's hard to not go four stroke turbo knowing the power to reliability though

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are some super big presumptions on here before anyone has really ridden the new sled. If it ain't broke don'e fix it. For the few that are willing to jump ship because they didn't use HID headlights or better shocks...see ya! The PCs took a couple years to work the bugs out, but Cat has THE LIGHTEST sled on the snow once it has been ridden, I'm talking real world snow accumulation and not what it weighs in the shop all dry and no fluids. This has been verified by a couple independent studies.

The 2014's are lighter, stronger, hold more fuel, have a new seat, new running boards clear more snow, the new lighter Limited cooler was used and resulted in significant weight savings on the tunnel from snow accumulation, the front spindles were re-designed, the motor is proven and reliable, and has been pull and go. What more do you want?

Personally, I'm glad they didn't change a ton of stuff on the 2015, they have a solid sled, with a solid motor. They've also now addressed the track stabbing from the factory, so its even more reliable. Its easy to ride and is reliable, I don't think anyone coul argue that Cat has the most reliable 800 on the market.

A new model only kills the resale of the old models, and makes parts harder and harder to come by as manufacturers don't want to re-tool all the time for all the different chassis'. One of the best moves Cat ever did was make the M for as long as they did. Lots of parts available and easier for the aftermarket to make good, cheap parts for us as well. Hoping they do the same with the PC.

Not jazzed on the price though, not sure what Cat is doing there. And yes, fully agree these should come with tether from the factory. Cmon Cat, its 2014!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I think there are some super big presumptions on here before anyone has really ridden the new sled. If it ain't broke don'e fix it. For the few that are willing to jump ship because they didn't use HID headlights or better shocks...see ya! The PCs took a couple years to work the bugs out, but Cat has THE LIGHTEST sled on the snow once it has been ridden, I'm talking real world snow accumulation and not what it weighs in the shop all dry and no fluids. This has been verified by a couple independent studies.

The 2014's are lighter, stronger, hold more fuel, have a new seat, new running boards clear more snow, the new lighter Limited cooler was used and resulted in significant weight savings on the tunnel from snow accumulation, the front spindles were re-designed, the motor is proven and reliable, and has been pull and go. What more do you want?

Personally, I'm glad they didn't change a ton of stuff on the 2015, they have a solid sled, with a solid motor. They've also now addressed the track stabbing from the factory, so its even more reliable. Its easy to ride and is reliable, I don't think anyone coul argue that Cat has the most reliable 800 on the market.

A new model only kills the resale of the old models, and makes parts harder and harder to come by as manufacturers don't want to re-tool all the time for all the different chassis'. One of the best moves Cat ever did was make the M for as long as they did. Lots of parts available and easier for the aftermarket to make good, cheap parts for us as well. Hoping they do the same with the PC.

Not jazzed on the price though, not sure what Cat is doing there. And yes, fully agree these should come with tether from the factory. Cmon Cat, its 2014!

HUGE factor that nobody has brought up yet... When the XM came out... All I was listening to was people complaining they wouldnt get one... becuase they could afford it... becuase nobody wanted the XP. If they re-invented sleds every year... you would NOT be able to afford to upgrade every couple years... becuase within two years... your sled would be so outdated you would be FORCED to keep it. Then dealers wouldnt be selling near as many machines... and they wouldnt be making the profits to keep things on the up and up! Its a cycle.... They have a way of doing things... and they stick to it. If you look back in history... it isnt hard to tell when.. and to what measure the change is going to be.... 2008 (XP), 2011 E-tech. The first year of a chassis is easy... everyone wants one. Second year they get all the people that had cold feet the first year (ill wait and see how they work) the third year is when they have to drop something to get people going... and thats generally when alot of people that cycle through machines buy anyways. ALL brands do this.. maybe in a different time frame.. but they do. MARKETING. XM, 2013, 2014 no HUGE changes... 2015......... well shall see. But you can bet it will be on par with the other chassis for years to change. As far as the cat goes... I think they made a good call this year! They didnt have any REAL problems last year.. they worked great... and the minimal problems they did have... they adressed AT THE FACTORY. And what you people are calling "small changes"..... The snow evacuation out of the footboards? I cant see how that is a small change AT ALL... That is a huge factor!! you can ride longer, better and harder without having to screw around with snow buildup every ten minutes! And ANY weight savings without sarcraficing stablity is a HUGE step forward... Thats technology.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That snow weight thing is hilarious. What exactly makes it hold less snow. Magic? All sleds are relatively the same when it comes to materials and components soooo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Very well written post!

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That snow weight thing is hilarious. What exactly makes it hold less snow. Magic? All sleds are relatively the same when it comes to materials and components soooo?

You really don't notice the amount of snow & ice hanging off the tunnels of other brands vs the new Cats??

Maxwell, you need to ride with some other brands in your group to notice this....lol

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You really don't notice the amount of snow & ice hanging off the tunnels of other brands vs the new Cats??

Maxwell, you need to ride with some other brands in your group to notice this....lol

No never noticed. I spend a lot of time at the cabin getting drunk and high and there is usually lots of cats parked there. But again they have an aluminum tunnel just like the others. Not a magic tunnel. So what's the magical explanation?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No never noticed. I spend a lot of time at the cabin getting drunk and high and there is usually lots of cats parked there. But again they have an aluminum tunnel just like the others. Not a magic tunnel. So what's the magical explanation?

yah, that could be part of the problem....powder coated tunnel? front cooler?...never mind.......that doolaide has affected your brain cells...you'd most likely never understand unless it had the word SKI-DOO on it......

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How good can they be if snow doesn't even want to ride it!

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Ok.. a TUNNEL holding more snow than another tunnel is pretty stupid... I just assumed everyone was talking about front compartment..... If your talking rear skid... MAYBE you could have a ported track that holds less snow? i dont know.... but really... the only time you are going to need to lift it is when its stuck.. in which case the ports wont really do anything.... But yea I duno...... A poweder coated tunnel over a non.... you might get an extra like .03 lb of snow that clings on to it or something... Its a U-shaped peice of aluminum lol.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok.. a TUNNEL holding more snow than another tunnel is pretty stupid... I just assumed everyone was talking about front compartment..... If your talking rear skid... MAYBE you could have a ported track that holds less snow? i dont know.... but really... the only time you are going to need to lift it is when its stuck.. in which case the ports wont really do anything.... But yea I duno...... A poweder coated tunnel over a non.... you might get an extra like .03 lb of snow that clings on to it or something... Its a U-shaped peice of aluminum lol.

well, whatever T-team...everybody/thing is stupid to you if you don't agree to it....lol.....I'm sure you've seen the video on snow build up....but oh yah...Cat Propaganda....ha ha
Don't really know the reason as I just thought it was front cooler & powder coating.....maybe it is the actual tunnel design?? don't know
....but I know for a fact that when we stop for a break...our Polaris riding friends are kicking big chunks of ice from there track/tunnel area vs ours....why is that.....you tell me. Is that ice build up extra weight....absolutely!
Do what you gotta do to get your point across....call me a five year old....call me stupid......I see what I see...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow buildup is a huge issue. Just haven't seen it myself. No one is saying your wrong. I bet my sled carts 50-100lbs of snow depending on conditions. Perhaps minimizing the cooling surface helps. Keeps the aluminum cold. Skidoo runs a full length cooler and I think Polaris does?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HUGE factor that nobody has brought up yet... When the XM came out... All I was listening to was people complaining they wouldnt get one... becuase they could afford it... becuase nobody wanted the XP. If they re-invented sleds every year... you would NOT be able to afford to upgrade every couple years... becuase within two years... your sled would be so outdated you would be FORCED to keep it. Then dealers wouldnt be selling near as many machines... and they wouldnt be making the profits to keep things on the up and up! Its a cycle.... They have a way of doing things... and they stick to it. If you look back in history... it isnt hard to tell when.. and to what measure the change is going to be.... 2008 (XP), 2011 E-tech. The first year of a chassis is easy... everyone wants one. Second year they get all the people that had cold feet the first year (ill wait and see how they work) the third year is when they have to drop something to get people going... and thats generally when alot of people that cycle through machines buy anyways. ALL brands do this.. maybe in a different time frame.. but they do. MARKETING. XM, 2013, 2014 no HUGE changes... 2015......... well shall see. But you can bet it will be on par with the other chassis for years to change. As far as the cat goes... I think they made a good call this year! They didnt have any REAL problems last year.. they worked great... and the minimal problems they did have... they adressed AT THE FACTORY. And what you people are calling "small changes"..... The snow evacuation out of the footboards? I cant see how that is a small change AT ALL... That is a huge factor!! you can ride longer, better and harder without having to screw around with snow buildup every ten minutes! And ANY weight savings without sarcraficing stablity is a HUGE step forward... Thats technology.

well written T! Its amazing what you post when you leave your feelings out of it.

Top Bottom