how to tell if engine has been updated

jerryscott

Reaction score
When polaris did that recall or update when the replaced the pistons and head is there a way you can tell, if you don't have the serial number of the old sled to run the vin to see if it's been done

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When polaris did that recall or update when the replaced the pistons and head is there a way you can tell, if you don't have the serial number of the old sled to run the vin to see if it's been done

Why wouldn't you have the SN# ? The shops usually place stickers inside the engine compartment of the service dates.

jerryscott

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you have the SN# ? The shops usually place stickers inside the engine compartment of the service dates.

yes that would work however my motor blew up and i got a engine from a wrecker which is why i'm trying to find out if it has been done or not. I don't have the serial number from the sled that it came out of

tiberius71

Reaction score
Look at where the spark plugs meet the head. If the spark plugs sit flat on the head then no update has been done. If the plugs sit in an indent, then the update has been done.

jerryscott

Reaction score
Look at where the spark plugs meet the head. If the spark plugs sit flat on the head then no update has been done. If the plugs sit in an indent, then the update has been done.

I had a look at the head and the spark plugs sit on top of a small dome is that what your refering too

tiberius71

Reaction score
The plugs should be sitting in an indent (where the plug gasket meets the cyl head - almost like a cup) if the update has been done. If it has not been done then the plug gasket will mate with a flat spot on the head - no indent. If you post a picture of the plug i can tell you for sure.

jerryscott

Reaction score
I just pulled the spark plug out of the engine i got and yes it does sit in a small cup and doesn't fit flat on the head, thanks for your help

Top Bottom