How to measure a track.....

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up a used track for my project. Was told it was a 144" Challenger, but I dont know as I dont see any length stamped on it. How does one measure a track? Been reading on a few ways but it just doesnt make sence to me. Can someone help me out? Thanks.:eek:

snowdad4

Reaction score
count the windows on one side of the track, if every third is closed, count them as open. multiply the number of windows by the pitch of the track. most 144's are 2.52 pitch, so you should have roughly 57 windows.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
OR...you could just get a soft measuring tape and measure it... 121, 136, 144, 151 ect...

Bogger :beer:

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I counted the windows (holes), and I got 28, so I am taking it as it's a 144" track. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up a used track for my project. Was told it was a 144" Challenger, but I dont know as I dont see any length stamped on it. How does one measure a track? Been reading on a few ways but it just doesnt make sence to me. Can someone help me out? Thanks.:eek:

Is there a part number stamped on it? If so, google it or have a look on the Camoplast site.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I count 10 drive lugs (inside of the track) and measure the total distance then divide by 10 to get the track pitch. Then just count the drive lugs and multiply by the pitch.

You could also just run a piece of rope around the inside then measure it (if you don't have a soft tape which I don't).

Shawn

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I counted the windows (holes), and I got 28, so I am taking it as it's a 144" track. Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

if there is only 28 i am guessing every second one is open and that would only give you a 141 not 144. on a 2.52 pitch

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if there is only 28 i am guessing every second one is open and that would only give you a 141 not 144. on a 2.52 pitch
I dont know what I have, wish they would just stamp them. Im just going to wrap a rope around it and measure. I need to know before I rip my sled apart. Thanks for everyones input. :d

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled up the model number off the track online, and it show it to be a 15 X 144 X 2 track, :) Glad to know for sure now, thanks for everyones input. :d

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I know what size the track is, what do I need to put that on my Crossfire. I have the factory 136 track. I was told that I may not need rail extension and to just move my rails back 4", not sure if thats the way to do things. Will I need more wheels for the rails? Do I have to change any gears or teeth somewhere? What about a tunnel extension? Just need some input before I call around and get some prices on having it installed, as I dont have a warm garage to rip my sled apart. Dont want to get taken advantage of. Not to sure if this is a BIG job or not, Im not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but know NOTHING about diamond drives and whats under that cover...IM AFRAID.:eek: So, with all that being said, if some of my fellow sled fanatics have any sugestions or tips, I sure would appreciate it. Cant wait to try it after its all switched over. Thanks :d

snowdad4

Reaction score
rail extensions are the quickest easiest way. any way you go, the drive case has to come apart to change tracks. 136-144=8". 1/2 that is 4". thats what you need for extensions. relocating the skid saves from buying extensions, but is way more labor intensive. mounting points would move back 4" and down proportionately for the front arm and rear scissor locations at the tunnel. tunnel ext is recommended.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:confused:I have asked around to a few people so this is where i am getting my info from, just not sure its accurate. Was told if I just moved back my rails 4", it would also lift my sled UP conciderably. More would be nice, just dont see how. Is doing this track switch over and rail extensions a big job? :d

snowdad4

Reaction score
your not moving the rails, your moving the whole skid back in the tunnel. dont see how it would lift the sled much. i usually drop the bolts down a bit on relocates. like 5/8" at w arm and 1- 1 1/2" at the rear mount. never had a dd apart. that the biggest pain on any track removal is getting the driveshaft out and the skid and drive shaft back in. the rest is easy.

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went and bought rail extensions today, ordered new green sliders, figure if its apart, put new ones on, plus they need to be longer as I see it. Have new DDgear oil, should be ready to go next week. Sliders will be in Monday.. hopefully. NOW.. just need warm weather to do it. Wish I had a garage, makes jobs so much easier. Cant wait to ride it after. :d Will try to take pictures as things progress. :cool:

Labradorian

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now that I know what size the track is, what do I need to put that on my Crossfire. I have the factory 136 track. I was told that I may not need rail extension and to just move my rails back 4", not sure if thats the way to do things. Will I need more wheels for the rails? Do I have to change any gears or teeth somewhere? What about a tunnel extension? Just need some input before I call around and get some prices on having it installed, as I dont have a warm garage to rip my sled apart. Dont want to get taken advantage of. Not to sure if this is a BIG job or not, Im not afraid of getting my hands dirty, but know NOTHING about diamond drives and whats under that cover...IM AFRAID.:eek: So, with all that being said, if some of my fellow sled fanatics have any sugestions or tips, I sure would appreciate it. Cant wait to try it after its all switched over. Thanks :d

I extended my doo from 121 to 144. I simply bought a kit from Tracks USA, which includes a track(1.5"), rail extensions and tunnel extension.

Im sure you can get away without the tunnel extention. it's only 4". depends on how much your tunnel extends out over the back of your track now.....

The only other thing I did change was the top gear in the chaincase.......put one in that was 2 teeth smaller...........this was based on others advice............seems to work fine. but you are only going from 136 to 144 so as for gearing I would't worry to much..........try it.............not sure what adjustments in gearing can be done on the AC's with diamond drive.

I did not add any more wheels to my skid..............no issues....

Also these rail extensions are slightly angled up so on hard pack you can turn a little easier.........less track touching the snow.

see pics below of the kit installed........

Attachments

• 1 8.jpg
    1 8.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 46
  • phprXnVeOPM.jpg
    phprXnVeOPM.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 38

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I extended my doo from 121 to 144. I simply bought a kit from Tracks USA, which includes a track(1.5"), rail extensions and tunnel extension.

Im sure you can get away without the tunnel extention. it's only 4". depends on how much your tunnel extends out over the back of your track now.....

The only other thing I did change was the top gear in the chaincase.......put one in that was 2 teeth smaller...........this was based on others advice............seems to work fine. but you are only going from 136 to 144 so as for gearing I would't worry to much..........try it.............not sure what adjustments in gearing can be done on the AC's with diamond drive.

I did not add any more wheels to my skid..............no issues...

Also these rail extensions are slightly angled up so on hard pack you can turn a little easier.........less track touching the snow.

see pics below of the kit installed........

Looks good, nice job. I am proboly going to take it in the CC Cycle in Westlock. It's something I dont want to tackle, not familuar enough to do it. Pay 2 hours of labour, and its done right.....:d

Top Bottom