How to ancor a sled deck?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's more than 1 guy on here who hasn't thought to re-tighten the turn-buckles once one loads his or her toy on said apparatus. I'm glad this subject came to light so others can learn from it. Please do reply once you speak with your insurance company.

Cheers
Chris
talked to the Grimshaw Co-Operator's Insurance agent today, he said there is nothing he could find about securement methods either for or against tunbuckles or bolts.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't think anyone was older than me !!!:d
lol...I used to freak over that stuff. stepmom wrote "wash me" in the dust on the side of my '91 GM once while parked at my pa's....I flipped out....I was 22 and it was my first brand new vehicle. :d

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I CHECKED WITH STATE FARM A LONG TIME AGO AND SAME SAID.... BUT, MUST BE SECURED AS PER THE ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION TRAFFIC ACTS.... I JUST MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS VERY SOLID AND HEAVY DUTY TURNBUCKLES AND SLEDS PROPERLY SECURED........I WOULD SUSPECT IF LOAD CAME UNDONE, THE INSURANCE COMPANY MIGHT BUCK AT COVERAGE, BUT I SUSPECT THEY WOULD HAVE TO COVER IT, AND THEN RAISE RATES TO THE POINT YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO BE WITH THAT COMPANY ANYMORE?:confused:

Jake

Reaction score
Your right , must be marked with the working load limit. What is the load rating of the tie downs points in the box?
When the deck is bolted in it is "permanently attached".

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right , must be marked with the working load limit. What is the load rating of the tie downs points in the box?
When the deck is bolted in it is "permanently attached".
GM service dept says 350 lbs each. you're freaking me out now, it's like I'm back in rigging school. you a DOT?
:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the 4 corners with regular turnbuckles. And 2 2,000lbs tie downs threw my gooseneck hitch break away chain loop to the 4 corners. The tie downs cut down on my storage, but I don't trust the plastic corners for holding all that weight, esp since my truck is only 6'6" box with 162" sled. But the deck doesn't move one bit.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance corporation of British Columbia as well as some private insurance companies will not cover your deck if it's not permanently attached to your truck. Permanently means bolted not turn buckles. Buddy of mine had one quad on deck, went around corner and quad and deck tipped over wiping out side of truck. The turn buckles stripped out due to not retightening once the two quads were loaded(one was off loaded). No insurance due to turnbuckles.

Cheers
Chris

I don't belive that, So truck campers have no insurance you can't Permanently bolt them down.

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
You would be shocked if you do a pull test on those factory tie down points. They are not rated!!!!! It is not safe to tie down anything that you don't want to lose.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would be shocked if you do a pull test on those factory tie down points. They are not rated!!!!! It is not safe to tie down anything that you don't want to lose.
I couldn't find any weight rating in my owner's manual and called GM service dept, they told me they were rated at 350lbs each, are they bs'ing me? I have the deck secured to camper bars front and back as well for added security, the inside turnbuckles are always fiddlestring tight and have shown no deformation of the loops or box corners in 3 years of hauling sleds and quads.

mebbe a guy should give them the mythbusters force guage test....:d

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine are rated in my owners manual! So is my trailer hitch, so you're telling me they are both not?

chelle

Marathon Truck Decks
Reaction score
How ever you choose to fasten your deck to your truck is entirely up to you. Our recomendation is to bolt it through the box of the truck using a minimum 5/8" plywood base plate on top and a 1/2" mounting plate under. 1/2" Gr. 5 bolt has a tensile str of around 100,000 psi and a yeild around 120,000. If you never have an accident then the factory tie downs are fine I'm sure. Your deck weighs aprox #350 with ramp + two sleds or quads, let's say 500 a piece, that brings us to #1350. If you were ever in an accident you want the deck to stay where it is and not be on the road in front of you. We of course also recomend that everyone follow the rules on properly securing a quad or sled to your deck.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holliday.

Cheers

M.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI.
The tiedowns at each corner inside your box are only rated for 500LBS for all 4 of them combined.
If you take a look at them you will see there are only 4 spot welds on each one.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI.
The tiedowns at each corner inside your box are only rated for 500LBS for all 4 of them combined.
If you take a look at them you will see there are only 4 spot welds on each one.

Depends on the vehicle. My dodge ones are plastic and screwed on. They are ok for tieing down minor things but don't trust for a heavy deck!

Top Bottom